Gym days :how many, how long

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    3-4 days/week, 40-45 minutes/session (Wendler 5/3/1)

I do Wendler's too. Do you do the 3 day split? I've been thinking about changing from 4 to 3 but haven't looked at the template yet.

I do the 4 day split as well, unless my week doesn't allow. That said, I find the 3 days/week structure I wouldn't hit the muscle groups as much, so if I did go that way I would be adding accessories that work other muscle groups that you won't get to for some time. i.e. bench work on OHP day, and light squats on DL day.

There isn't much difference in the structure, just longer between muscle groups.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    Typically 6x per week with 3x being crossfit type workouts at a gym and 3x at home doing heavy strength training.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Lifting
    3 x a week
    1.5-2 hours in length

Cardio-
    2 x a week

Dance
    M-T-R-S
    anywhere from 1-4 hours a day.
  • immortalities
    immortalities Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i hate going to the gym so i do just enough to keep healthy (in my opinion)
    i go twice a week 15-20 various strength workouts,35 minutes running on treadmill
    and finish with 10-15 stationary bike. i aim to burn at least 400 calories per my hrm but i don't use that for my strength workouts. I walk to and from work and go for a half hour walk over lunchtime.
    I might do a workout DVD once a week if my boyfriend is working late, but more often than not it's just the two days at the gym :)
    I don't want my life to revolve around going to the gym, I think anymore than two days and I would go insane. I'd rather spend that time with my family and boyfriend :D
  • immortalities
    immortalities Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i hate going to the gym so i do just enough to keep healthy (in my opinion)
    i go twice a week 15-20 various strength workouts,35 minutes running on treadmill
    and finish with 10-15 stationary bike. i aim to burn at least 400 calories per my hrm but i don't use that for my strength workouts. I walk to and from work and go for a half hour walk over lunchtime.
    I might do a workout DVD once a week if my boyfriend is working late, but more often than not it's just the two days at the gym :)
    I don't want my life to revolve around going to the gym, I think anymore than two days and I would go insane. I'd rather spend that time with my family and boyfriend :D

In the early days of my weight loss journey, I would go about 4-5 times a week and spend twice as long there though, so I suppose it depends on your goals!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    In the gym...I go to two gyms. My regular routine is 4 days per week during lunch. That's about an hour each day.

I go to the other gym 4 days a week to help the GF with her lifts and do some accessory work/ab stuff and then cardio for 30-45 minutes. Total about 1.5 hours for those sessions as well.

Basically, I spend too much time there.
  • kaylacharlene
    kaylacharlene Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just curious : I workout 6 days week minimum an hour each day. Usually it's at the gym with the exception of doing at home videos when I can't get there. Are the classes provided enough in addition to eating within your calories and macros? I do 5 days a week doing classes (body step, body shred, cx works, Zumba, and awesome abs) always ensuring to have 1 hour of class. Just curious if classes are a good way to go.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Just curious : I workout 6 days week minimum an hour each day. Usually it's at the gym with the exception of doing at home videos when I can't get there. Are the classes provided enough in addition to eating within your calories and macros? I do 5 days a week doing classes (body step, body shred, cx works, Zumba, and awesome abs) always ensuring to have 1 hour of class. Just curious if classes are a good way to go.

If your goal is to be a marathoner- nope- classes wont' get you there.

If you're goal is to be a power lifter- then nope- classes won't get you there.

If you're goal is to be generally more fit than you were last year- yeah- probably.

It is completely goal dependent. If you like them- and you feel good about yourself and you have no other ambitions other than checking the box of "yes I worked out this week" its' probably fine.
  • jett69
    jett69 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    6x a week
    Push/pull/legs/push/pull/legs/rest

on rest days, i usually run for 30 min
  • david2831g78
    david2831g78 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I go 7 days a week. lift only 5 of the 7. do 15min cardio the 5 days I lift then 30 min on the 2 off days.

