Mirena and abdominal weight

Options
2»

Replies

• sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body reacts differently. I've had Mirena for almost a year now and haven't noticed any weight gain (that isn't my own fault from food and drink). I've lost 10 lbs so far and it's still in there working wonderfully. If you really feel like that was the contributing factor to your weight gain, you might consider taking it out and switching to something else.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Why not just have it removed? If I had something put in my body that wasn't absolutely "required" and it made me all wonky, I would simply have it taken out.
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    kbkeats wrote: »
    I've had the Mirena for (almost) 5 years; having it replaced next month. I've lost 44lbs, feel great and LOVE not having a period!!

668063607126353324.gif

THIS! ...is the best gif ever!!
  • emmooney235
    emmooney235 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've been on it since September, I think. The first couple months I felt terrible and had no appetite, but that wasn't all from Mirena I have other medical issues that were all acting up at the same time. Now I feel like everything has settled and I have not noticed any weight issues or bloating more than normal. What I have gained was due to my other issues all blowing up at once, and the only way my Hubby could get any food into me was to stick Taco Bell/Noodles/Smash Burger under my nose. :s My doctor stressed that it can take months to settle, in my case she warned me that it could take up to a full a year before it settled down. Even if I did start getting not so great side effects, they would have to be VERY severe for me to take it out. I'm 31, on Coumadin for the rest of my life. You don't want to know what blood thinners do to ones period. Due to the clotting disorder I already have this is about the 'safest' option that I have to control the bleeding. My Docs won't even consider a permanent solution.
  • spoonwalker
    spoonwalker Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena for a year and had to have it removed because right about 10 months of it in I started getting horrible pains that put me in the ER getting XRAYS and tests done. With no results my doctor finally told me that some women have had this happen with the mirena. Sure enough had it removed, it's been 3 months and have no had an ounce of pain since.

Everyone's body is different and will react different. I know a few people who got the shot and a couple gained a lot of weight and the others stayed the same or started losing weight. All of our bodies are different. Make the decision for yourself on how you want to proceed.
  • binksmom05
    Options
    I am 35.. on blood thinners and I too have mirena. I would say the hardest part is the limitations on certain foods. I would love to be your weightloss buddy.. maybe we could encourage each other

• Missy022014
    Missy022014 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    BC affects everyone differently. If it isn't working for you and you think your weight gain is directly related to it then switch. I have Mirena and have struggled to lose weight while I've had it however I'm not totally convinced it's Mirena's fault.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I agree with others who say BC effects everyone differently. The Mirena didn't work for me, but a good friend of mine loved it. Talk with your doctor and explore your options.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight while on Mirena. I actually only had it removed shortly after my last bodybuilding competition because I wanted to explore other options. I plan on getting another one soon.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I use a Mirena. It doesn't interfere with my weight loss. In fact, it probably helps it because I'm not bleeding myself into an iron deficiency that has me too exhausted to work out.
  • klund13
    klund13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    That is one reason why I chose the Paraguard iud over Mirena. It is horomone free, so you are less likely to have those kind of side effects.