Any one else have lymphedema?

Options
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has lymphedema? I have lymphedema in my legs which causes me to retain fluid in my legs and my hips/waist measurements to fluctuate quite a bit. It's worse in the summer. Just wondering how this effects your weight loss: measurements, progress on the scale? I've lost almost 4kgs in the past 5.5 weeks (I incorrectly input my starting weight so my profile weight loss stats are 500grams off) but the scale seems to have stalled for the past 2 weeks and my measurements aren't reliable. Wondering if you have any strategies to help reduce water retention? Or success stories to give me some motivation? Thanks :smile:

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has lymphedema? I have lymphedema in my legs which causes me to retain fluid in my legs and my hips/waist measurements to fluctuate quite a bit. It's worse in the summer. Just wondering how this effects your weight loss: measurements, progress on the scale? I've lost almost 4kgs in the past 5.5 weeks (I incorrectly input my starting weight so my profile weight loss stats are 500grams off) but the scale seems to have stalled for the past 2 weeks and my measurements aren't reliable. Wondering if you have any strategies to help reduce water retention? Or success stories to give me some motivation? Thanks :smile:

Are you under a doctor's care? Since this is not the normal weight loss issue, it seems to me this is a question for your doctor.

That said, drinking water always helps me to rid of water retention. :)
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I have to watch my water retention because of CHF. One of the medicines I have to be on is a diuretic. I also have to watch my sodium. If your doctor has talked to you about these things then it could just be a woman's fluctuation (all of us women have that problem). If you have not talked to your doctor, you should. Fluid can cause some scary problems. As I have said, I am NOT a doctor, but you should talk to your.

18134773.png
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,369 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have lymphedema -- one leg only.

I can't tell you how it affects weight loss as I'm not deliberately losing but it's a good idea to limit sodium intake. I have to anyway because of hypertension but if I have a high sodium day it goes straight to my leg.

And definitely worse in summer due to heat and humidity.

There was/is a group on here for lymphedema support, but it's not very active.
  • ItsGoodToHaveGoals
    ItsGoodToHaveGoals Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have it in my left leg; heat definitely makes me swell. I know what you mean about the weight fluctuation. I actually have more of a problem exercising because it's either too hard on my leg and I loose feeling and get stumbly. I've found that some yoga and stretching exercises works best for my Lymphedema - I just adapt to the poses for my leg that won't bend etc. As for cardio etc, it's much harder. I watch what I eat, keep the swelling down as much as you can and know your limits. Stay away from processed foods if possible and load up on the veggies. Hope this helps.
  • KathyMBragg
    KathyMBragg Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My son wears compression knee hi hose per his dr's orders you get at WalMart for under $25. They come in different sizes. I'm sure they are available elsewhere and online.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,369 Member
    Options
    Glad this thread resurfaced... I made my last post kinda on my way out the door and forgot to mention that walking a lot seems to help. The movement of the muscles continuously working acts to move the fluid out of the tissue.

Like GoodToHave mentions, when it gets really swollen, I lose feeling in it. Like I'm walking or standing on a wooden leg. And my ankle mobility disappears.
  • erinleigh727
    erinleigh727 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! :smile: