This is normal right?

Options
I have been on MFP for over a month. I would like some feedback on how I have been doing. I have been brutally honest in my food diary. I weigh everything I eat at home. I try and get at least 20 minutes of cardio in every day. I use the weight lifting machines at least 4 times a week (I don't always log this).

My 1st week I lost 6 pounds. My 2nd week I lost 1.3 pounds. Weeks 3 and 4 I showed no loss or gain. I have felt better and have been steadily increasing the amount I am lifting on the machines. I am able to run longer when I use the treadmill.

I just feel with such radical changes to my life, that I should see more progress in the weight department. Am I being unrealistic? Am I gaining muscle and that's why I am not losing?

I started at 1200 calories a day, but I still felt hungry so I went up to 1500 a day. I eat back some of the calories I burned I'm exercise.

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon to see a larger weight loss the first week or two. Depending on where you are in your cycle as well could fluctuate your weight. Weight loss isn't always linear. If you open up your food diary, I wouldn't mind taking a look.
  • tamionebum
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, so good for you!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the right track. Weight will fluctuate, but it doesn't mean you're not still losing fat (water fluctuations can mask this). Give it a few more weeks and if the scales are still not moving it may be time to reassess.
  • duchessmellie
    duchessmellie Posts: 9 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks all for the encouragement. I have opened up my food diary
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're off to a great start! 7 pounds in 4 weeks is awesome. Way to get it!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks all for the encouragement. I have opened up my food diary

I took a quick peek at the last few days. Man I haven't had a fruit roll up in YEARS. I need to get some haha. The one think I noticed is it looks like you had some Wendy's and Red Lobster the last few days, which is totally okay if you are still eating at a deficit, but these foods are high in sodium and may cause you to retain some water weight. That may be why you haven't seen the scale move.

But it does sound like you are on the right track. Keep at it!
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Sounds fine. A change in exercise - especially lifting - will cause your muscles to retain water for a bit at first as they heal. Keep at it, not losing for a week or two is perfectly common, juts keep going :)
  • duchessmellie
    duchessmellie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been eating out a lot due to being on vacation. I should probably watch the sodium more.
  • grandma107
    grandma107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    tamionebum wrote: »
    Muscle weighs more than fat, so good for you!

Sorry but a pound is a pound is a pound. HOWEVER muscle does take less mass. Just stick to your caloric allotment and the weight will come off. Blessings.
  • drs64
    drs64 Posts: 20 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I started at 1200 calories a day, but I still felt hungry so I went up to 1500 a day. I eat back some of the calories I burned I'm exercise.
    You're losing less than when you started because you have less of a deficit than when you started
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    7lbs in 4 weeks, logging accurately and a new more active lifestyle

You have SO got this!
  • deoliveiraf
    deoliveiraf Posts: 13 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It also not all about the scale either. How your clothes fit; Healthier Waist-to-Height ratio; Better Body Fat %. These are great Non-Scale Victories (NSV) that you can also shoot for
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    You're doing great. Most people lose a lot of weight in the first week or two. After that, it seems to balance out. 1-2 pounds a week is great. Sometimes that scale doesn't show the weight loss. Go by how you feel and how your clothes are fitting. Those are much better indicators.