Replies

• Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    ITT: everyone thinks OP is gonna quit eating and become a raging alcoholic
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    From what I've learned is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, be it from a carrot a steak a pizza or a beer. I log all my drinks when I go out but I do have a cheat sheet on my phone of what spirits are lowest calorie and pair them with ice, water or diet soda/red bull. I've also learned that dark beers generally have less calories than lighter beers (Think Guinness v. Coors) with the added bonus that Coors you can pound (Higher calorie intake) while if you do that with a Guinness you will feel like you ate a loaf of bread (lower calorie intake) in a sitting!! So you sip a dark beer and therefore, generally take in fewer calories than if you spend a night pounding down the light beers.

Also, I notice if I go out and drink I'm generally up and talking, walking around, playing pool or darts, dancing... I don't tend to just sit and drink, even at a BBQ.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    HAS anyone said it's clear calorie vs. calorie? That's what I want to know.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

The serious eats link above suggests that perhaps in this particular case a calorie of alcohol might not actually be a calorie in terms of metabolic effect. True or not, I can't say, but the article is at least worth a read and some thought.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    The OP said in her original question that it was only hypothetical. She isn't thinking of having 1400 calories worth of an alcoholic drink. She wants to know if there would be a metabolic difference between consuming just alcohol or just food. I don't know, but I do think the nutritional aspect is very important.

I rarely drank even before I began this diet, but I used to drink more often and it always impaired my judgement about food. Some former smokers want to smoke when they drink. I wanted to eat burgers and onion rings.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    That hypothetical makes no sense at all. First of all you did drink that much every day then you should be concerned about your drinking habits and seek professional help. To ask if it would result in the same weight loss isn't a comparable example. 1400 calories in alcohol does not provide you with the nutrition you need at all. No fat, no protein, no micronutrients. You would be extremely unhealthy due to lack of nutrition not to mention the bunch of alcohol you're drinking.

And in case you were not aware, while the body is metabolizing alcohol it's stop metabolizing all macronutrients.

I think you totally missed the point. The OP already admitted that alcohol has no macro or micronutrients.

Have we received a good answer yet? I'm totally curious as well. In terms of weight loss, does a calorie of alcohol equal a calorie of any other food?

Alcohol by many people is considered the 4th or 5th macronutrient.

I would then ask someone in this thread that say it is clear cut calorie vs calorie, how long would the OP's body take to remove 1400 calories of alcohol from her body? During that time what is it doing with stored body fat or glycogen? Is any of it burned off?

No one's claiming anything. We're asking. Again, I think you're missing the point, although you have a terrific urge to argue about it.

No i'm not missing the point. I'm looking at it from the angle from which the body breaks down those calories and the functions it's performing meanwhile.

Why don't you answer my questions?

Do you think the two calorie counts are just calories vs calories?

Dude, I don't know how to make it any more clear. I'm saying I don't know. I'm asking and I'd like a clear answer. I'm not arguing, I'm asking.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

The serious eats link above suggests that perhaps in this particular case a calorie of alcohol might not actually be a calorie in terms of metabolic effect. True or not, I can't say, but the article is at least worth a read and some thought.

Thanks! I didn't see the link above and will check that out.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    I could be wrong (as I sped through the article), but I think it says you can't gain as much weight if you are pounding shots. Your liver won't have time to digest it and get all of the energy, so you pee it out.

In short: weekend plans confirmed.
  • lknorthstar
    lknorthstar Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    From what I understand from the articles that I have read the body will burn alcohol first. So instead of burning the fat you already have in your body it is going to go after that alcohol. As long as you stay away from too many drinks with high carbs and sugars and stay within your calorie allowance you should be fine. Though you may not lose the weight you would have not drinking but hey, everyone needs a treat now and then! As far as a drink being equal to a steak calorie wise I would say no, since the body processes the alcohol differently then the steak but for my diet purposes I enter it in like it does with the knowledge that the alcohol is going to be burned first and not my spare tire! LOL! ;) Good luck!
  • lknorthstar
    lknorthstar Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    corgicake wrote: »
    Strictly in terms of the numbers game, yes it would work. I question the whole bit of alcohol bringing the use of other calories to a grinding halt... this seems like it would be thoroughly exploited by people trying to gain weight if it worked that way. A better comparison would probably be candy bars and booze though, apparently some argue that alcohol is a type of carb but with higher calorie density and both have near zero nutritional content.

