Got a mean look at the gym? Gym ettiquette?

Options
So, I went to the gym at my local YMCA for the first time earlier (I had just been doing my exercise from home before, but I felt like shaking it up). I get on the little stair stepping thing... I don't know what it's called... I turn on my audiobook, and then I start. About 20 minutes into my workout, this one older dude finished his and then went to go talk to a friend of his. While he walked past, he just shot me a really mean look. Are there some gym etiquette rules that I was unknowingly breaking? Or is he either just not very nice or I am I making something out of nothing?

Replies

• KatieLK14
    KatieLK14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I know some gyms have a "sign up" sheet for cardio machines...but I don't think that was his issue. I go to my local YMCA to workout and haven't experienced a sign up sheet there! He probably just has resting *kitten* face, don't worry about it!
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am I making something out of nothing? Yes.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Were you wearing headphones or playing the audio book out loud?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you are over thinking it ….
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Did you wear deodorant ?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I think he was just a crankster
  • DucklingPrincess
    DucklingPrincess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was wearing headphones, and yes, I wore deodorant. Maybe sound was bleeding out of the headphones or something?
  • adamgoleafs87
    adamgoleafs87 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Overthinking it. Could of been absolutely nothing at all.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I know some gyms have a time limit on the amount of time you can use a machine - it doesn't sound like you were on that long but is it possible that they have one and you just were not aware of it? If that isn't it then my guess is the guy is just a jerk. And my guess he is just a jerk.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Then who knows. He may be at home right now telling his wife about the pink haired girl who stared him down at the gym today. Or maybe he was squinting while trying to remember what he wanted to do next and happened to look your way while doing it. There's no way of knowing. I'd just forget about it.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Overthinking. I know I've got a pretty mean resting b**** face but it's just the focus - one quick joke and I'm laughing
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Overthinking. I know I've got a pretty mean resting b**** face but it's just the focus - one quick joke and I'm laughing

yea, I am sure people have confused my "concentration look" with my "death stare" look….
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Probably constipation...
  • DucklingPrincess
    DucklingPrincess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know some gyms have a time limit on the amount of time you can use a machine - it doesn't sound like you were on that long but is it possible that they have one and you just were not aware of it? If that isn't it then my guess is the guy is just a jerk. And my guess he is just a jerk.

They are timed, but the time is shown on the machine... I had only been on for about twenty minutes, and they give you half an hour.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Probably constipation...

this....and/or next time you see him you could just ask. It has been known to work on dismissing the unknown. . .

• redoakcircus
    Options
    My guess would be that he had an opinion about the color of your hair. Don't worry about it. Just do your thing.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Ask him if you can help him with something
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Maybe he had indigestion.
  • sparky00721
    sparky00721 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Was the guy who gave you the dirty look Inigo Montoya? And had you killed his father? If so, that would explain it, but otherwise I got nothing.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    is it only at the gym where people spend so much time trying to analyze the thoughts of random strangers or do people do the same thing at like, Subway too?