Jawbone Up

Okay, so I had a twenty minute conversation with a coworker today about her Jawbone Up and how much she loves it. She raved about how great it was and how she had a fitbit and didn't like that nearly as much as her up. So, since I was in the market for a fitness tracker, I looked it up on Amazon out of curiosity to see how much it was.

What I ended up noticing instead were the reviews. It has 3 stars out of 5, and a whole bunch of negative reviews.

So what I'm wondering is if it's actually the product's fault or if it's a fluke based off whoever they're ordering from. Does anyone have an Up? Do you like it? Does it leave anything to be desired as far as meeting expectations? While not as expensive as I thought it would be, I definitely don't want to spend $50 on a product I'm not going to like.

Replies

• sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 686 Member
    Trippy, was just searching for info on Jawbone UP syncing for MFP! :D

I have the Up 24 and I really like it. It's easy to get on/off and the battery charge lasts a while. I don't leave it on while showering/doing dishes because I'm paranoid. I'm not a huge fan of it's sleep tracker but the wrist alarm does it's job. It syncs up really well with my Galaxy 4 and the controls are idiot proof. The tips are kindof cheesy but I do like some of the advice and challenges they give.

You do have to be careful not to snag the "arms" on your shirt or afghans and stuff. I also end up with the ribbed print on my face every morning because of the way I sleep. I still don't get the negative calorie thing but that's a matter of me learning more about it.

Honestly, for under $50, it's not a bad investment. Feel free to friend me if you get one!
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    edited March 2015
    I love my Up24 (though I spent about $120 on mine!). I actually *like* the sleep tracker, and its results tend to match the experience I am conscious of, but then, I like knowing how much I slept since my sleep tends to be pretty poor quality.

It has pluses and minuses. I think the "step count" is simultaneously optimistic and a bit low - you have to be moving the arm with the band for the steps to register. Yes, in a perfect world, you arms naturally swing with your steps. If I'm carrying something, or playing with my phone, or for any number of other reasons, sometimes I don't swing my arms. The steps it does count, I think it counts a little optimistically, but maybe that's how it compensates for the possibility that we don't always move our arms when we walk.

For me, that's not a deal breaker. I consciously move more; I appreciate the tracking; I enjoy the extra calories it logs for me when it syncs to MFP.

I haven't found any solutions for syncing my Up to MFP - there is often a huge lag. Again, not a deal breaker for me, and I don't worry about it that much. For getting my Up to sync with my phone, turning the bluetooth off and back on seems to work pretty well.

I recommend you not charge it overnight if you like the sleep tracker.

I charge it when I know I'm going to be quiescent for a while.

I like the 30 minute "hey, you haven't moved" reminders, though my actually heeding them is a bit iffy.

Your mileage may vary.
  • jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    I like my up and the sleep tracker smart coach is kinda annoying and you have to put it on your ankle if you are cycling. I love the battery life thats probably why i decided to get it vs others.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    You can learn more in the MFPJawbone UP Bracelet group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/13420-jawbone-up-bracelet

I have both a Jawbone UP24 & a Fitbit Flex. They do the same thing, but Fitbit's customer service is way better than Jawbone's. And UP requires a compatible smartphone or tablet, while Fitbits can sync (via a dongle) with a computer.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    I have an UP. I wear it on my ankle to solve the issue with arm swings that another poster mentioned. I compared the steps I got that way with another step meter that is worn on the hip and they were in sync - the arm wasn't working for me since I'm almost always carrying stuff.

I mostly got it for the sleep tracker portion, as I have issues with insomnia and was curious how my nights were actually looking. I'm sure there are plenty of inaccuracies, but jawbone supposedly has the better sleep tech and I do find it's usually quite in sync with how I feel in the morning.

My suggestion is to go for it if you want it, but get the one that syncs wirelessly. Plugging it in to sync gets old after awhile.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Love my up 24, I've also read many negative comments but I haven't had issues.
  • GrannyCrayCray
    GrannyCrayCray Posts: 71 Member
    I love my Up24 (though I spent about $120 on mine!). I actually *like* the sleep tracker, and its results tend to match the experience I am conscious of, but then, I like knowing how much I slept since my sleep tends to be pretty poor quality.
    I like the 30 minute "hey, you haven't moved" reminders, though my actually heeding them is a bit iffy.
    tzarba wrote: »
    Love my up 24, I've also read many negative comments but I haven't had issues.
    ^^ Ditto <3 my UP24