The time you spend and how often you go really depends on the goals you are trying to achieve. Think about how you want to look then plan accordingly. There are a lot of resources on the internet.
  • thoyle2015
    thoyle2015 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I ask this question because my in laws say I spend too much time at the gym. I go for two hours 6days a week. The tow hours are split between two classes 45-50minutes each or sometimes 1 class and 30 min in a treadmill. I didn't see this as "too much" seeing the classes are usually one intense class I.e insanity followed by something easier like yoga
  • kaylacharlene
    kaylacharlene Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks! No, my goals are simple,get into better shape and lose a bit of weight. On the day I do freestyle at the gym I do weights and cardio for an hour since the classes I have been doing don't involve a lot of weight training.

Thanks again for the reply, I'm new to this without a trainer so I figured classes were a good way to start again.
    JoRocka wrote: »

If your goal is to be a marathoner- nope- classes wont' get you there.

If you're goal is to be a power lifter- then nope- classes won't get you there.

If you're goal is to be generally more fit than you were last year- yeah- probably.

It is completely goal dependent. If you like them- and you feel good about yourself and you have no other ambitions other than checking the box of "yes I worked out this week" its' probably fine.

• suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My workout schedule is this:
    Monday-Metabolic Resistance Training 30 minutes, 30 minutes cardio
    Tuesday-Metabolic Resistance Training 30 minutes, 30 minutes cardio
    Wednesday-1 hour cardio only
    Thursday-Metabolic Resistance Training 30 minutes, 30 minutes cardio
    Friday-Metabolic Resistance Training 30 minutes, 30 minutes cardio
    Saturday-1 hour cardio only
    Sunday-maybe some pilates, maybe a walk, maybe nothing but sitting on the couch binging on Netflix

I don't think the 2 hours of gym time you describe sounds inherently excessive in any way. Possibly your in-laws need to mind their own business or possibly there are other things going on that make them think the amount of exercise you are doing is unhealthy (extreme low cal diet plus 2 hours exercise comes to mind). No one on this or any other forum can tell you whether it is too much without knowing all the circumstances.

• jan3h
    jan3h Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    One hour a day' five days a week. Monday - weights, Tuesday - boxercise class, Wednesday - weights, Thursday - cardio acceleration class, Saturdays - circuit training. I have just started going Fridays too because there is a lifting class and I prefer trying new stuff under supervision. My goals are to maintain my cardio fitness and to improve my strength, particularly in the upper body.
  • marisa28a
    marisa28a Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mon-fri is crossfit 5-6am
    The weekends I rest my muscles but still stay busy and I LOVE long walks on Sundays outside.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    3-5 days a week. 45 minutes cardio followed by 1 hour free weights
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Up to 6 days a week, for a total of up to 10 hours. I do as much as my programming calls for, since I'm currently in a long hypertrophy phase, I am using all 6 days. Each session takes as long as it takes, typically 90 minutes.
  • TCO76
    TCO76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Lift
    Off
    Lift
    Off
    Lift
    Off
    Off

On off days I jog, walk, mobility exercise, or absolutely nothing.

Usually lift for an hour when things are on point but some days take longer if I'm draggin.

Rest is way important.

Currently on a full body routine. If on a split my lifting days are less spread out.

• thoyle2015
    thoyle2015 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    suzikay12 wrote: »
    My workout schedule is this:
    Monday-Metabolic Resistance Training 30 minutes, 30 minutes cardio
    Tuesday-Metabolic Resistance Training 30 minutes, 30 minutes cardio
    Wednesday-1 hour cardio only
    Thursday-Metabolic Resistance Training 30 minutes, 30 minutes cardio
    Friday-Metabolic Resistance Training 30 minutes, 30 minutes cardio
    Saturday-1 hour cardio only
    Sunday-maybe some pilates, maybe a walk, maybe nothing but sitting on the couch binging on Netflix

I don't think the 2 hours of gym time you describe sounds inherently excessive in any way. Possibly your in-laws need to mind their own business or possibly there are other things going on that make them think the amount of exercise you are doing is unhealthy (extreme low cal diet plus 2 hours exercise comes to mind). No one on this or any other forum can tell you whether it is too much without knowing all the circumstances.

I eat 1600 calories a day I like food waaaaaay to much to have an extremely low cal diet
    What's metabolic resistance trainings? I've never heard of that
  • wils5150
    wils5150 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Ice hockey 2 nights a week, 50 minutes on the treadmill walking the other 5 days,
    Lift 2 days a week Usually just upper body since my legs take a beating from hockey and the tread mill.