Gym-phobic Newbie seeking a cure.

Options
I am awesome, but
I'm obese.
I'm aware of this.
I want to change it.

I have changed my diet up (which is still a work in progress) I have made healthier choices. I have stopped coddling myself. Now all that's left is getting involved in a good exercise regimen.

Here's the deal. I AM NOT making ANY excuses for myself. I'm a fatass. I'm also a badass but that's beside the point. I am the one that ate my feelings to get to this point and I am the one who has to dig myself out from under the excuses in order to fix it.

I have decided that I want to try going to the gym, which is kind of a big deal for me. I don't really care what others think about me, but I am a tad socially awkward in environments where everyone around me is super intense.... and sweaty.

I have finally talked myself into a gym membership (with a hefty discount through my job)
I didn't want to pay for fitness at first, but then i realized it's one of the only things that will actually motivate me to exercise. I want to get my money's worth.

My question is this. Being as heavy as I am, my main goal is to lose weight so I can keep up with my son when he gets older. Because of my fatassery and a history of injuries, my knees are almost wrecked, so It's difficult ,but not impossible to find ways to work out. What is the best way for me to work out to obtain this goal. I don't necessarily want to be "ripped" I just want to be healthy. Is cardio best? Strength training? I don't know where to start and don't want to fly blindly into the night without any guidance. Tips? Comments? Snide remarks?

Replies

• starseedxo
    starseedxo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you're starting from scratch, you may want to invest in a few sessions with a personal trainer. They'll be able to help you figure out what you are doing, and show you the correct way to do the movements, so you don't get injured. Other than that, find something you enjoy doing. Try a bunch of different things at first. Swimming, running, lifting, biking. If you don't enjoy it, you won't keep it up. Happy training!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    First remember, fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. So, keep on eating well and you’ll see changes over time.

Your exercise goals appear to be in line with a mixed program. You want to have the ability to move and do things. I’d start with a basic compound movement strength program (strong lifts, New Rules for Lifting for Women, etc.). I’d mix in days of light cardio and/or yoga.

Given that you don’t have much experience with this, and you have some anxiety, I’d strongly recommend you find a trainer you like. They can guide you through (form), keep you focused and committed, etc. A good trainer will give you the information you need to be able to go it alone after a while. Although some trainers are so good, you want to stick with them after you could leave because they are so motivating and you’re learning more each time.

It sounds like you’ve made a commitment. That’s huge. Congratulations! Now, it is up to you to execute on that commitment.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Can you afford a personal trainer for a few sessions?

Find one that has good recommendations and talk through your health issues

Join classes if that's your thing

Personally I think progressive lifting is ideal, mixed up with a lot of walking and some short burst cardio

there are a number of existing programmes you can follow like http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    New rules of lifting for women
    Strong curves
    Ice cream fitness

With regards to your diet, rather than making healthy choices, you could use MFP for its calorie counting facility ... Because eating at a defecit works
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest a trainer. It took me two tries to find the one that I have been with for over a year. I need accountability and quite frankly I need someone to plan my workouts for me. Yes that sounds really lazy and I don't care. :smile: Also, try finding a class at your gym that you like. I found I love several classes and have met some nice people in there. Again, I don't have to think about if I am doing enough in a class I just get told what to do.
  • desdiets
    desdiets Posts: 4
    Options
    i feel like a good place to start would be swimming! i have 2 disc herniations so i understand how hard it is to workout when you're in pain. any kind of water exercise is easy on the body because you're basically weightless. you can build your strength and stamina that way, and then start incorporating stretches and brisk walking at your own pace until you feel comfortable moving on to more land and labor intensive workouts, haha. congrats to you for wanting to make a change! im just starting this journey as well, and i am also a chunkster so i feel ya on all of the above :)
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    We've all been the new person at the gym :)

If you are just signing up, some gyms do a free session or two with a personal trainer. If yours does that, I'd jump on it. If they don't, you can still ask for a tour so at least you know where everything is.

No one gets ripped by accident so you don't really have to worry about it, unless you decide later on that you want to get ripped.

Go in with a plan! Makes life so much easier. Strong lifts ( It's a lot of squatting which may be problematic for your knees, since you said you have knee issues), Starting Strength, Ice Cream 5x5, or scope out Bodybuilding.com. They have a pretty decent workout data base.

