Shakes for meal replacements

Options
2»

Replies

• kelseyjean5
    kelseyjean5 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard of Shakeology through Beachbody? What are your thoughts on that? I question those type of shakes and along with a high cost.

I have yet to try them. I heard they were good, but I also has heard they aren't as healthy as they claim to be. But if anyone has tried them I'd like to know was well!
  • kelseyjean5
    kelseyjean5 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Nope, you can eat any time of day or night divided into however many meals and snacks work for you. For some folks, many small meals work. For others, one big meal works. Some must have a big breakfast, some don't want to eat before they've been up a few hours. Listen to your own body and do what helps you keep your overall diet in control without discomfort.

Good to know! I've always been one to not eat much during the day, simply because I'm not hungry. but around dinner time I feel as if I could eat everything in sight!
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    I LOVE my protein shake! I make it with 8 oz, of 1% milk, ice and a tbsp of olive oil (to hit my fat macro). It is delicious in taste and the texture is just like that of a milkshake. In terms of nutrients, it has 36 grams of carbs, 19 grams of fat and 29 grams of protein. How is this not a balanced meal?
  • RedPanda85
    RedPanda85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my protein shake! I make it with 8 oz, of 1% milk, ice and a tbsp of olive oil (to hit my fat macro). It is delicious in taste and the texture is just like that of a milkshake. In terms of nutrients, it has 36 grams of carbs, 19 grams of fat and 29 grams of protein. How is this not a balanced meal?

I think what makes it not balanced as compared to a meal containing same calories is the lack of additional nutrients; for example fiber, iron, potassium, vitamin a, b, c, d etc.

But it also sounds like there's a difference between a straight protein powder and water mix shake and a shake that includes both food and protein powder. For me, I enjoy these type of shakes and used to replace my lunch with them and it would satisfy my sweet tooth because of the ripe fruits. I make it with fresh brewed unsweetened green tea. Then again, I tend to eat lightly during the day and more heavily at night with snacks and dinner.

Try it. If it works for you and fits in with your calories and macros, then you'll be happy you gave it a shot! :)
  • KickinIt23
    KickinIt23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    what is everyone's opinion on replacing a meal with a protein shake? I have recently started replacing my lunch for a shake; however, I have heard both good and bad things!

You can't replace a whole meal with a protein shake, you would only be taking the protein part away. Try eating some fruit carbs and a protein shake as a meal. Hope this helps.
  • jsobole
    jsobole Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Here's the breakdown of the shake I had for breakfast this morning - I use shakes because they're quick and I hate breakfast.

Calories: 232
    Protein: 25 g
    Carbs: 32 g
    Fat: 1 g
    Saturated Fat: < 1 g
    Calories from Fat: 10
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Protein shakes aren't designed to be meal replacements...they are just supplements to help you hit your protein goals. A protein supplement shake does not have the nutritional make up to be meal replacements IMO.

This. Protein shake =/= meal replacement shake.

Plus there are actually a lot of psychological benefits to eating your calories vs drinking them. Most people tend to feel fuller after chewing food vs drinking it. Usually associated with it taking longer to consume. I know there have been studies on it but am not in a Googling mood ;)

I always opt to eat whole real foods before reaching for any type of supplement or meal replacement. There is a difference between being lazy and needing supplements or keeping meal replacement bars/shakes on hand for unplanned situations.
  • k8325
    k8325 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have two pure protein shakes with a banana in the morning. I drink one with the banana before the gym and then one has a substitute for sugar and creamer in my black coffee afterwards. I find it sustainable and delicious.
  • jennifergoettlrutt
    Options
    I do Isagenix, their shakes are amazing tasting and are a total meal replacement. Each shake has all the nutrients the body needs. They are filling and I have actually had amazing weight loss results from my new lifestyle change. I have lost 23 lbs and 25.75 inches in a little over a month. My kids drink the shakes and do do my hubby. He does isalean pro which helps build lean muscle. He doesn't need to loose weight but just be healthier and he works construction so they are convient for him when he is working. All he needs is water and he has his breakfast and lunch for the day!
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Have a protein shake after you do a heavy lifting workout. For meals, eat real food.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    My opinion on it... If you like it, it is sustainable, and you are getting enough calories and nutrients through the day, then go for it... I am a firm believer of "do what works for you..."
  • tag624
    tag624 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hey not sure if anyone has told you but if you become a coach you get 25% off everything, that’s why I recently became a coach, I spend so much money buying there products I figured why not