Protein

Options
blb85
blb85 Posts: 187 Member
I have been noticing that I don't seem to be getting enough protein in my diet... According to a website, I should be getting about 81 grams of protein a day, which works out to about 27 grams of protein per meal (if I eat 3 square meals). I checked, and I usually get about 15-18 grams a meal instead, so I'm about 20 grams short on my day.

How do all of you make sure to get enough protein? Do you have examples of your meals you eat? Is the only answer for my problem is that I need to do the protein shakes (which I currently don't do, since I don't own a blender or whatever).

My current diary usually looks similar to this:

Morning: Greek Yogurt (12 grams) + Granola (4 grams) = 16 g

Lunch: Turkey Breast (5 g) + Cheese (2 g) + Whole wheat grain (5 g) = 12-14 g

Dinner: Fish or Chicken (16-18 g) + Vegetable/Grain (2 g) = 20-25

Snack: KIND bar or Quest bar = 10-20 grams

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal?

I usually have eggs and a Greek yogurt for breakfast which is about 24G of protein, lunch I'll have Beef jerky and a ham and cheese wrap 40G protein, Dinner is kind of up in the air depending I am cooking or if my boyfriend is cooking. I eat a Musclepharm protein bar which is 20G of protein and then sometimes a Protein shake if I am on the lower end of my cals for the day which is 25G of protein.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If I use the high end of your figures it's 75 g. Try adding hemp seed to your Yogurt 10 g more. Mixed nuts 5 g more. You can also just increase your Chicken/Fish. Just a couple ideas, your not far off good luck.
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is about 1500 (ish). My main focus is to just get more lean (I have a lot of body fat!). I'm not trying to focus so much on weight loss (although I would love to take off about 35 lbs), but more focus on my body physique. This is why I'm focusing on trying to get more protein in my diet so I don't lose muscle while trying to take off weight.

Yes, on the higher end of my diary scale, I probably do clock in somewhere in the 70 gram range, but usually my diary clocks in at about the 65 gram range. This is why I'm looking for advice to help tweak what I'm currently doing to add more protein in.

I probably do need to start waking myself up early to make some eggs or something for breakfast. I never thought about hemp seeds though. Also nuts probably would help... I seem to be getting too much carbs and fat, but just not enough protein...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I eat between 110-140 grams of protein on 1500 or 1600 calories a day. Quest bar for breakfast, a few ounces of chicken in my lunch along with a yogurt maybe, 5-6 ounces of ground turkey for dinner, then I pick up little bits of protein with bread, peanut butter, etc. I do eat a second Quest bar very often, but I would never suggest that to anyone. I'm just really into them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My goal isn't quite that high. I get about 75-80g per day. My chief sources of protein are fish/meat and beans. I strive for high fiber so I eat a lot of beans. Lesser sources are greek yogurt, nuts and peanut butter. Non-legume vegetables and grains make up the rest.

Yesterday I got 79g of protein. I don't eat breakfast. Lunch was greek yogurt w granola and sugar snap peas. Dinner was baked fish, roasted broccoli and black-eyed pea salad. I had a spoonful of peanut butter for a snack.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm perfecting 110g of protein a day, as recommended by my doctor due to high intensity exercise regimen. 1560-2k calorie intake depending on exercise. Friend me to check out my diary.

It looks like the days you were seriously under the 81g you still had like 200 calories to eat. Then days you went over your calories you knocked protein out of the park. So look at your weekly intake vs daily. Start reading food labels and look for options and brands with higher protein. Nuts, fish, lean meats, nut butters, and quinoa are great sources of protein.

I personally don't recommend protein shakes unless you have a high protein goal and a lower calorie intake. Even then most of the stuff on the market is crappy. I use a $7 shaker bottle to mix my protein powder up. It's "cleaner" than most powders (no hormones, GMO free, etc) and it's only 90 calories for 20g protein. I'd much rather eat food, but I can't eat 2 cans of Tuna a day without puking, so.....to reach my needs I stick it in chocolate almond milk or a green smoothie almost daily.