Getting more protein? And protein supplements?

Options
Hi all,

So, if you look at my diary you will see that I don't eat a whole lot of protein. I have tried to incorporate more (I LOVE greek yogurt and I LOVE smoked salmon), but other than that I'm not a big fan of protein-containing foods (e.g. when eating a curry, I'd choose extra sauce over extra chicken any day!).

So, my question(s):

1. Anyone got any tips on how to get more protein into my diet?
2. Should I consider protein powder? Seen that it can be incorporated into lots of meals.
3. If so, what brand would you suggest? I do NOT have a lot of money so I really don't want to spend a lot on it, but would still like a reasonable quality :smile:
4. Anyone got any good recipes I could use protein powder in? I'd start out putting it in smoothies, shakes, and pancakes!

Replies

• shaunelliswv
    shaunelliswv Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky snacks , baked beans , tuna , fish cakes , cottage cheese , eggs c peanut butter , almonds . There just a few items which are good sources of protein. As for protein powders I would recommend just a whey , if you want good value for money . Whey doesn't always taste as good as well branded protein powders but can buy more for cheaper . Do your research into the amount of protein your getting from different brands and set a budget . If you want to jazz up your shake then can add oats , protein , blueberrys or try be creative and see what you can come up with. Let me know how you get on !!
  • shaunelliswv
    shaunelliswv Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sorry I meant add peanut butter to shakes not "protein " . Typo
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Animal products (meat/dairy) are where you'll get the most protein.

Pure Protein brand bars and powder are pretty cheap and I think they're both pretty good.
    Optimum Nutrition protein powder is quite good and fair price.

Non-animal products like nuts and beans are good sources of complex carbs and fats, and can help contribute to your protein macro.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Well if you care about calorie numbers then a protein powder would be the way to go. Body Fortress makes a Whey Isolate that you can find at Walmart that is 130 calories for 30grams of protein which is probably the best bang for your buck price to protein/calorie you can get. You can mix it with peanut butter powder if again your trying to keep calories down. I blend my protein with mixed frozen berries and add about six ice cubes to about 1 3/4 cups of water and it comes out real thick, filling and low calories. Just an idea...