Your denial and excuses story

Options

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I definitely made excuses.....my kids were excellent for that! I was fat before I started having kids, and then had 3 in 4 years. My weight always went back down to about 10lb higher than my pregrenancy weight really fast (3-5 weeks) and I used that as an excuse. "its not THAT bad....at least most of the baby weight is gone"....not keeping in mind that I was fat long before there were any babies, lol!

I lost 35# in early 2013, then had a miscarriage in mid 2013 which resulted in my gaining 10#, then got pregnant again at the end of 2013. The baby is now 6 months and I just started the weight loss journey again in January.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    "At your worst, did you see yourself as obese/unfit?
    What were your go to excuses to be that way?
    What popular myths were your go to?"

1. Unpleasantly plump
    2. The couch and too much food
    3. Just don't eat carbs, just don't eat at all.

When I'm at my best physically, is when I'm at my best mentally. I have been conditioning my mind first, before thinking I will feel perfect when I just get back to where I was when I was thin. When I based all my success of happiness on my size. Now just learning to love the Fit life and how I feel when I live in "Balance". Understanding that losing fast is not the answer and that it wont last that way. That strength and energy is my main goal and all else falls into place.
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    One of the things that fascinates me about weight and fitness condition is how much in denial we can be.

I think a lot of us went through that path and used excuses, twisted "fatlogic" (starvation mode, low blood sugar, I eat 800 calories and do not lose weight...) or we are in plain denial.

At your worst, did you see yourself as obese/unfit?
    What popular myths were your go to?

Because I've suffered from eating disorder2, I saw myself as obese and unfit at my BEST (leanest and strongest!)...yet...when I ballooned to 210 lbs again 3 years AFTER losing most of my pregnancy weight, I didn't see myself as obese or unfit, because I have always been a dancer and gym junkie. What?!?! ... Hmmm...I wonder why my leaps and turns and balance became so terrible this past year?!?!...Anyway, my go-to excuses were: "I'm back on an SSRI. I'm going to gain weight," and "I'm back on birth control, so I'm going to gain weight," and "Once I gain this weight, I won't be able to take it off." (So...my meds worked as a placebo. I gained all the weight back because I thought I would, and subconsciously allowed myself to binge, binge, binge, binge, binge...and then, unfortunately, I fell a little back into the binge/purge mode. There's nothing worse than being bulimic and obese! It's like a double-failure in an already f'd up brain! AHHH!

My go-to popular myths included: "SSRIs and birth control make you gain weight," "CICO is not the answer," aaaand I can't really think of others right now.

All I know is...ever since I've been on here and treating it like it's Facebook (this is my ONLY social media source anymore)...I've educated myself SO SO SO SO much, and I feel like a new person. I've lost 16 lbs since January, and I'm not looking back.
  • MelWick524
    Options
    disorders* ... not disorder2.lol
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    One of the things that fascinates me about weight and fitness condition is how much in denial we can be.

I think a lot of us went through that path and used excuses, twisted "fatlogic" (starvation mode, low blood sugar, I eat 800 calories and do not lose weight...) or we are in plain denial.

"Stupid dryer keeps shrinking my cloths" . . . seriously had that dryer!!!
  • MelWick524
    Options

"Stupid dryer keeps shrinking my cloths" . . . seriously had that dryer!!!

YES!!!!! I've recently started drying some of those same clothes on high in the hopes that they DO shrink a little to match my shrinking butt!!!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    My weight always fluctuated but our winters are brutal cold and sometimes (being a gym teacher) I can spend months in sweats. Weight can creep up on you and all of a sudden your pants do not fit and sweats are too forgiving and the mirror plays tricks. I am pretty stocky and muscular so I can hide it pretty well...but jeans not getting over your *kitten* is a pretty solid shake. So that typically is my wake up call.

• fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    The "only one or two cookies (which actually turned into 6) won't count". and "oh its just one day" added up to 30lbs gained. And the "I'll loose it when the weather is good and I can get outside" didn't happen.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    at my "worst" which I mean you mean fattest
    Yes I meant fattest. I'm sorry if the word worst offended you. In my case I was seriously obese, but I was seeing myself as chubby.

I will answer my own thread latter.

I only made that distinction because i think it was worse for me to not be eating at all than to be a little chubby. Not offended :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I don't have a denial story.

I was only extremely overweight for a couple of years. I was very aware of the situation. I gained due to a series of serious illnesses that started when I had a brain aneurysm. I had several years when I physically could not exercise due to an illness which was difficult to diagnose--it turned out to be adult HGH deficiency/pituitary failure.

One I had a diagnosis and treatment, I was back in the pool ASAP.

I actually DO have a slow metabolism--I have five different metabolic diseases. I just do the best that I can given the challenges and realities that I face.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

Low blood sugar is twisted fatlogic/an excuse??

Muh sugahs ... I gots to keeps muh sugahs up ... om nom nom nom ...

Yeah. It is a giant excuse for folks.

