cardio and weight gain

Options
2»

Replies

• K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Kpw my clothes fit the same well sorta I could barley get my jeans on a few days ago but I'm ok now hahaha... But I still think I got a lot of water im kinda just waiting for that giant drop in a week or so.. We will see what happens!
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    Thanks guys! That was seriously all encouragement I needed to keep going(for right now)! Like I said it gets so frustrating when people are soo rude about things when you just want advise... Rileyes I do love when that happens! Like I said maybe I'll step away from the scale for abit as hard as that will be and focus more on how awesome and energized I have felt lately! Also I notice more of a change physically in the mirror then anywhere else so I guess that should count for something!:) Thx again guys!!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose for 3-4 weeks after starting cardio (an hour's walk a day in my case). I don't get sore after workouts generally either. I just kept tracking the scale weight over the longer term (say over a month), although I did still weigh daily just because I was kinda interested.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    After like a month did it just kinda fall off all at once or was it still just slow and gradual?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    After like a month did it just kinda fall off all at once or was it still just slow and gradual?

Everyone is different. And why such a hurry? Patience and persistence are the best traits you can have for healthy, sustainable fat loss.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    lol just because im not logging doesnt mean i dont know... like i said this isnt my first go around i dont need everyone telling me things i already know lol i was religious with this site last year kept up on everything did tons of research... as far as my work out stuff goes i add the calories from a work out it has on here and i have a fitbit so i use that app aswell... anyways thst wasnt what my question was because i know its not consistant lol i was just wondering why it would happen and if cardio work out would be the reason. Never once did i ask WHY im not losing weight lol i asked why the MASSIVE gain with cardio...

Actually, it does mean you don't know.

If you want to lose weight, you need to be consistent with logging. Period. You need to use a food scale, also.

Just because this isn't your first time doesn't mean much, especially since you gained the weight back.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    I get married in October i wanna feel and look my best.. Putting a lot of pressure on myself I guess
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Just an update... Since you all told me 10 pounds water weight was impossible I DID lose it all... So to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about is nuts.. I never said I was eating only 900 calories I'm eating 1200--1600 sometimes 1800 depending on my work out day.. My question was never why I wasn't losing weight it was is it possible to gain 10 pounds water weight from a new vigorous cardio work out., the answer is YES because I lost it already.. Thx for putting me down when it seems like your speaking on something you don't know about.. My fiancé just started working out too and stepped on thx scale 6 pounds heavier.. So I know I'm not crazy.. I spend 2 hours sometimes 3 a day in the gym straight cardio an hour on the eliptical at 6.0 alone so the fact I'm "eating to much" or not weighing things properly is crazy. Just got a scale and what I have been doing isn't far off actually I have been eating LESS then what my estimates were... As far as how much water I drink while at the gym I'm not sure how this applies too ANYTHING maybe I just like to drink a lot of water in my day.. To stay hydrated your supposed to drink half your body weight. I'm not sure why this is a big deal to you. Water is the only thing I drink., my work out is 35 mins on treadmill ( with cool down) hour on eliptical at 5.0-6.0 and bike for 25 mins.. if I wanna do more I do.. If you all think I'm crazy my tracker is now negatively set to mfp..

2-3 hours a day of cardio is counterproductive to say the least.

And eating 1200-1800 calories a day isn't nearly enough if you are working out that much.

Tone it down a notch or two.
  • K3rB3ar89
    edited March 2015
    Options
    By saying I know it means that I generally eat the same things everyday in the same amounts.. So yes I do know generally where I sit within a certain amount. As far as gaining it back goes that doesn't mean I failed it means I payed more attention to my new relationship at that time then I did eating healthy and losing weight which in no means means I failed. Now my now fiance is on board. I measure everything I are lot of chicken frozen from Costco it tells you know much is in a half of one still watched to see how many calories were in products. But I don't believe people who are being rude deserve a explanation. As far as that goes my Fitbit tells me I burn roughly 3000 a day with my work out. So even if I ate that one cookie, Rice Krispie square I know for damn sure it wouldn't effect me to the point it ruines my weight loss. Just sayin
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I think you’re taking the advice the wrong way, you are losing weight, but not necessarily in the best way possible (losing muscle along with the fat). This becomes increasingly important when you lose a good bit of weight (like 30 lbs) and then gain it back (mostly as fat) and then start working to lose weight again. If you’re losing muscle along with the fat, you lost muscle in round one and now you’ll lose even more in round two.

This long hard cardio does burn calories and for some, you can maintain the activity and generate a larger calorie deficit. However, it also escalates Cortisol. Cortisol is a stress hormone that is very catabolic (bad for muscle).

The short of it, you’re too scale focused and should really think about the overall health and fitness goals you have.

