600-700 a day diet ?

Options

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Of course it will help you lose faster. Until you realize you hate life because you're making yourself miserable by starving yourself, and gain every single pound back very quickly. Why not just do it the right way?
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Thanks for input guys !
    Daft question but i calculated my bmr 1611 does this mean I should aim for that number or below , I know mfp doesn't support low cal diets I just wanted fellow dieters input as to whether me consuming more or staying on 700 would help me loose more .

Find out what your TDEE and eat between your BMR and TDEE. Your should be netting your BMR each day or as close to it as possible.

Don't try to lose too quickly. Too quick and it increases muscle loss, hair loss, saggy skin, etc.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    You almost definitely don't have enough body fat to do such a low calorie diet. You probably aren't going to get enough vitamins and nutrients to feel good either--especially if you aren't under medical supervision (and there probably isn't a doctor who would recommend you do this. Such low cal diets are reserved for morbidly obese people). Eat more, eat healthily, keep a decent deficit and you will lose weight. Try at least 1200 calories and see how that fares for you before changing up your calories.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I actually just saw this article this morning. Jen Comas Keck is a great trainer I have a lot of respect for.

"Anybody can get lean on 600-900 calories per day, or by consuming protein only. But here is an important question for his clients: how do they feel? Also, what happened to their body composition once they finally got lean, and tried to introduce more food because they felt like they might actually die subsisting on his ridiculous plan?"
    http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/05/30/how-your-diet-coach-is-ruining-your-metabolism/
  • paigerade
    paigerade Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't think its a good idea because you likely won't be able to maintain such a low calorie diet for long. Of course you will lose weight eating by so little, but if you are anything like me you will probably get burnt out of hardly eating and eventually sabotage all of your efforts. I suggest coming up with a lifestyle change that you could potentially maintain for the rest of your life. I am short like you and small framed, so I am able to feel great, still have energy to work out, and lose weight by eating 1200 calories a day.

Don't starve yourself, just fill up on fruits and veggies, cut down on portions of unhealthy foods, and move more and I promise you will see results.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks for input guys !
    Daft question but i calculated my bmr 1611 does this mean I should aim for that number or below , I know mfp doesn't support low cal diets I just wanted fellow dieters input as to whether me consuming more or staying on 700 would help me loose more .

MFP will calculate your BMR when you start based on your stats, then suggest a caloric intake. The caloric intake they give you has a deficit built in based on the amount of weight you want to lose per week. You don't need to add a deficit on top of a deficit.
  • aTallLiam
    aTallLiam Posts: 75
    Options
    Hmm, I think that is too few calories. Just go with the caloric intake MFP suggested :smile:
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    the "dr's" are out in force again today....

still love to know where the magic 1200 comes from..

i advocate lifestyle change instead of diet, but... thats personal prefference not science,

science says calories in vs calories out ...

the rest is purely opinion
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I eat between 700-1000 cal a day. But I have been eating like that since I was a kid. I'm 5,4 and 105-110. I'm also a competitive swimmer and a varsity badminton player. But everyone's different. I have a really small and light bone structure. My doctor gave me the approval to eat what I eat currently because of my body structure and how it functions. I think you should get a check up and ask your doctor first before changing your diet drastically.

You should get a new doctor.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Thanks for input guys !

MFP will calculate your BMR when you start based on your stats, then suggest a caloric intake. The caloric intake they give you has a deficit built in based on the amount of weight you want to lose per week. You don't need to add a deficit on top of a deficit.

^This
  • qingc
    qingc Posts: 9
    Options
    I eat between 700-1000 cal a day. But I have been eating like that since I was a kid. I'm 5,4 and 105-110. I'm also a competitive swimmer and a varsity badminton player. But everyone's different. I have a really small and light bone structure. My doctor gave me the approval to eat what I eat currently because of my body structure and how it functions. I think you should get a check up and ask your doctor first before changing your diet drastically.

I would suggest finding a new doctor. 700-1000 calories a day is not good for a sedentary person let alone one that exercises. You cannot get proper nutrition.

? A lot of Asians are my weight/height and they live to be over 80 with no health problems. My grandmother is 5.5 and 110. She is 86 and she does not have high blood pressure/diabetes whatsoever. She does tai-chi and swimming every morning still at her age. My great-grandmother lived until 92. Like I said, it totally depends on understanding YOUR OWN body. What works for me may not work for you.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

that bone structure is probably getting lighter by the day.

lowest BMR recorded in scientific study was 1050. I would find it highly irregular that you could eat 700-1000 as maintenance.

second opinion wouldn't hurt.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    hair loss, poor diet, toe nails popping off(okay I made this up), you cannabalizing your body(one of my favorites)--

First, read about TDEE, caloric deficits, MACROS, eating the P and F of MACROS as your daily minimums muscle versus fat

Second, read some more about TDEE, the various ways to measure caloric needs of your body, proper exercise, maintenance

Third, your toe nails can pop off--if you run quite a bit--like a badge of running 'honor' for some folks

Fourth, read some more about the above items.

