Stretching

Options
Hi gang
Ok so I evolved my planks to spiderman planks as per a tip the other day...and I did my first day of them. Three 1 minute spiderman planks and while I did it, WOOHOO, I definitely am a little sore on the left groin, just on the crease. Since it felt a little tender on the third minute I finished off the plank as a normal one, was still able to do my last set of lunges 10 each side and I am walking fine.

Is there a good way to stretch the groin, anything i should try - hot bath etc, or just leave it and see how it feels. I normally do my routine in the morning and that includes 4x15 jumping jacks, lunges and the planks, which if i do a spiderman tomorrow I'm just wanting to make sure I don't set myself back.

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Is it sore (when you exist or move, but not to touch) or tender (sensation changes/increases/appears when you press on it)? Sore you can usually warm up, stretch, and work with. Tender should be allowed time to recover. (Or that is my understanding, and what I have been following.)

And if you are not sure, you could try mountain climber planks (where you bring the knee straight in) or do opposite elbows (right knee to left elbow, left knee to right) <-- sorry, not sure the name of that one. But either of those would be easier on the groin and still challenging I would think.
  • Ian_Davies
    Ian_Davies Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Is it sore (when you exist or move, but not to touch) or tender (sensation changes/increases/appears when you press on it)? Sore you can usually warm up, stretch, and work with. Tender should be allowed time to recover. (Or that is my understanding, and what I have been following.)

And if you are not sure, you could try mountain climber planks (where you bring the knee straight in) or do opposite elbows (right knee to left elbow, left knee to right) <-- sorry, not sure the name of that one. But either of those would be easier on the groin and still challenging I would think.

It feels more sore than tender but i really like your idea of doing mountain climbers and the opposite elbow one. I've not really moved my body that much for a while so guess I am just shaking off some of the rust. Thank you so much for the advice, I'll have a go tomorrow and see how it feels and how it goes :)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the same exercises two days in a row?
  • Ian_Davies
    Ian_Davies Posts: 122 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Allan, I have been doing a pretty small morning routine, below. Although today was the first day I changed the normal plank up to a spiderman plank. No weights, just bodyweight each morning.

4 x 20 Squats
    4 x 15 Jumping jacks
    3 x 1 min Plank spiderman
    4 x 10 (each leg) Lunges
    4 x 10 lying hip raise
    4 x 10 bench dip
    4 x 10 press-ups
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Ian_Davies wrote: »

Is there a good way to stretch the groin, anything i should try - hot bath etc, or just leave it and see how it feels.

You may just need to rest it a little, ice, ibuprofen. Generally speaking you should be stretching. Pre-exercise you can use a foam roller, just need to get it up in there and find the tight spot. Then you can do a "Frog Stretch" which can either be done actively for 10 2-sec hold repetitions or statically for 30-sec holds.