Diet: Stick with MFP and counting your calories. MFP way is designed to eat back exercise calories. If you log your cardio- I'd suggest eating back 50-75% of the calories because sometimes MFP or the machine gives you a bloated number.

Can I just say I freaking love your attitude- Yes you are awesome and Yes you are a badass :)

Good luck OP!!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    No snide remarks. I admire your determination. When I started out, I used the elliptical a lot, still do actually. It is pretty easy on the knees and you can start out an easy level and move up in time and intensity.

Don't worry about what others think. I am pretty sure most of them don't pay much attention. I see people of all levels and ages. Anywhere from latest gym clothes fashion all the way to jeans (which I don't recommend). I usually wear a long sleeved t-shirt and either sweat pants or some comfy pants.

Congrats on your decision and keep at it.

One of my co-workers (tri-athlete) tells me, "weight loss is mostly about eating at a calorie deficit". Great advice which has proven true for me over the past 3 years.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees as well and I have found water aerobics to be less stressful on the knees. It is fun too. You might try walking on a tread mill or stationary bicycling. I would stay away from the stair stepper, it was really hard on the knees. The most important thing is to find something you enjoy, or two or three things you enjoy, so you will stay with it.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    You have some great advice here, but just want to add something that might help with the gym intimidation. You mentioned you have some anxiety around intense (and sweaty, haha) people. I think the vast majority of people at the gym are NOT intense (but I'd say most are sweaty, sorry!). They're people like you and me who just want to be healthier and get our workouts in and need a place to do it. The nerd in the cubicle next to me goes to the gym. My grandmother goes to the gym. It's all good.

Also, I admire your badassery and a lot of people could learn a thing or two from you, so keep spreading your badassness please.
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    At my gym there are a mixed bag of ages and fitness levels. Do what all those other people said to do; do something that you will continue doing over the long haul. I do cardio on three days and lift three days. And the one thing you will need (besides perhaps a trainer for a little while) is earbuds and your favorite workout music. Earbuds provide a bubble of invisibility around you so that even when you feel self conscious, you will still go to the gym. They made all the difference to me and they still help distract me whenever I'm doing something I think might be trying to kill me.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Personally I found bodybuilding.com/fun/the-ultimate-30-day-beginners-guide-to-fitness.html a really great launching point. There are videos for all the exercises, it walks you through the basics of pretty much everything you need to start (nutrition, importance of stretching, rest, cardio, weights, the whole shebang) It also has daily challenges to help keep you motivated.

I want to give you a giant high five for wanting to get in the gym - that is awesome!!! You can totally do this, we all started out as newbies at one point!
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You're right you are awesome. Congratulations on making that first commitment to a healthier you. Remember that nutrition is also important as well as the gym!

That being said I would go with what others said and get a personal trainer for a few sessions if you can.

I am a cardio person, not to much into lifting so my perspective comes from there. There are plenty of low impact cardio that you can do such as swimming, elliptical, walking. stationary bike.

You know what I think when I see someone who is overweight at the gym, sweating, and working hard? One of two things - Nothing because I don't really observe others while I'm there, or that they are awesome I remember how much harder it was to do these things at the gym while overweight. I have great admiration for them.

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    forrl wrote: »
    At my gym there are a mixed bag of ages and fitness levels. Do what all those other people said to do; do something that you will continue doing over the long haul. I do cardio on three days and lift three days. And the one thing you will need (besides perhaps a trainer for a little while) is earbuds and your favorite workout music. Earbuds provide a bubble of invisibility around you so that even when you feel self conscious, you will still go to the gym. They made all the difference to me and they still help distract me whenever I'm doing something I think might be trying to kill me.

^^Great tip! You are in your own world and the time goes by faster. My gym has tv screens on most of the recumbent bikes, ellipticals and tread mills if you don't want to listen to music.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Definitely try to get a session (or a few) with a trainer if possible -- it's much easier to be the brand-new person in the gym when you're with someone.

I love lifting and encourage everyone to try it, but at this point the most important thing is for you to have a good experience and find something you like. Without worrying about what burns more calories (or anything else like that), what sounds like fun to you? If it's cardio, pick a machine and try it. Classes? Try a bunch until you find one you like (and until you find a group of people you like, because the same type of class can feel very different when you have different students and a different instructor). Lifting? Stronglifts and Starting Strength are good beginner programs. If you'd feel more comfortable doing bodyweight exercises (no weights), look into Convict Conditioning or You Are Your Own Gym.

