What's your hardest thing to give up?

Options

Replies

• votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've had to severely cut down on drinking. It used to be parties on Wednesdays (ladies' night ;)) and weekends all the time. But then I realized that's just waaay too many calories for me to burn and I couldn't keep up.

But I still enjoy the occasional partying. I'm also okay with a glass or 2 of wine/cocktails for special dinners with friends.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    debm109 wrote: »
    So how do you lose weight if you still eat those things. If I ate ice cream the way I like it I wouldn't have enough calories left for the day.

My question exactly.

I just looked up the carrot cake I like at a particular bakery, and it came up at 600 calories. It's a nice cake and relatively filling, but if I ate that, I'd only have 600 calories for the rest of the day.

The only way I could justify having it, is if I were to put in a good solid, strenuous 2+ hour workout.

I wonder if some here are trying to gain weight??

some people on here are trying to lose weight, gain weight, maintain weight.
    i had a hard time giving up mindless eating. so easy to go in the cupboard and just eat and eat for no particular reason.
    i havent given up anything at all other than swapping regular drinks for sugar free or diet.
    you have to make the things you like fit in, for the cake you might have to have a little piece of cake or a scoop or two of ice cream only.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    While I haven't "given up" anything in its entirety, I've had to really limit foods that I know don't serve me well. In particular, bread and other more refined carbs, salty crunchy snacks (chips, crackers), cheese and wine. I still indulge in these things on occasion but daily diet of these foods is what put and kept the weight on in the first place.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I miss getting home from work, and plopping my fat *kitten* on the couch in front of the tv. Now I get home, workout, shower and then plop my not so fat *kitten* on the couch in front of the t.v. On the other hand, don't miss my fat *kitten* so much.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    The sitting around eating mindlessly for no reason while reading books all day, sleeping in and having "free time" in general and post-coital giant sandwiches.
  • JasonH_DFW
    JasonH_DFW Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    carbs. I'm on 15 carbs a day now. I miss real bread, pasta, and rice. But most of all authentic pizza.
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    GlindaGoodwitch Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    excessive snacking ;)
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Rum, Chinese food, and pizza.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Mega brunches every weekend.
  • walker306
    walker306 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I hate that I had to give up portion control. I actually haven't done that because I would be down another 20 lbs by now.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    PIZZZA....that's why I'm eating it for dinner. :)
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I have not given up anything I have learned to eat things in moderation. It was hard at first but I had to because I want to be able to eat everything for the rest of my life not take out things only to lose weight.
  • lesliewalker108
    lesliewalker108 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING! JUST KIDDING
    I guess like pizza, cookies, m&m's , chocolate ice cream, dunkin donuts ice coffee(tons of sugar beware!) soda any chocolate candy , juice (any type) .
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I finally gave up trying eggplant. I really wanted to like it, but damn.. it's so gross to me. I tried growing it- nope. Farmer's Markets- nope. I just don't like it! Which makes me sad, because I love the color, it's super cheap and a lot of the recipes sound so damn good.

Eggplant, you win. I will stop trying to eat you.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    debm109 wrote: »
    So how do you lose weight if you still eat those things. If I ate ice cream the way I like it I wouldn't have enough calories left for the day.

My question exactly.

I just looked up the carrot cake I like at a particular bakery, and it came up at 600 calories. It's a nice cake and relatively filling, but if I ate that, I'd only have 600 calories for the rest of the day.

The only way I could justify having it, is if I were to put in a good solid, strenuous 2+ hour workout.

I wonder if some here are trying to gain weight??

Nope- I lost 50lbs. I gained self-control and learned about moderation. You can also lose on more than the minimum calorie amount. A 600 calorie treat, once a month, won't make you obese.
  • Sunshine48205
    Sunshine48205 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    wendy's + donuts
  • holly_wendelin
    holly_wendelin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My whole life I have loved candy. All kinds: chewy starburst, crunchy jolly ranchers, spicy hot tamales, and chocolate. I was naturally thin until I turned 30, then things went to *kitten*. I can literally eat a dinner plate full of candy every day and have been fighting the results for a decade now. Breaking this lifelong habit has been a total nightmare, especially because my workplace is full of cupcakes and donuts every. single. day. I crave candy and go into a kind of tunnel-vision trance when I am fighting the those cravings. I don't always win, but I've packed on 15 pounds in 18 months because of my sugar intake, so something has got to change. Forget about the weight loss, if I don't knock it off I am going to have lasting health problems.

I miss being able to eat candy with abandon and still have Heidi Klum's body.
  • betsysjl
    betsysjl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Fry fries...for now.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Convienance foods (bc of processed content and/or chemical additives and preservatives)
    Large desserts (had a HUGE sugar addiction)
    Pop and other various bottled beverages (again with the chemicals and additives)
    Large portions (ate for comfort or boredom)