Living in a Toxic Environment

Options
Hey Community,
I really am looking for some support and encouragement. I am just feeling overwhelmed and I desperately need some help.
Over the last few years my home-life has really been in the dumps. My family has struggled through eating disorders, divorce, and anxiety. I travel a good bit for work so I am not home all the time, but when I come home it is just TOXIC. There are certain times of the month where I come home and visit my family. When I do this, I begin to feel bad about myself, I eat out of control, and the desire to binge and then purge is heavy.
I understand that the quick fix answer is to just not come home, but I can't do that right now. I need to find a way to cope that isn't with food. I took a few walks today just to get out, but then ended up stuffing my face at dinner because the tension could be cut with a razor blade.
Please give me some advice and opinions on what to do.

Replies

• virelay129
    virelay129 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I've actually stopped talking to by biggest criticiser...mother. Everything out of her mouth is negative.

My day to day home life is filled with people munching all day, eating sweets whenever, and not eating healthy. I can't count how many times a day I have to say, "No thank you."

We are here for you :)
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If you can't get out of a negative situation, then you have to "reframe" it. Change the way you think about it. It's really hard to do, but you have to find something positive about the situation and focus on it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way, you can't control the environment, but you can control how you react/cope. Make eating properly your way of demonstrating control. Frame it as your little rebellion against the toxic environment if that helps.