Foam Rolling

Options
Hiya,
I was instructed by my trainer and chiropractor to foam roll at home. Are any of you savvy about foam rolling? I was foam rolling my calves earlier with one of those stick roller things. I noticed that when I roll while seated, my calves don't hurt too much. But if I roll while standing they hurt quite a lot. Does it matter what position I am in when I roll them. Will I still get the same benefit? I would obviously love to roll with less pain, but I will bite the bullet if the pain filled method is a better choice. Thanks.

Replies

• thelittlecharacter
    thelittlecharacter Posts: 69 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Don't put too much pressure on an area where there's still deep pain present/ tenderness-give that time to heal with some light stretching from time to time. Foam rolling does aid in recovery when you use it to lightly warm up an injury and the areas surrounding it. However, if it's a pain stemming from muscle soreness, then added pressure is usually harmless. It just doesn't feel so nice. Pressure to an area really depends on how big of a kink you have to work out. As long as you're in a comfortable position to target the area properly it shouldn't matter. Just don't spend too much time on each muscle or move too fast/slow. Work sections of muscle at a time before moving on to the surrounding ones. If you're finding a deeper soreness to treat when you're standing, I'd say go for treating it that way! Always good to experiment to find little hidden muscles to target.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I would love some info on this as well...
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Don't put too much pressure on an area where there's still deep pain present/ tenderness-give that time to heal with some light stretching from time to time. Foam rolling does aid in recovery when you use it to lightly warm up an injury and the areas surrounding it. However, if it's a pain stemming from muscle soreness, then added pressure is usually harmless. It just doesn't feel so nice. Pressure to an area really depends on how big of a kink you have to work out. As long as you're in a comfortable position to target the area properly it shouldn't matter. Just don't spend too much time on each muscle or move too fast/slow. Work sections of muscle at a time before moving on to the surrounding ones. If you're finding a deeper soreness to treat when you're standing, I'd say go for treating it that way! Always good to experiment to find little hidden muscles to target.

Great response. Thanks so much for taking the time:-)
  • modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My PT had me foam rolling as a warm up. I was skeptical at first but now I love it. I've had no lifting injuries since doing this. I prefer to roll any lower body while lying down. I'm healing a bad shoulder and I find rolling it against a wall while standing works well because there's not as much pressure
  • areallycoolstory
    Options
    modmom1 wrote: »
    My PT had me foam rolling as a warm up. I was skeptical at first but now I love it. I've had no lifting injuries since doing this. I prefer to roll any lower body while lying down. I'm healing a bad shoulder and I find rolling it against a wall while standing works well because there's not as much pressure

Thanks for responding. Yep. I think it works too. Painful though:-) At my gym folks use lacrosse balls for their back, same as you describe using the roller. I have been thinking about getting one. Thanks again for your response.
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I use foam rolling reduce injury on my Achilles and ITB. The attached infographic has been great on setting a routine -http://greatist.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_main/public/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Foam-Rolling-Infographic.jpeg
  • CaterinaThrace
    CaterinaThrace Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've recently started doing this - at first it HURT! :) Now I just love it. I'd say, in a completely uninformed by science or medicine way - that just go so it hurts a little bit but not too much, much like massage, so that you're getting the maximum benefit without hurting yourself in any way.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was told to foam roll by my PT, and I totally didn't, because it seemed like extra work and I'm lazy. I just started last week - using that infographic, actually! I don't know what effect it'll have on my particular issues, but it does seem to be helping with muscle recovery from workouts. It ordinarily takes me 2-3 days (sometimes 4 if I push it) to recover from any vaguely challenging lifting; with foam rolling, any pain is pretty much gone the next day. This is a difference I felt almost immediately (and it's great! and also very weird because I'm used to suffering).

I work out, stretch everything for 30-60 seconds, then foam roll on the floor, with the blue foam (just my calves, quads, hams, and glutes) - 60 seconds each.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Foam Rolling is technically used to reduce muscle tightness and trigger points and increase range of motion to some extend. Foam Rollers are in no way a method for warm-up.
    Hiya,
    I was instructed by my trainer and chiropractor to foam roll at home. Are any of you savvy about foam rolling? I was foam rolling my calves earlier with one of those stick roller things. I noticed that when I roll while seated, my calves don't hurt too much. But if I roll while standing they hurt quite a lot. Does it matter what position I am in when I roll them. Will I still get the same benefit? I would obviously love to roll with less pain, but I will bite the bullet if the pain filled method is a better choice. Thanks.

@areallycoolstory, to answer this question from my experience of using foam roller the reason it hurts in certain spots or in when you are in certain position is because those muscles are tight and those are your trigger points which you want to handle lightly. Eventually your goal should be over a period of time (days of regular foam rolling after exercise) that pain should go away.