You don't need to eat half a cake, the whole pint of ice cream, and a snickers bar to up your sugars. About a third of the snickers would have done it. Or a slice of bread. Or an apple ...

I think the thread is asking us "stupid" fat people to share our experience. Not seeking "smart" people to share their omniscient ignorance on the subject.

So ... still in denial, then, right.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I dont think I was ever in denial or made excuses. Like above I didnt care, maybe even had a self destruct aspect because there were other more serious things going on.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My problem has always been that I am a volume eater. I remember when I was on weight watchers the first time when I was 17 I would constantly be telling my mom that "No one really lives on this much food a day, this is ridiculous!" and I would pretty much throw tantrums about having to log my food and whine about how unfair it was that I had to watch while other people got to eat what they wanted.

I'm kind of glad I'm past that whiny phase. I wish it didn't take me nine years to get past it though.
  • XxSophie01xX
    XxSophie01xX Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh God, so many excuses!

"I don't ACTUALLY look as heavy as I actually am"
    "It's impossible for me to be slim - my frame is big and it just wouldn't happen no matter how much weight I lose"

So many silly thoughts.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Other than being overweight from giving birth, I have only ever been 20 lbs overweight. Nothing more. It did take me a good 4 years to lose my baby weight. I was 80 lbs overweight. Never diet or exercised ever prior to that. I was 18 when pregnant, so really didn't think about those things.

I didn't have any excuses I had a baby and got fat during and after. During those 4 years I counted calories. Sometimes I would do atkins to help cut calories. But I would print out all the fast food nutrition and glue it into a notebook. I took it everywhere with me and chose items that I knew would fit my 1200 calorie goal. Yeah I was one of those 1200 calorie eating people in my early 20's. I didn't research it much at all. I lost 70 lbs restricting calories and working out.

I maintained my weight and then I moved and gained 20 lbs eating all the new foods. Went from Jersey to FL. Lots of hispanic food and its my fave. No excuses. I ate those 20 calories back and have been up and down with MFP since 2011.
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was always overweight, I was over 250lb by high school graduation and 318lb at my highest in university. My best friend since 1st grade was always thin, pretty, athletic...so I always felt like I was a background character who lived in the shadows. I would lay awake for hours at night thinking about how I would start eating better, etc, then wake up and never do anything I thought about. I knew scientifically that counting calories and tracking food would be the best way to do it, but I always considered it too troublesome and time consuming to track every single thing you ate. Eventually I just started to think it was impossible for me to change.

As I reached my mid-twenties, I started to realize just how awful the weight made me feel--I barely went out, my joints were all stiff and creaky, I felt OLD at 26 years old. If I felt old then, what would I feel like when I actually WAS old? If I even lived that long. I think that's what flipped my "let's do this" switch. My friend's mom had lost around 60lb on Weight Watchers, so I did the online version for a month. As someone who had always known the science behind weight loss and that it has to be a lifestyle change, not a diet, I found the program unsatisfying and lacking in detail and refinement. I wanted to track my macros to ensure I got a good balance, for example. And my sodium intake. That's when I found MFP, and I've used it to lose a great many more pounds. Almost to the 100lb down from highest weight mark.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I dont think I was ever in denial or made excuses. Like above I didnt care, maybe even had a self destruct aspect because there were other more serious things going on.

This. I always knew I was fat. I had 100+ kids at school making it their sworn duty to remind me every day, because apparently, I wouldn't know unless they reminded me every chance they had.

It came down to a doctor sitting me down, looking me in the eye, and telling me I'd never live to 35 if I didn't fix it to make me care.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Yes I knew I was overweight.
    My excuse: I was always very healthy and active until my ex hit me with a car and broke my hip and pelvis. It requires two surgeries to fix it, and I have a plate and 6 screws in my pelvis. I couldn't stand for 9 months, couldn't walk more than a step or two for the first 3-4 months after I could stand and couldn't walk at all without a walker or crutches for the next year. But I never changed my eating habits and quickly packed on 65 pounds. Finally 4 years after the "accident" I was back to running again and lost the weight. 4 1/2 years ago I dislocated my hip (during childbirth of my last baby), managed to damaged the hip socket during the dislocation and yet again went through another hip surgery. Due to the joint being very unstable I went through another year of barely being able to get around (again using a walker and crutches), again didn't modify my food intake and gained. Got cleared just over a year ago (3 1/2) years after the reinjury, worked out for a month and was diagnosed with a cyst in my brain which then burst and I ended up with a raging case of meningitis. I knew what I needed to do (reduce my calorie intake as my activity dropped off) I just didn't want to.

Got cleared again to workout in October and I am on day 190 and down 30 pounds, with another 39 or so to go.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    At your worst, did you see yourself as obese/unfit? Extremely obese, no illusion for me.
    What were your go to excuses to be that way? None
    What popular myths were your go to? None

I got sick and tired of being sick and tired and shed the weight.

• lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I KNEW I was unfit. I HATED it. But not enough to do something about it for a couple of years. My excuse, I live in the second-fattest major U.S. city. So, I figured I was better off than most. I am 44, this is as good as it gets.