Can you gain weight without getting fat? Please help

2»

Replies

• blossomofsnow
    blossomofsnow Posts: 21 Member
    @ryry2169‌ thank you so much, best luck to you too!!!
  • blossomofsnow
    @chokeslam512‌ haha got it, I'll stay away from them :)
  • blossomofsnow
    @tylerw86008 thank you, you are the real mvp
  • blossomofsnow
    @LiftAllThePizzas‌ I did think about that, I'm in a bit of hurry to gain the weight fast and I thought maybe start with 0.5kg/week while building muscles and fixing the fat gradually, thank you, now I know it can be done. I think this is the way for me, otherwise I will have to wait 6 months and I just want to be done by summer :)
  • TheGrassBends
    TheGrassBends Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    What works for me is combining 4 days strength training (30-40 minutes) and 2 days cardio (20-30 minutes). I have MFP set for .5 pound gain per week which I regularly attain. I have no problem gaining muscle and not fat. This strategy may or may not work for everyone - everyone has a different body type.

I eat "healthy" food at least 6 days a week - meaning good fats (nuts, fish, olive oil, fish oil). I like Kind bars, Fiber One bars, Zone Perfect protein bars or Luna bars for snacks. Wild salmon, mahi mahi, and chicken are my main sources of meal protein. Rice or pasta, with low sodium sauce as my carb. I also incorporate potatoes, and lots of vegetables and fruits into my diet. I work hard to get enough potassium, and fiber into my diet.

I will have protein shakes at the smoothie shop or Starbucks (yes they have a banana chocolate smoothie on their secret menu).

I supplement with fish oil, a multi vitamin, glucosamine/chondroiton/msm, and calcium.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Some good advice here. Many of us are roughly 80/20 split between "clean" and "junk" (in quotes because they really should be). Those who eat less will need to eat more on the "clean" side to get their micros and most of their macros but once you have a basic, well balanced diet taken care of you can eat what you want. If that's more "clean" foods and you can manage to meet all of your calories with that then go for it. Diet needs to be something you can sustain properly for pretty much your entire life so make sure it's something ou are comfortable with.

Take a look around the forums here and you'll see some more good advice and some heated debates. You can take from it what you like and leave the rest.

Good luck to you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    What works for me is combining 4 days strength training (30-40 minutes) and 2 days cardio (20-30 minutes). I have MFP set for .5 pound gain per week which I regularly attain. I have no problem gaining muscle and not fat. This strategy may or may not work for everyone - everyone has a different body type.

I eat "healthy" food at least 6 days a week - meaning good fats (nuts, fish, olive oil, fish oil). I like Kind bars, Fiber One bars, Zone Perfect protein bars or Luna bars for snacks. Wild salmon, mahi mahi, and chicken are my main sources of meal protein. Rice or pasta, with low sodium sauce as my carb. I also incorporate potatoes, and lots of vegetables and fruits into my diet. I work hard to get enough potassium, and fiber into my diet.

I will have protein shakes at the smoothie shop or Starbucks (yes they have a banana chocolate smoothie on their secret menu).

I supplement with fish oil, a multi vitamin, glucosamine/chondroiton/msm, and calcium.

so you gain 100% muscle?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

so you gain 100% muscle?

That's nothing I've gained 150% muscle. ;)
  • ndj1979

so you gain 100% muscle?

yea, well I gained 1000% muscle...
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member

so you gain 100% muscle?

LOL.... I love this! Great progress!!! :)
  • blossomofsnow
    @TheGrassBends‌ what is your intake on peanut butter? Should it be used in a "clean" diet? Is it a clean food? This app won't let me have any monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fat, and peanut butter is very rich at both. I try to follow the app's advice in general, but this seem rather radical. I wonder if anybody else has this problem
  • blossomofsnow
    @Wheelhouse15‌ yes indeed, the advices are all great including yours, thank you for that. This site is full of nice energetic people and I feel like at home, I keep logging in and converse with new people, taking advices and motivating each other! since yesterday that I signed up I feel I my knowledge on the subject has changed dramatically, and it's only going to get better, I'm in serious love with this app :)
  • ndj1979
    @TheGrassBends‌ what is your intake on peanut butter? Should it be used in a "clean" diet? Is it a clean food? This app won't let me have any monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fat, and peanut butter is very rich at both. I try to follow the app's advice in general, but this seem rather radical. I wonder if anybody else has this problem

don't worry about "clean" food ..it is totally unnecessary for anything.

Make sure you hit your macros/micros/calorie target, and make sure that you are eating nutrient dense food and then filling in with some high calories things that you like, like ice cream, bagels, etc...
  • blossomofsnow
    @ndj1979‌ thank you!!!