are protein bars bad?

Options
Okay so I've been eating 2 little protein bars a day because they're really helping me stay within my calories and I'm actually staying full which is a weird occurrence for me. Is this bad? Feel free to check out my diary.

Replies

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    If you dislike the taste of them, or how they make you feel, then yes, they're bad.

If you enjoy them, and they help you reach your calories and macros while remaining in a deficit, then eat on!
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I think as long as that is not all you are eating they are fine! Some of them are gross, but that is another story.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    No, they aren't inherently bad. Many are designed for people who need to cram a lot of calories into a small package though - bulkers, long distance hikers/backpackers, etc. The lowest calorie ones I could find with the most amount of protein ended up being the Kroger Simple Truth brand bars. I can get the double chocolate bar with 21g protein for 190 cals which is one of the best I found. I eat them when I am hiking or for dessert instead of 170-200 cals of Cadbury chocolate squares.
  • midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Lol I actually think they taste amazing. I've got a bit of a sugar addiction so it's helped me stay away from cookies and cakes.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    They are only bad if they taste like cardboard....like the ones I find here.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    ok so let me share what i learned about the mfp site yesterday. never never never write the words bad or good. the word police will assault you like there is no tomorrow. to the question at hand. i like the protein bars and there is nothing unhealthy in it so....would that make them good. O GOD FORBID...lets call them an acceptable snack. imo
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    As long as you are meeting your nutritional needs (macros, etc) you are good to go.

In order to lose weight you need a deficit so as long as you are doing that then you are good to go.

If you mean "bad" as in are they full of processed chemicals and not good for your body in the long run if you eat a ton of them....insert huge debate.

Is any food "bad"....insert huge, huge debate.

Also think about long term as in - do I want to keep eating two of these a day for the rest of my life. Personally i feel you should strive to lose weight in a way that teaches you the kind of eating and health habits you want long term. So you may want to mix it up a bit, get used to eating other options, or you may have issues making choices once you do lose the weight. It is very easy to get tired of one food too. So allowing yourself to use any food in particular as a crutch could be a bad thing. But that is all personal preference and just some things I've learned on my journey.
  • midpath
    Options
    I love the simple truth ones and also "Pure Protein" which is like 21g protein, 3g sugar, 180 calories <-- that's the chocolate deluxe. Found them at Kroger and the blueberry Greek yogurt one was INCREDIBLE
  • urloved33
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    As long as you are meeting your nutritional needs (macros, etc) you are good to go.

In order to lose weight you need a deficit so as long as you are doing that then you are good to go.

If you mean "bad" as in are they full of processed chemicals and not good for your body in the long run if you eat a ton of them....insert huge debate.

Is any food "bad"....insert huge, huge debate.

Also think about long term as in - do I want to keep eating two of these a day for the rest of my life. Personally i feel you should strive to lose weight in a way that teaches you the kind of eating and health habits you want long term. So you may want to mix it up a bit, get used to eating other options, or you may have issues making choices once you do lose the weight. It is very easy to get tired of one food too. So allowing yourself to use any food in particular as a crutch could be a bad thing. But that is all personal preference and just some things I've learned on my journey.

IS ANY FOOD "BAD"....insert huge, huge debate. THANK YOU that was hysterical. add to that a huge huge debate with people saying mean mean things to you.
  • midpath
    Options
    I guess I just don't know what to eat to get full
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Make sure to get adequate nutrition and have a variety of food besides protein bars. However, if you like them and are staying full, then there's not much of a problem. They're my main source of protein because I'm lazy and don't cook meat that often.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    laurielima wrote: »
    ok so let me share what i learned about the mfp site yesterday. never never never write the words bad or good. the word police will assault you like there is no tomorrow. to the question at hand. i like the protein bars and there is nothing unhealthy in it so....would that make them good. O GOD FORBID...lets call them an acceptable snack. imo

I saw your comment on the potatoes thread and was one of those who commented in an attempt to clarify. Unfortunately, we see a lot of posters around here who seem to develop food issues that border on orthorexia and I don't like to let comments stand unchallenged that might drive people away from certain foods. I'm sorry if you feel that my comments were a direct attack on you or "mean mean", but they certainly weren't meant that way.

Adding this one to my "try to help, get called mean" count.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    midpath wrote: »
    Okay so I've been eating 2 little protein bars a day because they're really helping me stay within my calories and I'm actually staying full which is a weird occurrence for me. Is this bad? Feel free to check out my diary.

I tend to have one or two a day as a snack and they don't seem to hurt my progress. If you like them and they fit in your calorie and nutrition goals then go for it.
  • urloved33
    Options

I saw your comment on the potatoes thread and was one of those who commented in an attempt to clarify. Unfortunately, we see a lot of posters around here who seem to develop food issues that border on orthorexia and I don't like to let comments stand unchallenged that might drive people away from certain foods. I'm sorry if you feel that my comments were a direct attack on you or "mean mean", but they certainly weren't meant that way.

omg they even follow you....ugh!

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

haha! creepy huh?
  • urloved33
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »

haha! creepy huh?

o god yeah so creepy. this past year i have had roommates and i never had roommates before and it made me aware that people can be so....weird and weirder about food...and emotional...one roommate would groan while he cooked and ate...like he was having sex. creepy. he is gone now!

• berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    they are good
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i have recently fallen in love with quest bars. not even too sure how many are currently in my pantry. i usually eat one after a workout when im ravenous. plus they feel the need for a 'dessert'
  • diannethegeek
    Options

You came into a thread and chose to disparage those posters who happened to reply to you elsewhere. I happened to come into the same thread, remembered your avatar by chance, and found a post talking down about myself and others. I'd hardly call it "following" you. Ugh.
  • midpath
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »

haha! creepy huh?

o god yeah so creepy. this past year i have had roommates and i never had roommates before and it made me aware that people can be so....weird and weirder about food...and emotional...one roommate would groan while he cooked and ate...like he was having sex. creepy. he is gone now!

I've been known to dance while I eat lol.