Hiking/Backpacking

Options
PurpleYFronts
PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm hoping to set off on a couple of 2 - 3 day hikes this spring in order to get myself back into the way of hiking. Ultimately I'm seeking to do longer treks up to 7 - 10 days, hopefully within the next 12 - 24 months. I haven't slept under the stars for a long time so really excited about getting back into the great outdoors and fending for myself :D

Are any of you hardened backpackers who would have some personal and up-to-date advice on equipment, essential packing lists, lightweight tents and sleeping bags, cooking products, footwear etc. Ideally it would be stuff you have tried and tested and can vouch for, at least advise on whether its fit-for-purpose and hardwearing. I'm not over concerned with travelling Ultralight but would be keen to keep the pack weight manageable and comfortable.

Any advice on routes (I'm in the UK/EU) you have tried anywhere in the world or stories you have to share would also be most welcome!

Im currently reading 'The Backpackers Handbook' by Chris Townsend which is excellent, though slightly dated in terms of current equipment.

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    That sounds amazing! I haven't done anything more than day hikes but you might want to post your question in the Hiking Group as well.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/547-hikers-and-backpackers
  • PurpleYFronts
    Options
    Thanks so much, didnt realise there was a backpacking group:D
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'll post here :smiley:

I go a different way, I hammock, no tent for me.
    This is my present base weight:
    http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=12591

6.4kg.
    My hammock is a little heavy - It's a Hennessy, they're Canadian, but I don't know if they sell in the UK.
    I made all my insulation - top quilt and underquilt - gotta keep your butt warm in a hammock.
    I made my pack too. If you can hack it, frameless is the latest fad. My pack only weighs 390g. My old internal frame (bought in 92...) weighs 1900g!
    I use a canister stove. An Optimus Crux. They are Swedish, sold at least in Germany and Scandinavia. It's pretty light at 80g. The trend here is to go to alcohol stoves - often using tuna or cat food tins, cutting some holes, and using isopropyl alcohol as fuel. Really cheap, pretty light, easy to resupply, very little waste.
    I use GSI cookware, but I don't think they are sold outside North America.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    ^^ Love my GSI cookware! Found some good recipe ideas on this site: http://www.trailcooking.com/ You can make your own freezer bag cozy with items from your local dollar store. Make sure your backpack is comfortable and in decent shape. Last trek with friends I traded off my 20lb pack for my friends 40lb lopsided pack because she just couldn't carry it. It was a pain in the butt because it was broken in so many different places!
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I want to get into backpacking too. The great smokey mountains national park is only a couple hours away.

I want to do the four day hike to machu pichu in a year or two.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My tent is a tarp... and by tarp I mean piece of plastic sheeting with gromments in it that sets up on my trek poles. Two men sleep under it, cost less than 10 bucks and doesn't weigh a pound.

I made a little alcohol stove out of red bull can but I couldn't get the airflow right and probably won't mess with one again until I am actually planning a trip I need one on. Actually the last trip I took in Shawnee national forest is where I took my profile pic.
  • PurpleYFronts
    Options
    Excellent responses guys, many thanks