Options
2»

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    Currently running 6 times a week. Training wise it depends on how long until the race. At the moment I am just getting back in to it so am focusing at time on my feet.

Mon - 1 hour
    Tue - 1 hour
    Wed - rest
    Thur - 1 hour
    Fri - 1 hour
    Sat - 2 hours
    Sun - 3 to 4 hours

I'll look to increase my weekend runs by around 30 minutes each week.

But when I get within about 6-8weeks of the actual race I will get a proper training plan and work from that. There are lots and lots out there which give great info on what you should be doing and why.

a 2 hour run on Saturday AND a 3-4 hour run on Sunday? You are trying to injure yourself, not run a marathon, right?

Also a "proper" training plan will likely have you on a 3 week taper, so you are going to use a so-called "proper" plan for all of 3 weeks? What is the point? Also those "proper" plans are probably not going to have you doing anything like what you are already doing (which is ridiculous)

That would be a fine plan for an ultra, 50 miles or more (though you would work up to it and deload every few weeks of course) - but for an ultra you need to get used to running depleted. Plus presumably an ultra is not being attempted by a newb. This would be..extreme for a marathon unless you have some serious experience and serious time goals.

I follow a modified Pfitzinger method (also not a beginner plan). 5-6 times/week, high mileage (into the 70s), and many weeks were I will have a short race effort on Saturday (5-15k) followed by a long run Sunday. In between those weeks are 'steady-state' long runs were a portion of the total is done at goal race pace. It usually starts with a month of easy-paced runs to get up to the proper mileage though. Then one month with speedwork added in, and a brutal month with the races and steady state runs. After that is a 3 week taper. I also do strength training on low mileage days (focusing on glutes, quads, and core.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Currently running 6 times a week. Training wise it depends on how long until the race. At the moment I am just getting back in to it so am focusing at time on my feet.

Mon - 1 hour
    Tue - 1 hour
    Wed - rest
    Thur - 1 hour
    Fri - 1 hour
    Sat - 2 hours
    Sun - 3 to 4 hours

But when I get within about 6-8weeks of the actual race I will get a proper training plan and work from that. There are lots and lots out there which give great info on what you should be doing and why.

a 2 hour run on Saturday AND a 3-4 hour run on Sunday? You are trying to injure yourself, not run a marathon, right?

Also a "proper" training plan will likely have you on a 3 week taper, so you are going to use a so-called "proper" plan for all of 3 weeks? What is the point? Also those "proper" plans are probably not going to have you doing anything like what you are already doing (which is ridiculous)

That would be a fine plan for an ultra, 50 miles or more (though you would work up to it and deload every few weeks of course) - but for an ultra you need to get used to running depleted. Plus presumably an ultra is not being attempted by a newb. This would be..extreme for a marathon unless you have some serious experience and serious time goals.

I follow a modified Pfitzinger method (also not a beginner plan). 5-6 times/week, high mileage (into the 70s), and many weeks were I will have a short race effort on Saturday (5-15k) followed by a long run Sunday. In between those weeks are 'steady-state' long runs were a portion of the total is done at goal race pace. It usually starts with a month of easy-paced runs to get up to the proper mileage though. Then one month with speedwork added in, and a brutal month with the races and steady state runs. After that is a 3 week taper. I also do strength training on low mileage days (focusing on glutes, quads, and core.

Indeed - that sounds like a good plan for an experienced ultramarathoner. I suspect that isn't what that poster had in mind though :)
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options

Mon - 1 hour
    Tue - 1 hour
    Wed - rest
    Thur - 1 hour
    Fri - 1 hour
    Sat - 2 hours
    Sun - 3 to 4 hours

Indeed - that sounds like a good plan for an experienced ultramarathoner. I suspect that isn't what that poster had in mind though :)

I was also about to suggest it might be ultra training. Back-to-back long run are necessary. But yeah, not marathon training for sure!!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Well my hal higdon marathon plan had me doing 10 on Saturday and 20 on Sunday (not every week, over 6 weeks with a cutback week in between), so for me that was about a 2 hour run then a 4 hour run, because I'm slow as slow. But because I do what I want I usually broke up the 10 to 5 in the a.m. and 5 in the p.m. Sometimes I ran it all at once though. I don't know, I ran all the time during marathon training. Doubles four days a week.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    OP: I'm curious about your question. Are you asking because you're thinking of running a marathon (and never have before) or are you just wanting to compare training notes?

Curious if you've run a marathon or not and why you might have posed this question. ;) Can you share more?
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    While not my favorite training strategy for more advanced runners Hal Higdon's plans have gotten many novice marathoners to the starting line and across the finish line.

Agree on Hal Higdon. Take the guesswork out of it (if you're a novice) and is a great place to start.

I use a custom training plan through Endomondo, came off a HM base and am working towards 30km as an intermediate step.

4 days per week, 2 x long runs, 2 x shorter high intensity runs. High intensity is usually intervals.

For me it's about managing risk & injury, even moving from 3 to 4 runs a week had to be managed carefully (probs with Achilles). I would like to do 5-6 if I could.

• 419er
    419er Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well my hal higdon marathon plan had me doing 10 on Saturday and 20 on Sunday (not every week, over 6 weeks with a cutback week in between), so for me that was about a 2 hour run then a 4 hour run, because I'm slow as slow. But because I do what I want I usually broke up the 10 to 5 in the a.m. and 5 in the p.m. Sometimes I ran it all at once though. I don't know, I ran all the time during marathon training. Doubles four days a week.