I'm not sure how you can say strictly a numbers game it's the same. You can't look at it in terms of just a numbers game. You are comparing alcohol which the body will do everything it can to get rid of and at the same time it's stops metabilozing all the other macronutrients to what it would do to a steak. It is completely different. How long will it take her body to get rid of 1400 calories in alcohol?
    MrM27, I realize that 1400 calories of only alcohol would signify a problem and would not be meeting all of the macronutrients. I'm sorry you didn't understand what I was trying to post. I guess I will do more research.

I perfectly understand what you were saying. On the other hand you can't grasp what I am saying. You are comparing 2 things that are not comparable due to the way the are processed by the body. The question as a whole is a calorie a calorie when you compare the 2 things does not work. If you are trying to understand something specific then ask a better question.

Someone that flagged my post above explain why they flagged it please. Because I'm using logic?

I did not flag your post but I think who ever did flag your post did it maybe because you are being kind of rude. Maybe you didn't mean for it to come across that way but it did. You are not the only one. This is a place for people to get help and support. I wish more people on here would remember that when replying to posts. People don't have to judge, be confrontational, rude, or put the poster down.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    apparently u guys don't know how many calories are in alcohol.

We aren't talking Budlight here.

I had two glasses of Rahr & Sons Iron Thistle yesterday. 255 calories per glass. it was AMAZING!!!

OP. Don't overthink this. While it's true that you should attempt to hit your macros you can just log the calories and subtract it from your total.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is my rocket fuel.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is my rocket fuel.

I sometimes think most of my training is beer-powered. It probably is considering if I didn't drink it in large amounts my weight would plummet to 0lbs
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Yeah... in my line of work, if I didn't drink, I would probably punch someone and then I would probably be in jail and then I couldn't run and would have to eat prison food and lose my MFP privileges and become skinny fat or worse. That's why alcohol has its own separate category in my food diary... to make sure I am getting sufficient intake each day.
  • Cindeeee
    Cindeeee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    klkateri wrote: »
    Also, I notice if I go out and drink I'm generally up and talking, walking around, playing pool or darts, dancing... I don't tend to just sit and drink, even at a BBQ.

You make a great point. On the few occasions that I drink, I really am a lot more active. When I was trying to lose weight for my wedding a couple of years ago, I concluded through a friend's drunk story that I would get a harder workout if I had a shot or a beer before a workout. (I realize that may not have been the smartest thing to do, but a bride will do anything to tone up.) It worked especially well when lifting.

• JustinAnimal
    Options
    corgicake wrote: »
    Strictly in terms of the numbers game, yes it would work. I question the whole bit of alcohol bringing the use of other calories to a grinding halt... this seems like it would be thoroughly exploited by people trying to gain weight if it worked that way. A better comparison would probably be candy bars and booze though, apparently some argue that alcohol is a type of carb but with higher calorie density and both have near zero nutritional content.

I'm not sure how you can say strictly a numbers game it's the same. You can't look at it in terms of just a numbers game. You are comparing alcohol which the body will do everything it can to get rid of and at the same time it's stops metabilozing all the other macronutrients to what it would do to a steak. It is completely different. How long will it take her body to get rid of 1400 calories in alcohol?
    MrM27, I realize that 1400 calories of only alcohol would signify a problem and would not be meeting all of the macronutrients. I'm sorry you didn't understand what I was trying to post. I guess I will do more research.

I perfectly understand what you were saying. On the other hand you can't grasp what I am saying. You are comparing 2 things that are not comparable due to the way the are processed by the body. The question as a whole is a calorie a calorie when you compare the 2 things does not work. If you are trying to understand something specific then ask a better question.

Someone that flagged my post above explain why they flagged it please. Because I'm using logic?

I did not flag your post but I think who ever did flag your post did it maybe because you are being kind of rude. Maybe you didn't mean for it to come across that way but it did. You are not the only one. This is a place for people to get help and support. I wish more people on here would remember that when replying to posts. People don't have to judge, be confrontational, rude, or put the poster down.

My post being rude is subjective. And the flag system is not for something you might find rude. This forum is for information. The OP is asking for information. This is not a support forum. If you have a response to the questions then provide the answers please but don't write to me telling me not to judge someone while judging me.

Making me laugh. You're really argumentative and now really defensive. And your last post, where you finally said "No," was your first direct answer to the question. Just give it a rest, duder.