One thing that newbies don't tend to know is that gyms have different atmospheres at different times of day. Ask the front desk about their peak times and quiet times. I find it MUCH easier to go before work (even though it sucks to get up early) because my gym is quiet and anyone in the gym at 6:30am is there to work. After work/during peak hours, a lot of people are really there to socialize and it was distracting and overwhelming for me.
  • pagefan
    pagefan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I hope they meant something other than this...>With regards to your diet, rather than making healthy choices, you could use MFP for its calorie counting facility ... Because eating at a defecit works < because if they meant, just eat at a deficit and not choose healthy voluminous foods, then, I WANT TO SCREAM.. MAKE HEALTHY CHOICES. you want to re train your body to crave healthy food.. sure, you can deficit with a diet of "Wendy's" tacos and ice cream but that will also put your total badass back to fatass in no time flat.. abs are made in the kitchen and the adage, you are what you eat. is TRUE. I am lucky, have always been a gym/ and or work out person / have some limitations now due to a post back surgery nerve thing.. any advice or info, just friend me. I'm a good coach. Once you drop some weight, your knees (and the rest of you will thank you) love that you are ready... that's the first big step. I'd try a small boutique facility / trainer, and see what you are capable of and start small.. one sit up. one squat . one push up. a day. you get the idea. Happy WORK OUT !
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Both would be best for losing weight. Eating is MOST important. If you can afford a PT at the gym its your best option. Start small and give it time. Plenty of time. Scale goes up scale goes down. Don't get discouraged as it fluctuates. Remember how long it took to get where you are and give your body ample time to get where you envision yourself. No one walks into the gym and knows exactly what to do, you learn everyday. The first time I walked into a gym I was almost 100lbs heavier and it took TIME and dedication. Good luck
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Also, if you do start lifting, don't be intimidated by the bigger guys! They're typically the nicest, most helpful people in the gym.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    pagefan wrote: »
    I hope they meant something other than this...>With regards to your diet, rather than making healthy choices, you could use MFP for its calorie counting facility ... Because eating at a defecit works < because if they meant, just eat at a deficit and not choose healthy voluminous foods, then, I WANT TO SCREAM.. MAKE HEALTHY CHOICES. you want to re train your body to crave healthy food.. sure, you can deficit with a diet of "Wendy's" tacos and ice cream but that will also put your total badass back to fatass in no time flat.. abs are made in the kitchen and the adage, you are what you eat. is TRUE. I am lucky, have always been a gym/ and or work out person / have some limitations now due to a post back surgery nerve thing.. any advice or info, just friend me. I'm a good coach. Once you drop some weight, your knees (and the rest of you will thank you) love that you are ready... that's the first big step. I'd try a small boutique facility / trainer, and see what you are capable of and start small.. one sit up. one squat . one push up. a day. you get the idea. Happy WORK OUT !

No one advocates for a diet 100% fast food. People preach moderation. You can still enjoy Wendy's from time to time while working it in your calorie allotment. It's scientifically impossible to put on weight if your body is burning more calories than it is consuming. So having fast food every now and thenwill not make OP a "fata**" again.

If that was the case having the Wendy's I had for lunch last week would have undone all the work I had done to lose my 35 pounds.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was you 6 months ago, obese and scared spitless of joining the gym. Bring my fat *kitten* into a gym and work out next to all these ripped folks? No way. Well I forced myself to do it and now realize how silly I was being. The gym is made up of all shapes and sizes, and different ages and fitness levels. No one else judges or cares about what other people are doing.

Go with mixed cardio and strength training. I got a trainer for 3 sessions to show me the basics I should be working on, and how to use the basic equipment, if it's in your budget I'd recommend the same. Good luck and kudos for making this step. I bet you'll love the gym once you go there a few times.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to go, I was nervous about going. Then I realized that the people that go to the gym to work out don't care about me (nothing personal). As long as I wiped down my gear, no one cared what I looked like. I was the fattest girl in Zumba (it was free with membership) and didn't care, the instructers didn't care, we were there, we were moing.

I did a Personal Trainer 2 times a month (as much as I could afford) for a few months and I got to know the equipment better, and some interesting exercises I don't think I would have tried on my own. Exercise balls were scary (I'm going to pop this thing, right??), but now I know they're great.

It really made me feel better, I felt loose, more flexible, and if I hadn't forced myself to sign up and go to the gym, I wouldn't have had that.