Meal prep

Options
so I've recently decided im going to start to meal prep. I know chicken and salmon are popular protein choices and sweet potatoes/brown rice/quinoa for starch, but does Anybody have any good ideas on the best(or their fav) way to make them (flavors,spices). Any advice on any part of meal prep is appreciated!!thanks for everything in advance!!

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I like a good chicken stir-fry over brown rice. Easy, tasty veggies included, and scales easily to meet caloric goals...

On the other hand, I'm Asian, so there might be some bias...
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I swear by baked chicken, cubed and stirred into simmer sauces.

Bake chicken breasts (http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-the-best-chicken-breasts-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211453) in advance.

When cool, cube and freeze 12-16 oz portions.

Thaw, and stir 12-16 oz. cubed chicken into simmer sauce (marinara sauce, tikka masala sauce, dopiaza sauce, rogan josh sauce, satay chicken sauce, etc.)

Serve as is, or over broccoli slaw, quinoa, brown rice, etc.

Another one:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/salsa_verde_chicken_bake/

I leave out the cheese.
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder red pepper flakes if you want it spicy. Keep it simple ;) Add any veggies you want and season them too.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I don't "meal prep" as much as "ingredient prep." That way I have stuff ready to go for quick supper prep. For example, right now I have a tray of chicken leg quarters and a couple of big sweet potatoes in the oven. We'll eat some of it for supper tonight but the rest of the chicken meat will be put in meal-sized containers in the freezer. Then I can thaw and use for whatever -- e.g. pulled chicken in barbecue sauce, chicken salad, chicken soup, asian stir fry, etc. The rest of the sweet potatoes will probably turn into gnocchi tomorrow and be frozen, again in meal-sized portions. If you are only eating for 1 or 2, you can do a lot with just the top-of-the-fridge freezer. Make a big batch of brown rice. Divide it into meal-sized portions. Freeze. Almost anything can get this treatment. Then you can start to make supper by saying, "What fresh veg needs using? What can I thaw in the nuker and add to it to make supper?"

We'd get bored from too many "leftovers" of the same thing. By having the ingredients ready to go we get variety without a lot of daily prep work.
  • cdsandahl
    cdsandahl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ahh, you all are amazing! Thanks for all the ideas!(:
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash is my favorite for marinating chicken breast, ground turkey & shrimp. Grilling is my favorite way to cook them. Ground turkey of course in a pan on the grill. No oil, just water when needed.