Half Marathon training

Options
I have my first half marathon in June. Training from more or less a complete beginner. I am currently up to 8 mile in my long run and also do a recovery run and a short fast tempo run. My long run pace is around 12 mins 30 per min/mile.
So I'm quite slow but have gone from 2 miles to 8 in last 9 weeks.

I have been advised to Foret distance now and work on speed to get faster then carry on with distance nearer the time.
However my plan was to continue with what I am doing and I should be up to my correct mileage with a month to spare. Then work on speed with also added days throughout that time.

Should I continue to plan or keep at 8 miles for a few weeks and work on speed??

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    its your first half, just worry about finishing, plenty of chances to set new PRs in the future
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    jb290978 wrote: »
    I have been advised to Foret distance now and work on speed to get faster then carry on with distance nearer the time.

I would disagree with that. If you can't run the distance it doesn't help you to run the first 60% fast and then burn out.

Concentrate on finishing the distance.
  • akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Congrats! We're in the same boat... I'm also training for my first half on June 6th! I am a fairly new runner as well... I ran a little bit last summer but then stopped, then started with the Couch to 5k at the end of October. I also am up to 8 miles :-)

I'm not an expert, but I agree with what the poster above is saying. For my first half, I am more concerned with finishing (and running the entire time) than my time. I am a bit faster than you but still on the slower end (about 10.5-11 minute miles on my long runs), but that's still plenty of time for me to finish the half within the time limit they have imposed (I think it's 3.5 hours).

I also think that you can keep increasing your long run each week while doing a bit of speed work during your shorter runs during the week. You're supposed to do a slower/easier pace during your long runs anyway. I personally am faster during my shorter runs.

Good luck!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Work on distance the speed will increase as your distance does. Also if your eating at a calorie deficit your speed will increase also as the weight comes off.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Work up to 11 miles for your long runs then worry about speed if you want to. 11 miles will carry you to the end on race day, and you won't really care about your speed if it's your first one.

Good luck!
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Yes... Distance first. You need to work on your endurance, not speed at this point.

Also, speed will come all by itself the more you run.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Definitely continue with your plan. Like others have said, speed will come with distance, but I think it's more important to get the miles under your feet than to go faster. Good luck and have fun! I did my first half in November and I can't wait for the next one!
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. First half marathon on May 19. My long runs are at 10 miles but I am at a 12 min mile pace. I worry about being too slow but my goal is to finish and not be last. I started running last August. I am not athletic at all. Through this app and fitbit, I have lost 40 lbs. I maybe slow but I do it! After the half, I am really going to work on speed. My goal is to run a 10 min mile. By the way, I am a 49 female who has never played any sports.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Agree. Forget speed for now. Work on distance. Speed will come.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the others - work on the distance first. As you get used to the distances, your speed will get better. Save speed work for when you are training for your second half marathon! ;)
  • Grumbers
    Grumbers Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I trained up to about 11 miles before my first half and knew I could do that comfortably. Combined with the support and buzz of the day, you'll be fine. I'm confident anyone who can run a 10km can run a half marathon. To me it's 90% in the head from that point on.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    dlr165 wrote: »
    I am in the same boat. First half marathon on May 19. My long runs are at 10 miles but I am at a 12 min mile pace. I worry about being too slow but my goal is to finish and not be last. I started running last August. I am not athletic at all. Through this app and fitbit, I have lost 40 lbs. I maybe slow but I do it! After the half, I am really going to work on speed. My goal is to run a 10 min mile. By the way, I am a 49 female who has never played any sports.

dont worry, did my first one last fall, avg pace about 14 min mile, I was not the last one on that course (by quite a few people actually), all that matters is you finish smiling :)

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I agree with many above--get the distance in, and the speed will come. I made a point in getting to 13.1 miles for my long run, but many articles I read said that as long as you can get to a sustainable 12 you should be able to finish. And there's no reason you can't play with speed on your short runs--I trained over the summer and sometimes it was just too hot to run steadily, so I would run for 2 minutes, walk for 1 just to help me through--that helped me increase my speed overall.

Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    many professional triathletes have done really well in short fast olympic distance courses, and have done even better when they switched to iron man courses. the reason is because they have developed that speed over years of training and racing. when they go to the iron distance races, they do well because they already have that speed, and building up their endurance is "easier."

but they already have that speed over the course of a "short" course race that is a mile swim, 24 mile bike ride, and 6.2 mile run. and they're guys that have started doing this in their teens, not their mid thirties.

for your first half marathon, i'd definitely recommend building that base.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Grumbers wrote: »
    I trained up to about 11 miles before my first half and knew I could do that comfortably. Combined with the support and buzz of the day, you'll be fine. I'm confident anyone who can run a 10km can run a half marathon. To me it's 90% in the head from that point on.

I totally disagree. There is a big difference in running 6.2 miles and running 13.1 miles.

You are in for one miserable experience if you don't ever train over 10km ...
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    jb290978 wrote: »

To echo others - this is a bad idea.

Speed comes later. Work on endurance.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

I will agree with you on the point that it is mental and that anyone that can run 10k can run 22k.... but ONLY if you train. If you never train past 10k you won't make it to 22. That said, yes if you can run a 10k a half marathon is well within your grasp assuming you train for it.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I totally disagree. There is a big difference in running 6.2 miles and running 13.1 miles.

I think he's saying if you can run a 10k you can potentially run a half marathon - that you have what it takes. He personally trained up to 11 miles. ;)

I know I've personally said, if you can run a half, you can run a full... and by that I mean you have the potential. Not that you should train for a half and sign up for a full. :)

• arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    OP, I agree with everyone else, just focus on miles and the distance. The more miles you run and weight you lose (if you have any to lose), the faster you will naturally get. Once you've successfully finished your half, then maybe assess your time and goals and play with speed a couple times per week. I love running intervals of all kinds (200, 400, 800, etc) as well as a tempo run. I've seen some real improvement in my speed, but only because I have been running 20-30 mpw for several months and built the cardio endurance to sustain the speed workouts.

After my most recent half in Jan, I decided to build on the mileage to drop down for an intense 5k training cycle and am seeing some huge gains in my speed. I used to be a 10-min/mile runner and am hoping to average under an 8-min/mile page for this Sunday's race. :) I then will go back into a half marathon training cycle and hope to PR that distance, too.

Good luck OP - I think it will be an amazing experience for you!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I'd suspect it's more about have the totential to, subject to training for it.

I know for my first HM the plan had me at 12 miles before the race. whilst it was a trail race, so somewhat more draining than a road race, that last mile was really hard work. Not helped by being uphill, and having suffered ITB pain for the previous six miles.