I'm really struggling

Options
So here's the deal, I'm 24 and I live with my daughter. I live in the middle of nowhere and after my daughter goes to bed around 8pm I'm just sitting by myself. I'm finding it so hard not to eat out of boredom and keep feeling like I should just give up and eat over my set amount of calories. Is anyone else struggling with loosing weight and doing it alone?

Replies

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Do you have any hobbies? You could always watch TV and eat some air popped popcorn.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Leave yourself some calories for after 8 pm snacking. Also get a hobby that will keep your mind and your hands busy. I'm a painter and a Navy wife so I spend a lot of evenings alone-- it's best to be working on a project.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good time to work out.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I would either:

Read
    Yoga
    Netflix

I agree with saving some calories for snacking.

Don't give up.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

This.

Also, I love to eat in the evening. I've lost almost 30 pounds having a dessert every night. Sometimes it's even a mini second dinner. Plan for it!
  • thelittlecharacter
    thelittlecharacter Posts: 69 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you're snacking at night, make sure you've earned it through a free weight/body weight workout (hour long or so) that's a bit challenging. If you're just eating junk food out of boredom then you're basically just wasting your money....don't worry so much about your calories when you're eating good quality protein and complex carbs from veggies. Personally, I don't snack on packaged foods because it never leaves me feeling satisfied. I've been eating something high protein cooked in a little olive oil rather than butter on nights where I'm feeling that I need a refeed. Even have a banana and natural peanut butter. I take a B vitamin supplement around that time too so I'm not worried about getting my dose of some extra nutrients from a high sugar/carb foods like cereals.
  • brookekato
    brookekato Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I feel that way, too. Lately, I've been binge-eating and in the last 2 weeks I've gained about 5 pounds. I can't seem to get back on the "health wagon" either.
  • honeybee_kisses
    honeybee_kisses Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, save some calories for an evening snack. I struggle so much with snacking after the kids are in bed so I always save for a bit of chocolate or a slice of toast etc.
    other than that all you can do is distract yourself. Work out, get lost in a good book, come on these forums for a chat, take a long soak in the bath. Whatever works for you and it will feel easier in time.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I would do an excercise video once your wee one is in bed. There are loads on YouTube. It will have the dual benefit of stopping you snacking whilst you are doing it and giving you a few extra calories for a snack later on if you need it
  • Runningveggie
    Options
    Leave yourself some calories for after 8 pm snacking. Also get a hobby that will keep your mind and your hands busy. I'm a painter and a Navy wife so I spend a lot of evenings alone-- it's best to be working on a project.

This is great advice. I crochet! Help to keep my mind off of wandering to "wonder if there are any good snacks here"
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I agree that working out during that time would be great. Or stay busy but I would not recommend TV. Everyone is different of course but watching tv tends to make some people snack.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    I agree that working out during that time would be great. Or stay busy but I would not recommend TV. Everyone is different of course but watching tv tends to make some people snack.

Um, yea, lol. All the commercials for burgers, pizza, etc can really get me going.

• JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »

Um, yea, lol. All the commercials for burgers, pizza, etc can really get me going.

lol...exactly!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    So here's the deal, I'm 24 and I live with my daughter. I live in the middle of nowhere and after my daughter goes to bed around 8pm I'm just sitting by myself. I'm finding it so hard not to eat out of boredom and keep feeling like I should just give up and eat over my set amount of calories. Is anyone else struggling with loosing weight and doing it alone?

Build model airplanes.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Yep! :D
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

that is what I was thinking!!
  • TheKeithEllis
    TheKeithEllis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I concur that this would be a perfect time to get some movement in; home workout DVDs, or 'games' if you have an Xbox or similar... What are your interests?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I will sixth or seventh the suggestion to work out at that time. Especially if working out in the evening will make your morning schedule easier.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    This would be an ideal time to do some exercise, workout DVD's, Yoga, Pilates, stretching etc. You could then save some cals for a post exercise snack. That or take up a hobby which keeps your hand and head busy, knitting, writing, whatever you want. If all else fails give yourself a facial or a manicure or a long hot bath... learn to love your time with YOU!
  • Selah722
    Selah722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I tend to get tomorrows meals ready when I'm bored and find myself in the kitchen in the evening. It gives me something to do when I'm already thinking about food and calories and gives me a jumpstart on the next day. I pack what I'm going to eat at work and log it for the next day. That way I know how many calories I can have when I get home and can mentally plan supper for my hubby a whole day ahead (which is great when it takes a whole day to thaw something out in the fridge.) Not saying that ALWAYS keeps me from munching, but its something you can do when you don't want to be active,bored, or go over your limit.