Ladies workout clothes that doesn't ride up or slide down?

Options
Lisajohnston
Lisajohnston Posts: 79 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello,
I do fitness classes including a class that is a blend of yoga/pilates/ab work. I find that there is lots of moving and stretching and my shirts often ride up showing my belly/back/love handles area and my capri's don't' always stay in place either. They fit so I'm thinking it might be a style or quality issue. Any recommendations?

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hey! For bottoms, you just have to try a bunch on (try Marshall's/TJMaxx where there's a variety of brands) and make sure you can pull them up really high, like a little past your belly button is ideal. Bend all the way over in the dressing room and make sure they don't go down too low. For tops, you need something that's form-fitting and really long. Tops that are designed for yoga are a good bet. Again, take a zillion into the dressing room and see what works for you. :)
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I like Old Navy compression capris. They are pretty affordable. I have a small waist and larger hips so I had the slipping issues before I found these.

For tops I like Athleta's Chi extra long tanks. A bit pricey but very good quality. They fit me perfectly--not tight, but not so loose they ride up (stay in place during mountain climbers, etc.) and the extra length helps.
  • Kate5283kate
    Kate5283kate Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Agreed, but I'd go even further than alpine - I end up trying on a bunch of capri workout pants at TJMaxx, buying the ones that fit as she suggested, then taking them for a trial run. Some slip a lot, and are good only for spinning class, where it doesn't matter. Some slip slightly, and I wear those for weight lifting with a longer shirt. Those that don't slip are my yoga pants :). There's no rhyme or reason as to brand or even size when it comes to slipping. Ladies, we need to start a movement: Drawstrings for everyone!

For tops, I have found that the thicker stretchy tops that cling a little work better than t shirts or tank tops with no Lycra in them. Even at my heaviest (233 lbs), I could find a size that fit at my local TJMaxx. I will say that "yoga" brands (Prana, Lululemon, etc.) are sized much smaller (and are generally more sheer) than the random activewear brands on the rack.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I have had great luck with Target's C9 stuff. Their stuff seems to fit well when I'm at my skinniest and when I've gained weight. You do need to make sure you're getting the right fit, since some of the stuff trends tighter than others, but it's high quality and usually a decent price.
  • berescga
    berescga Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ladies, we need to start a movement: Drawstrings for everyone!.

I totally agree! With. Smaller waist and bigger thighs, the only bottoms I can run in are ones with a drawstring. Or above the calf capris sometimes because my calf muscles seem to keep them up if I'm not running too long. I wish all activewear brands had drawstrings!
  • cskone38
    cskone38 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna pull up a chair and open a bag of chips for this discussion.....don't mind me ladies!!
  • daniellejacklyn
    daniellejacklyn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lulu lemon is the only brand I've tried that stays put while working out. I've tried on many different brands. Worth the $$ IMO.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Busting out some jumps, squats and high knees in the dressing room is a good test!
  • KatieLK14
    KatieLK14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    oddly enough my favourite pants are from old navy. i have a big butt and a small waist so its usually a struggle to keep my pants from sliding down. my favourite tights have a drawstring in the waist, i got them a few years ago from old navy but i'm sure they still make the same style.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I like some of old navys workout stuff (there is one pair of capris I got from there I hate because they are always stretching down but 3 other pairs that are a different style/material I love) and I actually love the capris that walmart sells, I cant remember the name on the tag though active or be fit or something like that.

Old navy had a few workout shirts that are longer and have stretchy material or drawstrings around the bottum but flowy in the middle, that might be helpful for yoga, but I am not sure.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Joe fresh
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Old Navy and Nike for bottoms. I like compression and not having to worry about adjusting my bottoms during class. Tops, I'm not as picky, tanks, loose or tight depending on the activity. I find most of my stuff at TJ Maxx and Marshalls minus ON. They really have a great active wear section. None of my ON stuff is drawstring and I don't have a problem. The Nike stuff is 50/50 whether or not it has a drawstring but I find it more decorative and don't rely on it to keep my pants up.
  • Lisajohnston
    Lisajohnston Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations it is really annoying to be constantly adjusting my clothes when I'm trying to focus.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Lulu lemon is the only brand I've tried that stays put while working out. I've tried on many different brands. Worth the $$ IMO.

stays put- still see through.

LOL I like it.

I use TJMAXX quiet a big - MPG is there a lot and it's a great brand.

Anything with a wide band and a drawstring are also a winner.