How to Roast Sweet Potatoes Without Using Butter or Oil

What's the best way to roast sweet potatoes (cubed, not whole) without using butter or oil? I haven't had any luck finding a recipe that doesn't use either. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• lavagirlangie
    lavagirlangie Posts: 19 Member
    I like sweet potatoes cooked in the microwave ( whole ) for 5-6 minutes. I think the sugar content makes them cook faster. I serve it with a dollop of fat free sour cream. This tastes delicious. The grocery store has the prewashed and wrapped in plastic ones also.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    There isn't a good way.

You can just follow your usual procedure and throw them in the oven without. They will still overall taste fine, but won't color as nicely or evenly, and the exterior texture won't be as nice. Oh, and they'll stick to the pan, so line that sucker with parchment or a silicon mat.

You can get away with the bare minimum of oil by slicking your hands with a few drops of oil and rubbing each of the cubes so they get a slight sheen.

If you don't want to do that, I'd bake them whole rather than roasting them cubed, where I you.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    I slice about 1/4" thick and roast at 425 for about 10-12 minutes/side. The only fat I use is a bit of cooking spray to keep them from sticking. This also works with sweet potato wedges, you'll just want to adjust the cooking time as necessary.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I only use 1 tsp of oil for a whole potato, honestly. It works just fine. I'm sure most of it just sticks to the pan too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Just use a small amount of oil. You don't need a recipe. Chop it up and either mix them around in about a tsp (easier to do in a bowl) or use a spray oil if you don't mind it or a an oil mist thingy. Add a bit of salt. Roast.

It's not that many calories at all.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I only use 1 tsp of oil for a whole potato, honestly. It works just fine. I'm sure most of it just sticks to the pan too.

This. I toss one cubed sweet potato with 4g of oil before roasting. Thorough tossing -- hardly a trace is left in the bowl when I'm done lol. Sometimes I'll toss some greens in the bowl afterwards to pick up those traces. It only adds, what, 35 calories? And it's not great to cut all fats out of your diet anyway.
  • melfrasure
    melfrasure Posts: 1 Member
    I bought a sprayer and put olive oil in it and rather than pouring misting uses only a fraction of the oil. I love this and use it often. You can even put salad dressing in these sprayers.

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    I just cut it up, line the pan with parchment paper, and cook.

Done.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    jkwolly wrote: »
    I just cut it up, line the pan with parchment paper, and cook.

Done.

This works. It doesn't taste as good as with some type of fat IMO, but they will still cook nicely and will still carmelize.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

This^

Dietary fat doesn't make you fat. Just use a moderate amount of oil, a little goes a long way.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    What's wrong with butter or oil?

Fat is essential for proper nutrition…
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    The OP didn't say fat was bad, but merely asked for cooking advice.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member

And I'm sure the reason she specifically included "without using butter or oil" is because she is misinformed about those two ingredients…
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    melfrasure wrote: »
    I bought a sprayer and put olive oil in it and rather than pouring misting uses only a fraction of the oil. I love this and use it often. You can even put salad dressing in these sprayers.
    Good idea.

OP if you cannot find any recipes that omit fat than just use less of it. If for calorie purposes. It is okay to use butter and oil.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited March 2015

And I'm sure the reason she specifically included "without using butter or oil" is because she is misinformed about those two ingredients…
    I know all abouts the fats and butters, but I don't use any on my sweet potatoes/yams when I cook them. I save it for the PB I add to said sweet potatoes/yam.

I usually only assume when OP is on a rant-o-rama about all the bad fats n shiz.

edit: holy man I can't type today worth crap.