What's wrong with protein shakes during maintenance?

Options
My trainer seems to be against the idea of me consuming 2 protein shakes during maintenance.

Thing is, I only get a total of 60g out of my required 100g through my 3 meals. I prefer to snack on fruit (if I snack at all, I generally don't because it leads to a mindless eating thing for me).

Is there some reason why I shouldn't supplement with whey at maintenance?

Replies

• harbringer
    harbringer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well, whey protein has a tendency to spike insulin. Nor does it contain any fiber. If you can, eat actual food. Otherwise, you might want to mix it with fat/fibers to spike insulin less. Flax, oats, cocnut milk, cinnamon, whatever you prefer.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What reasoning did he give?
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options

He didn't.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »

He didn't.

As in, you didn't ask him, or you asked him and he didn't give a reason?
  • Leana088
    Options
    harbringer wrote: »
    Well, whey protein has a tendency to spike insulin. Nor does it contain any fiber. If you can, eat actual food. Otherwise, you might want to mix it with fat/fibers to spike insulin less. Flax, oats, cocnut milk, cinnamon, whatever you prefer.

Insulin doesn't bother me. I've never noticed food cravings or whatever after drinking a shake.
  • Leana088
    Options

He didn't.

As in, you didn't ask him, or you asked him and he didn't give a reason?

I generally try my best not to talk to him about my diet. He's on the low-carb fad wagon. But sometimes he'll ask me and I'll let something slip.

So, I didn't ask him, for fear of being intoxicated with bro-science. I kind of know there's nothing wrong with it, I'm just interested in the "theory" behind this, since its the first time I've heard of it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If there's a good reason I'm not aware of it-- I would wonder about adherence since 2 shakes per day sounds like a lot to me. But I've been in maintenance for 2 years and I regularly consume whey, usually in the form of protein bars. So far nothing disastrous has happened.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's just a liquid food that is high in protein - seems silly to exclude it.
    Possibly better to get more protein from your food and less from a supplement but overall it's more important to hit your goal.
  • Leana088
    Options
    He doesn't seem to be worried about me supplementing with it now, while losing, just with maintenance for some reason. Wondering what's the difference between now and then? :confused:
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    He doesn't seem to be worried about me supplementing with it now, while losing, just with maintenance for some reason. Wondering what's the difference between now and then? :confused:

Adequate protein is more important when losing but that would (possibly) be a reason to change your goal not to change how you hit your goal.
    But as you will have more calories to play with anyway it seems rather odd.
    BTW - my minimum protein goal remained the same when losing as when maintaining.

All I can think is that he is wondering if it's sustainable for you to supplement long term as opposed to short term during your weight loss phase - but that's just a guess.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need protein shakes daily? Most people do not use them as part of their diet, so what is your reasoning? Is there something missing in your diet, do you have special diet needs for whatever reason?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    While I cannot know your trainer's reasoning, and while what I am going to post is not going to be popular with bodybuilders, it explains risks associated with protein supplements:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Pharmacy/Pages/Body-building-and-sports-supplements-the-dangers.aspx
    The recommendation for daily protein intake here is btw much lowere than your goals, with an analysis of long term risks of a high protein intake
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I have also noticed my protein levels have been substantially below the mfp recommendation. I sometimes now use whey protein because too little protein is detrimental when trying to loose weight, it makes muscle loss more probably. Possibly when one starts to maintain as one increases your daily calories there is more scope for protein in ones general diet.
  • saruuhm
    saruuhm Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It's better to reach your protein goal from real foods, not powders. Whey protein will digest differently than say a piece of chicken, whey is a quick absorbing protein, which is way it's what you take after you workout. I don't think having two scoops of whey could do a lot of harm though, I personally only have one scoop of whey a day because I sometimes have to snack on a quest bar. I'm not sure why your trainer is totally against it, maybe ask him for some suggestions on how to reach your protein goal!