Heart monitors- calories burned..Do they work?

Options
Hey guys, I just wanted some more information on heart monitors and if they actually work when it comes to how many calories are burned. I know nothing is accurate, however, I just wanted a rough estimate of how many calories I would burn during a workout. I was already given some great advice on heart monitors, however, I just wanted to see what the best brands are, and maybe where I can find some good ones in Canada?

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Have Polar Heart rate monitor FT7 series with chest strap that I use with both elliptical and swimming. Extremely accurate as matches almost exactly with both heart rate and calories burned at clinic
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Peronally, I think they're totally unnecessary.
  • sasaemmat86
    Options
    Really? Why so? I just wanted it to see how many calories burned to also keep track of that.. as right now I am not tracking any of my workouts.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 too, almost a year now. I have heard some say that HRM's in general are not highly accurate, but I love mine. I think even if they are not perfect, they give "data heads" like me some sort of consistent measure from day to day of my numbers. I can see calories burned, percentage of time in fitness/fat burning heart rate zones, time. I love having this info--it motivates me to set goals and work hard to achieve them.

Whatever you do, if you are going to buy a HRM get one with a chest strap. I have heard the ones without are even less accurate and a waste of money. Also, check online if you can handle waiting to get one in the mail. Mine was $100 in the fitness store but only about $70 online....

And, necessary? No. They don't do the work for you, only provide a measure of the work you've done. If that information is not motivating or useful to you, save your money. Some find motivation in other ways---appearance, overall feeling of good health, fit of clothing, etc. I need a bit more extrinsic motivation and day-to-day info, and that is why I love my HRM and would not be willing to give it up!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    They are more accurate than selecting an exercise from a drop-down and entering a duration, and can be more accurate than gym machines (especially if you don't enter your specific information).

I use one now because I found one on sale and the main exercise program I do (Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012) is notoriously inaccurate (low) in it's calorie counts. However, I lost all my weight not using one and using the estimates provided by either MFP or other calculators on various Web sites.

I like using mine because I am very left-brained and numbers make me giddy. :laugh:

Edit to add more info: I use a Reebok-branded Dual Heart Rate monitor. I forget who makes the actual device before Reebok puts their name on it. It allows you to use a chest strap, but also has a wrist-based touch system (which I turned off because I never use it). Checking it against other various methods of getting heart rate (Instant Heart Rate app for smartphone, taking pulse and doing math) the numbers are generally accurate. Checking calories against calculators (average HR and duration of activity) generally comes to within +/- 10 calories.