Running

Options
Way back in high school, I loved to run. I wanna start that up again. If there are any runners that can offer any advice or just help me along, please feel free to add me. You guys will keep me accountable!

Replies

• Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Just get up and go do it. The first and most successful part, is getting out the door :-)
  • cjd1029
    cjd1029 Posts: 20
    Options
    I also used to really enjoy running/jogging after having my first child, just a bit scared that I'll make a fool of myself now though. I don't think I'd get very far.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Just get up and go do it. The first and most successful part, is getting out the door :-)

This. There is NO wrong way to run. Don't push to learn a new style of running, just run how YOUR body runs. Just do it.
  • smileyface1115
    Options
    I completely identify with you! I ran in high school and college but life took me out of it for quite some time. I have rediscovered running in the last six months and I have turned into one of those people that say I am actually addicted to it now. At this time in my life, it really helps with stress relief.

Having said that, I read a few replies in this post and I kind of disagree with the "there is no wrong way to run" philosophy. Just hear me out. I am in the orthopedic field and I think that for so many reasons, you shouldnt just "go out and run". If you havent been active or havent run in some time, you can cause injury and aside from having to deal with an injury, this will definitely cause you to lose your interest in running again. Additionally, when people decide they are going to go back to running, the first day or so is usually fantastic and they feel great and overdo it. Again, injury.

I highly recommend you start on a walk-jog-run program. There are numerous programs available. Many start on a 4/1 rule or something similar. This is where you walk for four minutes and jog for a minute and repeat 3-5x. Gradually you work up to running the four minutes and walking one.

There are several programs available, but I recommend looking at Hal Higdon's website (www.halhigdon.com). This is a very well respected site for good programs for everyone from Beginner to Advanced runners.

I hope my message is clear. Yes! Run! But do it safely. Running is quite a biomechanical stress on your body-you have to do it right!

good luck!
  • elephant_in_the_room
    elephant_in_the_room Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I agree with smileyface111, not being an expert, just having learned it the hard way...
    I wish I could go back to running. I used to run every morning to work and in the evenings the other way, I ran half marathons, 15K werdefinitely not a problem, I love running.
    And I have been overdoing it with that same routine. I got a hamstring tendinitis/tendonitis/tendonitis, having degenerative tears in the hamstring tendons and those of the glutes. I have not run for almost a year now... Not significantly. I try to carefully get back into it, then each time I try it, I feel my muscles cramping up again and I have to stop again.
    Actually, I'm not exactly sure what could have prevented it, unless maybe going to the doctor earlier... I went to a physiotherapist , and that wasn't enough.
    So yes, you can hurt yourself permanently by 'just running'. The difficulty is to tell between a bit of pain and a real injury.
    I wish you all the best of luck, yes, please be careful.... And enjoy it!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Usually by now there is an echo of C25K (Couch to 5K) recommendations. Google that. There are lots of programs, apps, forums, etc. There is also a 10K program. I did C25K starting in January and just the other night ran 10 miles without stopping or walking and I am 54. So it can come back (the muscles and the interest/enthusiasm).
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I'll just parrot the C25k program. Don't be afraid of running in public, no matter how slow you go or how short your distance, you're outpacing and out running everyone who is just sitting on their butts.
  • Angila
    Angila Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone download the nike app (there are others but I think thats the best one) then start slow try running a mile everyday for a week. I went to a track and would walk a lap and run a lap and so on and so on until I got my breathing down and once you do that you will know when to do 2 miles. Good luck!!
  • SlowBigG
    SlowBigG Posts: 10
    Options
    I agree - there is a wrong way to run. People learn how to swim, learn how to ride a bike etc. What is different about running? It's best to get into good practices with regards to correct form etc, as in the longer term it will help you run with an efficient style and avoid injury.

As others have said, look at a C25K program. Focus on "slow and steady" to avoid injury.

Good luck. A word of warning; running is addictive...in a good way!
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Having run 30 marathons and qualified for Boston many times....I know a few things about running:

1) Start slowly, walk 5 minutes, jog very slowly for 30 seconds to a minute, then walk 5 minutes, jog for 30 seconds to a minute.

2) NEVER run on hard surfaces like cement sidewalks or brick, especially if you are heavy.

3) DO run on soft surfaces: grass, a track, dirt trails.

4) Don't try to run too fast, in fact, try to run slowly at first---the number one mistake I've seen beginners make is trying to run too fast--run slowly and then over a few months build up speed if you want.

5) Wear good running shoes---Runner's World online has some very very good free online shoe guides and running forums for heavy runners.

6) If you are extremely heavy you might try running in a pool for a few weeks---there are good pool running vest that suspend you in the water which means you get a great workout with zero impact on your joints.

7) Keep going, I find running is one of the best ways for overweight people to lose weight, find friends and begin a new life.

8) Don't listen to people who insist that running isn't good for you---there are many studies out that show it is.

9) After thousands of miles of running I still don't like the first mile....so don't give up because you don't like the beginning [and go slower, it will be better for you]

GOOD LUCK!! Let us know how it works out, I'm betting you are going to love it after awhile