Though be careful about IT (Ilotibial) band. You never, never want to foam roll on your IT Band. Never.

http://www.orthoped.org/wp-content/uploads/IT-Band-Injury.jpg
    http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/your-it-band-is-not-the-enemy-but-maybe-your-foam-roller-is

Hope this helps. Good Luck.
  • areallycoolstory
    Options
    rrowdiness wrote: »
    I use foam rolling reduce injury on my Achilles and ITB. The attached infographic has been great on setting a routine -http://greatist.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_main/public/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Foam-Rolling-Infographic.jpeg

Thanks much. I will check out this link:-)
  • areallycoolstory
    Options
    I've recently started doing this - at first it HURT! :) Now I just love it. I'd say, in a completely uninformed by science or medicine way - that just go so it hurts a little bit but not too much, much like massage, so that you're getting the maximum benefit without hurting yourself in any way.

Thanks very much for your response. It is encouraging that you have come to love it:-)
  • areallycoolstory
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I was told to foam roll by my PT, and I totally didn't, because it seemed like extra work and I'm lazy. I just started last week - using that infographic, actually! I don't know what effect it'll have on my particular issues, but it does seem to be helping with muscle recovery from workouts. It ordinarily takes me 2-3 days (sometimes 4 if I push it) to recover from any vaguely challenging lifting; with foam rolling, any pain is pretty much gone the next day. This is a difference I felt almost immediately (and it's great! and also very weird because I'm used to suffering).

I work out, stretch everything for 30-60 seconds, then foam roll on the floor, with the blue foam (just my calves, quads, hams, and glutes) - 60 seconds each.

This method seems like a good one. Thanks very much for your response:-)
  • areallycoolstory
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    Foam Rolling is technically used to reduce muscle tightness and trigger points and increase range of motion to some extend. Foam Rollers are in no way a method for warm-up.
    Hiya,

@areallycoolstory, to answer this question from my experience of using foam roller the reason it hurts in certain spots or in when you are in certain position is because those muscles are tight and those are your trigger points which you want to handle lightly. Eventually your goal should be over a period of time (days of regular foam rolling after exercise) that pain should go away.

Though be careful about IT (Ilotibial) band. You never, never want to foam roll on your IT Band. Never.

http://www.orthoped.org/wp-content/uploads/IT-Band-Injury.jpg
    http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/your-it-band-is-not-the-enemy-but-maybe-your-foam-roller-is

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

I will definitely check out this link. Thanks very much for the warning, and for your response:-)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

This is an awesome link. Thanks for posting!

• katanita
    katanita Posts: 7 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Just wondering where you got that about not using it for warm-up? I've been advised the opposite (e.g. this article (http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/fitness-coach/Should-I-Foam-Roll-Before-or-After-a-Workout.html) and often use it as part of my warm up routine for problem areas
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    katanita wrote: »

Just wondering where you got that about not using it for warm-up? I've been advised the opposite (e.g. this article (http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/fitness-coach/Should-I-Foam-Roll-Before-or-After-a-Workout.html) and often use it as part of my warm up routine for problem areas

Thanks for the link. I took a look at it.
    Article says "Foam Rolling prior to exercise to prevent injuries".... I'm referring to "warm-up" wherein one elevate their heart rate. You maybe using it prior to exercise to improve your range of motion and work on tight muscle groups but that is not equal to warm-up.

Article doesn't say it is used as a warm-up tool. The very last paragraph explicitly states -
    "As for more scientific evidence to back a brand new trigger-point-releasing warm-up regimen, there’s not a lot.".
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to throw a word of caution out there. I've recently been dealing with calf cramping issues (related to Overtrainng Syndrome) and was foam rolling like crazy to help loosen my calves. Finally went to a Sports Medicine Doctor and one of the first things he said was lay off the foam roller. You can actually do more harm than good with them. Here is a blog post that recaps what the doctor was talking about: http://reciprocalinnervations.com/blog/?p=594

I see a lot of people just roll on them for a minute or two. I highly doubt they are getting any possible real benefit out of that. And then there are those who do spend time really foam rolling it out, including myself before I knew better. As the article above stated, how much do you really know about your muscles and trigger points and how much pressure and for how long you should be applying it, etc.

Bye bye foam rolling. Hello stretching. And even a semi-regular massage visit!
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Just wanted to throw a word of caution out there. I've recently been dealing with calf cramping issues (related to Overtrainng Syndrome) and was foam rolling like crazy to help loosen my calves. Finally went to a Sports Medicine Doctor and one of the first things he said was lay off the foam roller. You can actually do more harm than good with them. Here is a blog post that recaps what the doctor was talking about: http://reciprocalinnervations.com/blog/?p=594

I see a lot of people just roll on them for a minute or two. I highly doubt they are getting any possible real benefit out of that. And then there are those who do spend time really foam rolling it out, including myself before I knew better. As the article above stated, how much do you really know about your muscles and trigger points and how much pressure and for how long you should be applying it, etc.

I am one of those folks you might see foam rolling for a minute or two - quads, hams, glutes - after the workout and before the stretch - it just feels good, and it seems to me that I have less DOMS since doing it.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    esjones12 wrote: »

I am one of those folks you might see foam rolling for a minute or two - quads, hams, glutes - after the workout and before the stretch - it just feels good, and it seems to me that I have less DOMS since doing it.

yeah me too, significantly. *shrugs*
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

Love this thanks.