Sweat......Lots of sweat......Good or bad for weight loss?

Options
More sweat = more loss or it doesn't matter

Replies

• AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ialLlcdcw

I would say it's a good thing to sweat more. Because of that video right there.

tl;dr: You breathe and sweat out your fat. (80% is breathed out the rest is urine, sweat, tears whatnot)
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm not a particularly sweaty person and still lose consistently if I am in a deficit. Sweating more during cardio may mean you will have temporarily lower water weight, but it doesn't matter for fat loss.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Sweating varies from person to person, not a good indicator of "more loss"
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I never sweat :neutral_face: not even in a sauna.
    I don't think sweat is fat coming out of your skin :D it's just water. Wouldn't you otherwise be terribly greasy when you're sweating :wink:
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    If you specifically want the mass lost to be composed of water and minerals... Yes... Otherwise no... I am assuming you want to lose fat. Fat is metabolized to use as energy and not sweated out.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I've been walking 2 to 3 hours a day and just started lifting. The weather is cold, so when I start to walk, I have some layers on. After about 20 minutes I start removing gloves and layers and start feeling very warm. I'm not sweating much, but am losing.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Well...fat doesn't actually cry so I would say that for weight loss it doesn't matter how much you sweat. The purpose of sweat is to cool you down.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Nah, when I was huge, I was sweaty all the time without working out. Now I am only sweaty when I am working out. LOL
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I sweat like a boss, I wish it meant more weight loss!
    I didn't mean for that to rhyme.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Sweating amounts is an individual body thing. Some people just sweat more than others. It has no relation to the amount of calories being burned.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    One can sweat just as much sitting on the park bench on a sunny day. Sweat is to cool the body temperature down and varies from person to person and how much clothing one is wearing in contrast to temperature they are working out in.
    Sweat can be an indication of EFFORT, but doesn't necessarily mean more weight loss since that has more to do with what you're consuming rather than the exercise you're doing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I swim so I don't have to feel the sweat :)
  • ameliajane90
    ameliajane90 Posts: 24 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hahahahaha As someone who works outdoors and sweats A LOT, if sweating more meant fat loss I'd be 90lb in summer when it hits 105 F every year here in MD.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It does take some energy to regulate your body temperature, but it is a relatively small amount compared to other things that you do.
  • gomezcasondra
    Options
    I don't know about you but I love to sweat when I am exercising bc you are getting all that excess water and toxins out of your body.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If the amount that a person sweat determined how much they weighed or would lose...I wouldn't be obese I'd be healthy...just saying. I'm a sweater - always have been no matter my weight. My husband (who is just slightly over a normal weight) doesn't sweat like me and looks at me like I'm weird. There's a shirt I want to buy for myself that sums it up "you see sweat, I see a sexy glow." B)
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    As much as people talk about water retention, I know that I can drop a couple of pounds worth of water weight just from sweating. But that doesn't equate to fat loss necessarily, I just know that each week the scale dips lower and lower, so I figure the sweat is paying off, even if it isn't an indicator of true weight loss.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Well I will refrain from using the word good or bad on this site...it makes people crazy i guess. I found that out yesterday when I said....good and bad in response to a question on potatoes....so I won't do that again. SWEAT IS HEALTHY. but I don't sweat very easily even though I work very very hard....that is healthy too. SO...lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't know about you but I love to sweat when I am exercising bc you are getting all that excess water and toxins out of your body.
    You don't sweat out "toxins". Sweat is comprised of mostly water, salt, and tiny tiny tiny amounts of ammonia and urea (both from protein breakdown). And when you drink water, you put it back in your body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    AmbyrJayde wrote: »

I would say it's a good thing to sweat more. Because of that video right there.

tl;dr: You breathe and sweat out your fat. (80% is breathed out the rest is urine, sweat, tears whatnot)

Thanks for posting this. Very illuminating!