Iced Tea v Water

Options
Does anyone count unsweetened iced tea as part of their water intake? I can drink the heck out of iced tea, but have a hard time with water, I still put the iced tea in my food diary, but since it's mostly water, I am trying to justify counting it as such.

Replies

• lizramsay2
    Options
    Unless you are drinking decaf tea then it's wouldn't be the same. Tea and coffee have caffeine which are diuretics and would counteract the water intake. Have you tried making a flavored water, like cucumber & lemon; strawberry; mint; you can use whatever you like, makes it more like you are drinking something you actauuly like:)
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    "Coffee and tea also count in your tally. Many used to believe that they were dehydrating, but that myth has been debunked. The diuretic effect does not offset hydration." - WebMD ( http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/healthy-beverages )

I typically dilute my teas and juices in water, to flavor it. I log the water as water, and the rest as what it is. As far as "counting" the intake for hydration purposes, 8oz = 8oz, and as long as my intake is > 64 oz a day, I'm happy with it.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I'd count it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If I logged water, I absolutely would log unsweetened tea as water. I'd even log sweetened tea as water but also log it as food because of the calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    lizramsay2 wrote: »
    Unless you are drinking decaf tea then it's wouldn't be the same. Tea and coffee have caffeine which are diuretics and would counteract the water intake.

Drinking more water than your system needs is also diuretic. In fact, the diuretic affect is exactly why most people drink a lot of water.
  • 9Rounder
    9Rounder Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely count unsweetened iced tea or even sugar free lemonade as water. It's calorie free and it's liquid. Enjoy it! Whatever gets you drinking is the point.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Flavored water is still water. Count that tea.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Is it liquid? Is it calorie free? Yes to both means it goes in the water log.
  • stmcfred
    stmcfred Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Just because it's liquid and calorie free doesn't mean it should automatically be counted as water intake. Diet Pop for example.