Not that I didn't believe you, but I had to go see it for myself! Yep - The Intermediate 2, Advanced 1 and Advanced 2 both have weeks with a 10mi on Saturday with a 20mi on Sunday. Whew.

My Nike+Running app coach has the spread out the long runs a bit more. At the peak the long runs are on Tuesdays and Sundays - 16 on Sunday 12 on Tuesday and 20 on Sunday, etc.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I was wondering how do you guys train/prepare for a marathon? Im just curious on how others train.

tumblr_mnmg0rJgwz1qasthro1_500.png

Also I'm currently doing about 50 miles per week on this training plan for running outside. Netflix marathons are great too however and easier to prepare for.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    How do people feel about the Hal Higdon plans? I am eyeing a marathon early next year. I plan to continue building my base (20-30 miles per week: easy, intervals, long) and use Higdon's Novice 2 plan, which has me starting beg. of December. My fear is that it never has you running the marathon distance prior to race day. I've always run the distance of my prior races beforehand. So for my recent 1/2 marathon for example, my training plan included multiple 12+ runs, 3 over 13.1, and topped out at 15.5. So on race day, 13.1 felt easy and I still had plenty of gas in the tank (ran a negative split) at the end when everyone else was fading.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    How do people feel about the Hal Higdon plans? I am eyeing a marathon early next year. I plan to continue building my base (20-30 miles per week: easy, intervals, long) and use Higdon's Novice 2 plan, which has me starting beg. of December. My fear is that it never has you running the marathon distance prior to race day. I've always run the distance of my prior races beforehand. So for my recent 1/2 marathon for example, my training plan included multiple 12+ runs, 3 over 13.1, and topped out at 15.5. So on race day, 13.1 felt easy and I still had plenty of gas in the tank (ran a negative split) at the end when everyone else was fading.

I'm doing a 20 mile run tomorrow. This is going to be my longest run for the April marathon. I'll let you know April 4th how that goes. :laugh:

The benefit of running more than 3:30 isn't worth the injury risk. I took a full week off after the December marathon. Running the full 26.2 feels like you ran 3 half marathons back to back to back. Your training would come to a dead halt.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

I'm doing a 20 mile run tomorrow. This is going to be my longest run for the April marathon. I'll let you know April 4th how that goes. :laugh:

The benefit of running more than 3:30 isn't worth the injury risk. I took a full week off after the December marathon. Running the full 26.2 feels like you ran 3 half marathons back to back to back. Your training would come to a dead halt.

Yeah... Some say you shouldn't even run over 3:00 even if it's mean a 16mi long run and not getting a 20miler in. For the elites, 3:00 means they are getting 22-24 miles training runs.

I'm also running 20mi tomorrow... My longest run since October. It should take me exactly 3:00. My training plan has me running 4x 20mi before race day, but its not a beginner or first time marathoner plan.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

THIS. Running more than 3-3:30 hours takes too long to recover from to make it a worthwhile part of your training schedule. My last round of marathon training, my max run was 20 miles clocking in around 3:20. This time, the same distance should take right around 3 hours. I know some people who max out around 22 miles. Depends on how fast you are, I suppose!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I certainly wouldn't attempt to run more than 20 miles in a marathon build if I was doing it on my own. It is just too difficult to recover from. And honestly by the time you get to the 20 mile day, you know full well you can do it. Novice runners might feel "better" about, say, running to 14 miles before doing a half, but 14 miles isn't going to simply BREAK you like a 26 mile run will.

My coach had me doing a 22 mile run at the peak of my build last year, but that was a 2:45 run for me. If this would have been longer than 3 hours I seriously doubt my coach would have wanted me to go that far. That 22 miler broke me a bit, but that was also 2 weeks out from the race and I had the time to recover from it. On race day, I beat myself into the ground running those 26.2 and it took me at least 3 weeks before I could conceivably run again with any sort of speed (I started running easy and short runs a week out from the race, but actual run efforts would wait for a while).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Dittos to above
    After a certain point, it's not about training the muscles anymore anyway to go the distance, or the pounding on the feet.
    You can easily practice probably the biggest thing - proper pace.
    Too fast and you'll hit the wall, too slow and despite feeling dead, you'll recognize you could have done a tad more.
    Hence the benefit of doing shorter races at indeed race pace, and then seeing what the charts say the pace should be for a marathon. They are usually pretty decent.

If you have a HRM, even easier. Whatever the avg HR was on the shorter distance, make it lower for the marathon.

But you would never do a marathon race pace training, it would wipe you out for too many days of training, or you'd be done and not recover enough and wipe yourself out with injury anyway. Same as just doing the distance, not needed.

I've seen several references in studies to no benefit beyond 3 hrs, but more negatives.

If you need the confidence of foot time, this was in a training program years ago I still find useful.
    Take your expected finish timed divided by 3. That much time will be done walking in total, but in 3 equal time segments.
    The other 2/3's running at race pace. But in 2 equal time segments.
    So if hoping for 9 min/miles, or 236 min total, or 79 min per 1/3.
    25 min walk first.
    80 min run.
    25 min walk.
    80 min run.
    25 min walk.

There, just got foot time of 235 min, even if the pounding isn't equal, which is good. And ran race pace for almost 3 hrs total.
    But this shouldn't wipe you out for 3-4 days, perhaps just a day recovery. Then easy run next day after.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I continue to learn a lot.