All true - I've had to deal with the bolded. Believe me, you don't want to be even floppier than you started out!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Just an update... Since you all told me 10 pounds water weight was impossible I DID lose it all... So to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about is nuts.. I never said I was eating only 900 calories I'm eating 1200--1600 sometimes 1800 depending on my work out day.. My question was never why I wasn't losing weight it was is it possible to gain 10 pounds water weight from a new vigorous cardio work out., the answer is YES because I lost it already.. Thx for putting me down when it seems like your speaking on something you don't know about.. My fiancé just started working out too and stepped on thx scale 6 pounds heavier.. So I know I'm not crazy.. I spend 2 hours sometimes 3 a day in the gym straight cardio an hour on the eliptical at 6.0 alone so the fact I'm "eating to much" or not weighing things properly is crazy. Just got a scale and what I have been doing isn't far off actually I have been eating LESS then what my estimates were... As far as how much water I drink while at the gym I'm not sure how this applies too ANYTHING maybe I just like to drink a lot of water in my day.. To stay hydrated your supposed to drink half your body weight. I'm not sure why this is a big deal to you. Water is the only thing I drink., my work out is 35 mins on treadmill ( with cool down) hour on eliptical at 5.0-6.0 and bike for 25 mins.. if I wanna do more I do.. If you all think I'm crazy my tracker is now negatively set to mfp..

2-3 hours a day of cardio is counterproductive to say the least.

And eating 1200-1800 calories a day isn't nearly enough if you are working out that much.

Tone it down a notch or two.

Asks for helps, won't listen to help.

Are we done here?
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    Fatfee.. Have you ever tried this to know? Cuz If you haven't you can't speak on a topic you don't know anything about. Thanks for your input but I got better advise from people who know what there talking about. And are giving REAL advise.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I think you’re taking the advice the wrong way, you are losing weight, but not necessarily in the best way possible (losing muscle along with the fat). This becomes increasingly important when you lose a good bit of weight (like 30 lbs) and then gain it back (mostly as fat) and then start working to lose weight again. If you’re losing muscle along with the fat, you lost muscle in round one and now you’ll lose even more in round two.

This long hard cardio does burn calories and for some, you can maintain the activity and generate a larger calorie deficit. However, it also escalates Cortisol. Cortisol is a stress hormone that is very catabolic (bad for muscle).

The short of it, you’re too scale focused and should really think about the overall health and fitness goals you have.

Before I started lifting and working on my diet a year ago I used to run 10 miles a day six days a week. I was 6ft, 11 stone, looked skinny in clothes, but was soft, podgy and looked out of shape (I was as fit as hell, but skinny fat). If you saw me in the street you would have just assumed I did not eat much instead of somebody who was sporty and fit. Since I started lifting, hitting my protein and cutting back on the cardio I have put on a couple of stone, but my body fat has stayed the same 15% and I look loads better than when I ran everyday. The numbers on the scale is not the full story.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    Again I never asked why I wasn't losing weight because I clearly have been. The question was weight gain with cardio as in water weight! Some of you got off topic i was listening to advise on my original question because telling me anything about my diet ect is completely irrelevant to the question. So yes YOU should be done here if your gonna be rude.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Again I never asked why I wasn't losing weight because I clearly have been. The question was weight gain with cardio as in water weight! Some of you got off topic i was listening to advise on my original question because telling me anything about my diet ect is completely irrelevant to the question. So yes YOU should be done here if your gonna be rude.
    except diet is 100% related to this subject.
    not remotely close to "not relevant".

Ultimately YES you could be gaining water weight- but odds are- since you've been doing so much cardio- it isn't water weight- and if nothing else has changed- it's more than likely diet related.

If you've changed your workouts and included more lifting- very well could be water weight.

All that to also say
    stop doing so much cardio and do some weight/strength/resistance training.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    So I went to see a trainer and she told me because of my work out and diet change it was most deff water weight. That's the only thing to explain it. She told me my diet was really good for weight loss and I should start seeing weight loss very soon. She Also recommended to lift some weights which some of you said. This morning I weighed myself and I was a pound and a half lighter.. She never once told me my cardio was a bad idea like some of you have. Or that I drink too much water or had the wrong diet.. Again if abyone doesn't have "encouraging " or nice things to say please don't say them. I understand your trying to help but there's a diff between being nice about it and being a jerk. Some of your advise was way off and I encourage some of you to do abit more research before speaking about things your not 100% about. Thx for everyone's input!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Don't post on a public forum and get offended if the advice you hear isn't what you want to hear.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    I'm not offended. I just don't like getting the wrong advise from people who are only 50 50 on advise. As far as my calorie burn goes I wear a Fitbit 24/7 so mfp may be over but when I sync my Fitbit into mfp it tells me all my info so it calculates it properly.. Anyways I just wanted to let certain people know how everything turned out.. And that I'm now doing pretty good after finally evening out and then some:)
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    And for someone who seems to know a lot you sure don't use mfp. Or the way it's intended so I'm not 100% on why it is your giving advise anyways:) you want wanna put in the work before you pretend to know atleast a little about what your talking about just an idea