Feeling so down

Options
I've been thinking of seeing the doctor about a gastric bypass. I said I would NEVER do it because it is such a risky surgery and if not careful you balloon right back up, but I don't think I can do this on my own. The more I try, the more I fail. Im having a hard time finding foods that are convienent and will keep me full for long periods of time. I need foods I can make at work, fast and foods I can eat at my desk kinda hiding it. I am just at the point that I just do not know what to do anymore.

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is hard, but it can be done. Maybe you need to think a little less about what's "convenient" and "fast" and start focusing on what's "healthy" and "good." The fact is that what it takes to lose weight is often inconvenient and time-consuming, at least until you get used to the changes. Eventually, it will all be second nature.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Let's start with what kind of foods do you like? What is your weight loss goal? How many calories are you eating each day? Do you have a place to keep food at your desk? Give some additional information and I'll give you some of my thoughts and ideas.

Even if you end up getting a gastric bypass (and for some people this is the best choice - only you and your doctor will know that), you will still need to learn how to eat to lose healthily and then keep it off.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi, Tammy. I'm Tami, too. I don't have an answer. But my first thought is that unless you change what is going on in your brain, changing what is going on in your stomach is not going to help much. Do you have the ability to seek some counseling? If not, journal your thoughts and feelings when you are eating. Figure out what is your motivation to eat it. I suspect it's not hunger.

You can do this. It will not be easy. Nothing good is.

If you want to do it without surgery, take baby steps toward your goal. Start with a small goal like making sure you drink 8 ounces of water a day. When you master that, start making sure you drink 16 ounces a day. Then 24, 32, etc. Or cut out one soda per day, if that is an issue. Once you master that, cut out two sodas, etc, until you are not drinking soda at all or only occasionally. Take a ten minute walk a day, or five, or two. Whatever you can do. When you master that, go longer. Don't do all these things at once, do them one at a time.

Again, you can do this. You deserve it! Be good and kind to yourself. <3
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Actually, many healthy things can be made fast. I stock my drawer at work with progresso healthy soup, almonds, etc. I make salads ahead of time or bring lots of leftovers from my previous dinner. These are all both fast and healthy. If you aren't feeling full, look at protein. I keep tuna packets in my drawer, too, and use those for snacks. You can do this! Just take small steps--it doesn't have to happen fast as long as you are moving in the right direction. Good luck!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Loads of things you cna prepare / warm up in the microwave. You cna also prepare food.

the more I see people who are having a rough time and according to them cant lose weight then it always seems to be down to getting the basics right to ensure you are at a consistent calorie deficit.

Obviously you need to get your mind right so you cna focus on and execute any plan.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Only you can make that decision but if you really want to get healthy I strongly suggest you give it one more try for yourself before you seek out having surgery. I'm not saying surgery is wrong or bad but you said yourself its risky so why not take a chance on yourself first?

A few things that might help you get started. Start out by completing your profile here, see what you need for calories and other nutrients aka "macros" to fuel your body. If you need foods that are convenient and healthy you'll need to take a few minutes to actually make that happen. You can grab a bunch of grapes, string cheese and voila instant snack. Like veggies but don't have time to cut them up buy the prepackaged ones.

Little changes that end up with big impact. If you find yourself using drive ups stop, park the car and walk inside. Make an extra trip to the car to bring in groceries, walk up and down every aisle in the grocery store. Park farther away in the parking lot, take the stairs, start pacing, just keep on moving all those little steps add up.

If you're not a big fan of cooking buy or get a crockpot if you don't already have one. These often come with their own cookbooks and basically you can make anything with them.

Now go take a picture of yourself (yes I know you hate pictures), get a tape measure and face the truth. You're going to want these down the road, one day you'll suddenly understand why they're so important.

Congratulations for finding MFP, make the decision you need to make for yourself and I'm quite sure it'll be the right one if you look deep in your heart.
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Let's start with what kind of foods do you like? What is your weight loss goal? How many calories are you eating each day? Do you have a place to keep food at your desk? Give some additional information and I'll give you some of my thoughts and ideas.

I really like all kinds of food. My weightloss goal is 100lbs. MFP says 1700 calories a day. I do have a place for snacks at my desk. I feel like I am doing good, then I log and I realize nope not so great. Not today or this week even. Ive stopped at dunkins both days just because it was easy. I know nothing in life is easy.
  • danashapter
    Options
    I opted to exercise and change eating. I lost 65lbs. And have been stuck for months. Even gained a few back. Feel hungry especially at night. Super bummed 14 months I should be at goal weight. Now I'm regretting not at least getting lap band. Have no idea what to do now.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    maybe plan ahead and pre-log what you want to have for the day so there are no surprises if you log after you've already eaten
  • deevah62
    deevah62 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's important to find foods that fill you up. Greek yogurt instead of fat free, oatmeal, nuts and other proteins. Getting enough fluids is really important - try herbal teas to add some variety.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I really like all kinds of food. My weightloss goal is 100lbs. MFP says 1700 calories a day. I do have a place for snacks at my desk. I feel like I am doing good, then I log and I realize nope not so great. Not today or this week even. Ive stopped at dunkins both days just because it was easy. I know nothing in life is easy.

dunkin' donuts isn't actually all bad. I've grabbed breakfasts and lunches there before. I'm all for quick and easy, too. I love the pre-made salads at the grocery, and I'll buy some pre-cooked chicken to warm up and add to it to make it more filling, possibly accompany it with some chopped up fruit, popcorn, sweet potatoes. Sandwiches are also pretty easy to throw together - just a couple slices of bread, some PB & J, or some cheese and meat and possibly some mustard and mayo. Google some search terms like "quick low cal/healthy work snacks/meals" etc. You can do this!

ETA: it really helps me to plan in advance. I like pre-logging my days, so I know what and when I'm eating. I know what to expect, and it makes it easier mentally - for me anyway.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    maybe plan ahead and pre-log what you want to have for the day so there are no surprises if you log after you've already eaten

This...pre-log, pre-log, pre-log....I'm a year in and still pre-log most of the time to know what my day is going to look like and whether what I'm taking out to thaw for supper is going to fit my goal.

You will have to make effort to plan ahead and it won't always be convenient. If you can't do it now, surgery won't solve that for you. Try again before going the surgery route and make an effort to plan and meet your calorie goals. I have an acquaintance who had surgery and 2 years later is the same size because her habits never chnged. Surgery won't change your thinking or habits