Making a Home Gym

So, I never seem to make it to the gym. I think I have enough at home tools to do this without a gym membership. I'm on a tight budget so cancelling my gym membership will help a lot. I really can't be spending money on something I never use. Here's what I have so far, I'm looking for suggestions for CHEAP or preferably FREE things I can add to this list.

Elliptical (found a buddy getting rid of his so I'm taking it for free)
Ab Machine (not sure exactly what kind, it's my roommates but he said I can use it)
P90X DVDs
Doorway Pull-Up Bar
Gallon Jugs Filled with Water (Until I can afford a real set of weights)
Jump Rope

I think I know where I can get a set of kettle bells for cheap. Any other suggestions? I'm also trying to get in the habit of walking during breaks at work (when weather permits) and going for a couple mile hike at least once a week.

Thanks for your help. :)

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    What's your goal? Build muscle or lose weight?
  • Initially I want to lose weight. I'm at 225 right now. But I also want to tone up and be strong. I've run a couple 5K obstacle courses and would like to do more of those in the future, so overall fitness is my end goal. So for the time being, my goal is to lose weight so it's easier for me to run (I have exercise induced asthma so the extra weight makes that a lot worse), and eventually I'll switch my focus to building strength.