Waist Cincher/Trainer

Options
rsm193
rsm193 Posts: 23 Member
Is anyone using one and if so has there been success. Pics please.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about the little rubber things you wrap around your midsection to make your belly sweat more? Yeah, I used one for a while before I knew any better. Never noticed any difference to my waist from it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about the one that makes you sweat? Those don't do anything.

If you're talking about the corset type thing (a squeem)? Those can be very dangerous.

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    The Kardishians (sp) and a former Real Housewives does it...that should answer your question. Ummm NO!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    No , just no.
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    No , just no.

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I WISH stuff like this was a viable option. I'd totally strap myself in and be uncomfortable if it meant I could eat all the foodstuffs I wanted and still have a trim waist ... but the truth is, corset training is very unhealthy and dangerous. Basically, you're reshaping your bones and your body to be smaller around a certain part. This might work under medical supervision if you were born with some kind of defective, flared ribs, but it seems painful and dangerous to do otherwise. Potential organ damage and body modification shouldn't have anything to do with weight loss and a healthy lifestyle...

**Edit: Granted, the above is true for those waist-training corsets ordered way too small for your body that you have to squeeze into to the point it restricts your breathing and eating.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

If you're talking about the corset type thing (a squeem)? Those can be very dangerous.

I'm curious about the squeem....my aunt (does IFBB physique) wears one and told me I should after I had my baby...why so dangerous?
  • usmcmp
    Options

I'm curious about the squeem....my aunt (does IFBB physique) wears one and told me I should after I had my baby...why so dangerous?

Because they push your organs out of place and squeeze them against each other. It makes breathing difficult and distorts your bones. Long term use can cause bladder issues, reproductive problems, continued breathing problems and digestive issues. Women have needed surgery to fix these, some of which were life threatening intestinal impactions.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options

Because they push your organs out of place and squeeze them against each other. It makes breathing difficult and distorts your bones. Long term use can cause bladder issues, reproductive problems, continued breathing problems and digestive issues. Women have needed surgery to fix these, some of which were life threatening intestinal impactions.

Noted....thank you!
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't reccomended this either. I've been wearing some comfortable spanx tank tops under my shirts daily just to feel a little more comfortable about my appearance until I can lose my weight.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Yeah I don't reccomended this either. I've been wearing some comfortable spanx tank tops under my shirts daily just to feel a little more comfortable about my appearance until I can lose my weight.

I used to wear spanx tops under my shirts when I first started working out. They were great for keeping my stomach in place while I jogged. Jogging was humiliating enough when I started, but add a floppy belly to it and I almost quit.
  • shaythep
    shaythep Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I wear one sometimes. IT DOES NOTHING FOR WEIGHT LOSS. I mean NOTHING. I only wear it because I often slouch and it reminds me to sit up straight. The reason for that is it looks totally stupid under my shirt unless I am sitting up straight. My weight loss has come from calorie deficit and lifting heavy weights.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Please no! It's a fad and it will damage your organs, Squish them up, urgh.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    My grandma (RIP) was scandalized that wearing tight elastic bandages for at least 2 weeks after childbirth wasn't the norm any more. She had 4 babies and swore it put everything back where it was supposed to be afterwards, and I do think she might have been right. My ribs are definitely wider than they were before I had babies, and I know that the ligaments remain soft for a while after birth. My youngest is 14 now, so I guess I missed that boat...
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Wearing those big "granny panties" onthe advice of my gp after both babies definitely helped.... Waist training is not the same and dangerous.....
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    My grandma (RIP) was scandalized that wearing tight elastic bandages for at least 2 weeks after childbirth wasn't the norm any more. She had 4 babies and swore it put everything back where it was supposed to be afterwards, and I do think she might have been right. My ribs are definitely wider than they were before I had babies, and I know that the ligaments remain soft for a while after birth. My youngest is 14 now, so I guess I missed that boat...

That would potentially make sense, except that your rib cage is cartilage and bone. It could help with hips since your pelvic girdle has three joints and the ligaments there relax to open the hips to allow for birth. Either way you were out of luck on the ribs. Embrace the wide rib cage club (both my boys sat up inside my ribs)! We can still have awesome bodies with a wide rib cage.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

That would potentially make sense, except that your rib cage is cartilage and bone. It could help with hips since your pelvic girdle has three joints and the ligaments there relax to open the hips to allow for birth. Either way you were out of luck on the ribs. Embrace the wide rib cage club (both my boys sat up inside my ribs)! We can still have awesome bodies with a wide rib cage.
    Heh, thanks for the physiology lesson. Good to know! :-) Wide rib cages can make for odd bra-sizing though (see Confessions thread!)
    I did know about the pelvis, because I had a very nasty separation during my last pregnancy, which took a long time to get better.
  • rsm193
    rsm193 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I dont really want a coraet to loose wieght...just to give me a curvy form so i would just get the right size nothing smaller
  • annakadabra_
    annakadabra_ Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to ask the question: Are you talking about waist training/ extreme corseting that will permanently change your body, or about fashion corsets that change your shape while you wear them?

If you like to have a cinched waist or a curvier appearance, wearing a corset can be a fun idea. Of course, wearing a corset doesn't "make you lose weight" by itself. Personally, I prefer spanx under my clothes for an interview or important event, mostly because it makes me feel more confident (and less lumpy). I occasionally wear a corset for a costume, but I've never been interested in waist training.

My favourite corset-related Youtuber is definitely Lucy's Corsetry! Check out her blog or her youtube channel for more info. She's not a medical professional so please use your own common sense.

In her own words:

As long as you're in good health, you're wearing a corset that's properly fitted to your body, and you use it responsibly the way it was supposed to be worn, then corsets are no more dangerous than, say, a medical back brace or even pregnancy.
    I have a playlist of what happens to your body when you wear a corset:
    Link to youtube videos about wearing corsets

Have fun!