Asians and others craving white rice?

Options

Replies

• tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I eat rice 3-4 times a week. Down 26lbs so far.
  • Kiku10
    Kiku10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It's great to hear some of you do eat rice and still lose or maintain. OdesAngel - I mention Asians specifically as that's the part of my heritage where my rice addition comes in the worst (but yeah, wheat is good too). I love pretty much any rice in most cuisines, but there are times that, given my brain and culture, I feel I can't resist. I'm Japanese so if I even walk by a sweet rice treat my brain just fires. Mochi, oh my god. And in many cultures the rice is essential - used almost as a utensil for scooping up sauces and foods, like in Thai foods.

I decided to eat *reasonable* portions of sushi up now and then and I'll probably just eat it when I go out if there's protein with it. I'm not sure I can store it at my home without BINGING. If I could lose and eat this stuff 3 times a week I'd be pretty happy!
  • Kiku10
    Options
    I guess what I'm saying is trigger foods - I'm not sure I can just eat a small portion!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    Kiku10 wrote: »
    I guess what I'm saying is trigger foods - I'm not sure I can just eat a small portion!
    Eat off a small plate. Problem I see with lots of Asians who eat rice is that they pile it on whatever SIZE plate they have to the rim. So there's a big difference if the plate is 13" or if it's a 9" plate or even a small bowl.
    I'll usually never eat more than a cup of cooked rice at one sitting and even then it's usually only once a day.
    Rice isn't bad, just overconsumption.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Eat off a small plate. Problem I see with lots of Asians who eat rice is that they pile it on whatever SIZE plate they have to the rim. So there's a big difference if the plate is 13" or if it's a 9" plate or even a small bowl.
    I'll usually never eat more than a cup of cooked rice at one sitting and even then it's usually only once a day.
    Rice isn't bad, just overconsumption.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

^Agreed. I have different sized rice bowls (not soup bowls) that I'll use depending on what I'm eating.

I also use a food scale and seeing the amount versus the weight of rice I eat has helped me portion it out too.

Honestly, unless you are planning on giving up rice forever, just keeping logging it and working to decrease the amount until you can balance it out with less stress. As the saying goes, practice makes perfect.

I get wanting to eat ALL THE RICE (am part Japanese too :bigsmile:) but the more you are aware and practice controlling your intake, the easier it gets :)
  • shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jett69 wrote: »
    I love rice, it's so nice. Being asian, i eat it almost everyday. No problem losing weight.

Tried brown rice...hate it. white is right.

LMAO!

Just eat it.. to Quote Ogus (who actively eats rice) nah I won't :) Googles it. "Ogus quit being"

Haha, fit it in and eat the rice...all the rice! Because if you don't I will haha

*Mexican here so Rice is a staple as well so no worries, fit it in and move along move along
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    A cup of white rice is a great way to get some carbs in.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I had rice fro dinner…I am italian …

why were Asians mentioned in your post OP ..?????

You should really only be eating spaghetti and pizza.

I guess I don't fit stereotypes all to well...
  • Kiku10
    Options
    Yes, I also see Asians piling on the white rice, even skinny Asians. But we have higher risk of diabetes, and Asians with "healthy BMIs" get diabetes more that whites. We apparently store deep visceral fat than whites. So I'm thinking I have to seriously cut down on eating rice.

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Maybe rather than thinking of "cutting back" on white rice, think what you're going to eat instead of it. It's a bit of a mental shift, but if you can think of other foods you are going to use those calories for this can be really motivating and help with achieving your own balance.

I used to eat a lot of bread, but now I find myself thinking "because I'm just having half a slice of bread instead of two whole slices, I can use those calories I've saved for a whole plate with some smoked salmon (on the bread), yummy little cherry tomatoes, a few nuts and some yogurt", which is just more appetizing to me TBH.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I eat it and I weigh it out every single time...unless I'm at my in-laws (Indian). I have now trained my MIL to only give me a small portion and that's all I eat. I have a portion size all figured out and it works for me.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    You know what I'm talking about, right? Anyone else craving this stuff? Have you found any substitutes? I miss rice sweets, too. Tell me what you do when the cravings hit!

my husband is japanese and diabetic. hes learned how to eliminate other carbs in favor of his beloved rice. LOL

assuming you don't have blood sugar issues though, eat as much as you want as long as it fits in your daily calorie limits! :)
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't have any answers. I love rice. I started out at 138 and I'm at 120 now and I did it while eating rice. I will never not eat any rice. I will make room for it and if I have to run 6 miles to eat (that was a joke, that's not necessary) it I am going to run that 6 miles lol.

Rice and Potatoes. 2 things I will never not eat. lol
  • ausf
    ausf Posts: 51
    Options

Because they eat rice every single day
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I eat rice, but I measure it out. If I'm cooking, I measure out 1/4 cup dry. If I'm eating out, I eyeball 1 cup (cooked), put it in my bowl/plate and don't take anymore. I especially love rice the night before I lift. Sooo much energy the next day.

Just eat in moderation!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I have kind of cut rice out or rather i eat rice oreintated dishes less these days. I restrict nothing absolutely, but I used to eat large platefuls of rice and find it a bit disappointing only eating small amounts. Its high GI as well. I prefer fruit and veg at the moment.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ausf wrote: »

Because they eat rice every single day

not necessarily.

It has more to do with the fact that he is Asian- and it seems in his culture and HIS circle they DO. But I know plenty of Asians who don't eat rice that often- and certainly not every day.

But just to say "all asians eat rice every day" is- well. a stretch.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You know what I'm talking about, right? Anyone else craving this stuff? Have you found any substitutes? I miss rice sweets, too. Tell me what you do when the cravings hit!

I eat white rice. Sometimes I have brown rice sometimes but I prefer white rice. Just watch your portion size.

Some people do a cauliflower rice substitute. Do a search for cauliflower rice or faux rice and you can find recipes to try. I'm guessing that would not help with cravings for sweets or for sushi in the slightest but may be okay for other dishes.
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love white rice! If I eat it, I measure it out in portions so I know exactly how much I'm eating. Sometimes, I will make brown rice instead with meals -- just because I know it's easier for me to not eat so much. Because brown rice tastes like cardboard. There, I said it.
  • Kiku10
    Options
    Dopeysmelly - So true, focusing on adding and not subtracting is SO helpful.