Different Diet for Pear Shaped Women?

Options
I was recently recommended a book called Apples and Pears that basically talks about how pear shaped women have to eat differently then all other "shaped" women because of the way our bodies do and do not metabolize fat. That high carb, low fat, high protein is the "ideal" way to lose weight.

I feel like this is a load of hokum; I was always under the "eat less calories and fat" and exercise will help you with losing weight.

For all my pear shaped ladies, or men, or otherwise, did you stick to the high carb low fat diet to lose weight or is this book another claim that is not backed by science?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Your feelings are correct
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    As a pear-shaped woman I am laughing, since all I've done is CICO and I've lost over 60 pounds.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are right to be skeptical of this. Don't complicate a simple issue: eat within your calorie goal and be active. That's it. No other specifics as far as body shape and type are needed.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Yes. This is a "load of hokum". But you don't have to be afraid of fat. Eat less calories than you burn. Get adequate protien and fat, vitamins, minerals and all that. Exercise (cardio and strength) is good for you too.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Yeah, your bone structure and shape dictates what fruit your shape resembles. All of us will lose fat based on a sensible and moderate caloric deficit, what's different is where we lose our weight first.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    No different diet - however, that thigh fat is resistant because it's loaded with hormonal receptors that really work to keep it there. Most people shaped like a pear have to work really hard to get rid of it (significant deficit, lots of cardio), usually at a cost up top. Best thing imo is to get to a body fat percentage that would have you reasonably happy up top (face, arms, chest); work on building muscle in the legs to firm them up; accept yourself; and then eat to fuel your life activities.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit to lose weight , no matter what shape u are
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I don't eat pears...because you are what you eat.

Yeah yeah, roll your eyes...but when I start rocking a svelte beer bottle figure, you'll know whats up.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    I don't eat pears...because you are what you eat.

Yeah yeah, roll your eyes...but when I start rocking a svelte beer bottle figure, you'll know whats up.

I love you.
  • adora85
    adora85 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    LOL thanks ladies! You are all inspirational!