Drastic Drop in Weight!! Advice??

Options
I have been averaging 3 pounds a week for the last two weeks which is A LOT for me. I have been averaging .5-1 pound the last two months or so. I have upped my calories by 250 (prior to the 6 pound loss). I have only had time to work out twice in the last two weeks as a result of work and school.

I am just getting nervous that I am loosing muscle since I am not working out. I am 5'1.5 and this morning 178.8lbs and eat around 1450 calories a day (the last week I have been snacking and not logging so I have probably hit closer to 1700 :neutral_face: )

Just looking for any guidance from people out there if I should be concerned? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nope, well within normal fluctuation. If you haven't been working out for a few weeks it could be normal loss due to the loss of exercise induced swelling.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    you would not be losing muscle that fast unless there is something seriously wrong (like you would be in the hospital kind of seriously wrong)

lots of people who work out consistantly and take a break experience a drop, guessing its a water weight thing but I don't have a super specific sciency answer for you, but I think its due to the change in your routine

• juicebabe2014
    Options
    Hi Kam, if your seriously worried, how about looking for a nutritionist? I'm defiantly losing weight too fast and need to add more food into my meals. Yesterday I consumed 2383 calories and still lost weight. I'm hardly eating much fat and cycle 10 miles (outdoors and indoors on spin bike) each day. I joined a facebook group and now a bit addicted to competition with the other group members. Its called "50 miles a month" walk, jog, run, cycle or swim. I've also started my own facebook page and using it as a diary. Your welcome to like if you want.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Fitness-Journey/1598391783706236?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

what should you be eating if you where not doing any exercise? I think mine is 1600 calories. I'm 5,7 and i'm 41. My maxium weight was 14 stone when I was 25. I've been lucky a guess as my height hid my weight issue for many years. I've gradually made small changes and have got to where I am now. But my main problem is making sure I'm eating right to keep my body fit and toned. It sounds weird, but I don't want too lose too much and get skinny. I just want to be healthy :smile:
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing a great job. Just keep up your calorie deficit. Try & get in some more cardio. It's certainly not essential to your weight loss but it gets you there quicker :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Awesome work! It will stable off.
  • kamack1215
    kamack1215 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the feedback!

If I want to maintain I am supposed to eat 1900cals a day according to MFP.

I did look into a nutritionist by unfortunately my health plan does not cover a private one and I cannot afford the $120 an hour rate they charge here. I am on the wait list to go see a nutritionist at the hospital but because there are so many people in front of me who a higher priority my doctor told me the wait is over 6 months :/ I am trying to do as much research on the internet but it can be very misleading!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think the loss is not in the alarming category especially if you aren't nauseous or off your food. Enjoy the ride because your weight loss will slow down eventually.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Based on height and weight and what you had been averaging, I don't think it is that alarming for two weeks. If you keep trending at -3 for another two weeks I'd at least call the doctor.

Since you mentioned upping your calories I am going to assume you aren't drastically under eating and seeing this loss. Don't freak out if the scale goes back up a little in the next two weeks. You are looking for a downward trend over time. But if the scale goes back to your .5-1 drops and you keep these 6 pounds off and don't feel sick or weak, etc. Then I personally wouldn't worry about it!