Fifth, did I mention read about the above items?
  • Pnuke77
    Pnuke77 Posts: 23
    Options

Competitive swimmer and you're only getting up to a 1000 cals a day? My roommate in college was a swimmer and he was burning 2000 a day just at practice. He ate like a horse and still had problems keeping weight on.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to die and if you keep with it you'll totally loose weight, but it's not a sustainable lifestyle improvement. You don't really have that much to loose, if you do it the easy way (eating right w/ a reasonable calorie deficit and exercising) you'll be much better off. I think most of us on here have lost weight by essentially starving themselves and have seen all the weight (plus some) come back with a vengeance, but maybe you have to learn the hard way (I know I did!)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Thanks for input guys !

^^^This. Use MFP's number if you are just getting started.
  • jmfgolfer1216
    Options

that bone structure is probably getting lighter by the day.

lowest BMR recorded in scientific study was 1050. I would find it highly irregular that you could eat 700-1000 as maintenance.

second opinion wouldn't hurt.
    Especially with all the exercise you're getting....hope that calorie count is NET.
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    Hi I am new to this and I haven't tried many diets before I'm worried about people talking about starvation mode and if this will stop my weight loss I am aiming at eating 600-700 cal per day through soups fruits and shakes which I considered to be healthy I'm 5'3 and 180lb so I am aiming at a 30-40lb loss . How many of you have tired these low cal diets are they best for me loose fast or is it best to up calorie intake to loose faster if so how much any suggestions would be appreciated guys thanks

Please spend a few nights and read all of this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/983158-all-in-one-info-page-halp

everyone is right you need to at least eat your bmr to power your body to lose. I lost 7 inches in one month lifting heavy and eating 1800 to 2000 cals
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    You will lose fast eating so little but it won't be fat loss. It will mainly be muscle loss. You aren't eating enough to fuel your body at rest (your heart, lungs, other organs take calories to run). Eating so little will not allow you to get proper nutrition in. Eating so little will make it so much harder to lose eventually and make it nearly impossible to maintain.

Research BMR and TDEE. Eat between those two numbers. Eating your plan of 600-700 cals through soups, shakes and fruit will lead to muscle loss, health issues, hair loss, and a lot of other issues.

Depends on how much fat you have on you.
    Obese eating at or near a 50% calorie deficit burn fat first.
    Lean eating at or near a 50% calorie deficit burn lean muscle.
    In addition to the toll it will take on your body internally, you will have absolutely no energy. It will affect your moods and your emotions, and the likelihood you will gain the weight back when you begin to eat normally again is somewhere near 100%.

Aim for a lifestyle change, not a diet. Make healthier choices that will educate you and make you more aware of the nutritional content of the food you come into contact with, and you'll be able to take the weight off slowly-- and healthily!-- and then keep it off through good habits and smart choices!

I just started eating a 900-1000 calorie diet last week. My stress was unbelievable before, so my hair was falling out. In the past week, I have eaten less, had more energy for my workouts (treadmill, elliptical, Jacobs ladder, boxing) than before, my hair loss has been less, and my mood and energy are just fine. I'm sure someone will say "but it's only been a week- wait for the long term!" - but it's working for me right now.
    Oh you're going to wish you hadn't posted that. This is not the site for a very low-cal diet. MFP will not advise you to eat any less than 1,200kcal.
    Pretty much. Going below 1200 stirs up a mob frenzy on MFP. I understand... I use to agree with it myself.
    LOL, but you can't be an outlier and not fit into the rules!!! That just isn't right! :tongue: It's nice to hear someone say they don't fit into the norm and are maintaining a healthy life.
    the "dr's" are out in force again today....

still love to know where the magic 1200 comes from..

i advocate lifestyle change instead of diet, but... thats personal prefference not science,

science says calories in vs calories out ...

the rest is purely opinion
    Agreed. Everyone is an expert. Soon they'll be pulling out their links to articles that can be refuted with links to other articles. Look at the news -- one month coffee is bad for you and will heighten your risk of cancer, the next month coffee is good for you and will help mitigate strokes.

The numbers don't lie. Eat at a deficit and your body should shed weight. The amount of weight depends on the deficit. How quickly you lose it and your proclivity to gain it back are based on the dieting/eating styles you maintain.
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

I would suggest finding a new doctor. 700-1000 calories a day is not good for a sedentary person let alone one that exercises. You cannot get proper nutrition.
This discussion has been closed.