Antibiotics and Laxative Help?

Options
Hi! I am currently on an antibiotic and not using the restroom. Do you have any advice on what I should do? Can I take a laxative while taking amoxicillin?

Thank you!

Replies

• aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I would call the pharmacy you filled the amoxicillin at and ask the pharmacist.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes, you can take a laxative. But you should check with your doctor before doing this because some will advise against it.

How many days have you been taking the antibiotic?
  • Sheseeksstrength
    Sheseeksstrength Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have been taking it for 2-3 days. I take it every 6 hours.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    I have been taking it for 2-3 days. I take it every 6 hours.

I was just on Levaquin for 7 days and didn't poop the entire time. Usually Levaquin causes diarrhea so I was kind of shocked it had the opposite on me… especially since I have Crohn's.

I'd give it another day for your body to adjust. If you are still unable to poop after tomorrow, call the doctor.

• Sheseeksstrength
    Sheseeksstrength Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is the same with me. It is supposed to cause diarrhea for most patients, but it is actually backing me up.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I would try more natural methods, eg increasing fibre, before resorting to laxatives. They're pretty harsh on your system. Kiwifruit (skin on is best) is great for getting things moving, as is bran of course. And water, water, water.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Be cautious, C-diff is nasty, and it happens, trust me!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Where did OP say they have C. diff?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I would try more natural methods, eg increasing fibre, before resorting to laxatives. They're pretty harsh on your system. Kiwifruit (skin on is best) is great for getting things moving, as is bran of course. And water, water, water.

And prunes
    Apple juice
    Coffee
    Beans
    Broccoli

Don't forget exercise too!
  • blankiefinder
    Options

I didn't say that she did have it, did I? If she did, she certainly wouldn't be constipated. I would be cautious about taking something that might be too aggressive.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

I didn't say that she did have it, did I? If she did, she certainly wouldn't be constipated. I would be cautious about taking something that might be too aggressive.

You said "Be cautious, C-Diff is nasty", as if she had it… That's how it came across to me at least.

And antibiotics can make a patient with C. diff constipated. Antibiotics can have that effect.
  • blankiefinder
    Options

You said "Be cautious, C-Diff is nasty", as if she had it… That's how it came across to me at least.

And antibiotics can make a patient with C. diff constipated. Antibiotics can have that effect.

The Be cautious was in reply to the OP's question about taking laxatives with antibiotics.

On a side note, the c-diff wouldn't rear it's head until after the course of antibiotics, so your last statement wouldn't apply until the c-diff occurred. Now I'm out, no interest in arguing semantics. All of us on here know how easy it is to mis-interpret the written word.