Why am I not losing weight

Options
hello I'm 50yrs old and need to lose about 80 lbs. I have been using MFP for a little over a month now and stay under my calorie goals at least by 20 minimum sometimes more but I'm not losing weight! I have lost 2-4 lbs its keeps changing, yes sometimes the scale goes up! What the heck am I doing wrong?? Someone help please

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary please?
  • mommymissy82
    mommymissy82 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Your not in a deficit....are you weighing everything?
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food. If not, you could be eating more calories than you think. The bottom line is you have to burn off more calories than you take in to lose weight.
  • tammyjo50
    tammyjo50 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just made my diary public...
  • tammyjo50
    Options
    vada44 wrote: »
    Are you weighing your food. If not, you could be eating more calories than you think. The bottom line is you have to burn off more calories than you take in to lose weight.

No I don't weigh but I do use measuring cups and I know about using my palm size for meat...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    tammyjo50 wrote: »

No I don't weigh but I do use measuring cups and I know about using my palm size for meat...

You need to use a food scale.

watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What do you weigh now compared to what you weighed 30 days ago? The fluctuations are maddening sometimes, but if the trend is downward then you're doing just fine.

If its downward but not as much as you like, or if its not a downward trend, then you can improve your logging accuracy with a food scale. Cups for solid food = not accurate.
    hello I'm 50yrs old and need to lose about 80 lbs. I have been using MFP for a little over a month now and stay under my calorie goals at least by 20 minimum sometimes more but I'm not losing weight! I have lost 2-4 lbs its keeps changing, yes sometimes the scale goes up! What the heck am I doing wrong?? Someone help please

• tammyjo50
    Options
    It is I have down down about 4lbs well actually today the scale said I am up 2 lbs!!! I feel like I'm losing but the scale says other and I honestly don't know why it shows I'm gaining
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Please weigh your food. You are overestimating what you're eating. I was doing the same thing when I first started losing. It can be hundreds of calories that you're not accounting for and that can really mess you up.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It is I have down down about 4lbs well actually today the scale said I am up 2 lbs!!! I feel like I'm losing but the scale says other and I honestly don't know why it shows I'm gaining

Scales are jerks. Your body weight is going to flucuate due to water or pms. Weight loss isn't linear. You'll lose 5lbs, gain 2. Lose 1 lb, gain 1lb, etc. Just make sure, in general, the numbers are going down. Also start taking measurements.
  • ryry2169
    ryry2169 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Focus on your food intake and weigh your food; 90% of what your put in shows your result.
  • skybried
    skybried Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Scales are not a good prediction of weight lost. Considering if you are lifting u can out on muscle which weighs more. Do u feel better? Are Ur clothes more comfortable on ur body? Look at ur skin, are u drinking lots of wAter? Just consider how much of a lifestyle change u have made, it's more than just calories! Ur looking to lose a significant amount of weight and you can absolutely do it! But put that scale in a closet far away, and just keep going. They are way too discouraging to keep around! :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    skybried wrote: »
    Scales are not a good prediction of weight lost. Considering if you are lifting u can out on muscle which weighs more. Do u feel better? Are Ur clothes more comfortable on ur body? Look at ur skin, are u drinking lots of wAter? Just consider how much of a lifestyle change u have made, it's more than just calories! Ur looking to lose a significant amount of weight and you can absolutely do it! But put that scale in a closet far away, and just keep going. They are way too discouraging to keep around! :)

Other than newbie gains, one does not gain muscle in a calorie deficit.

OP, pick up a food scale and start using it. It's very eye-opening to see how wrong many of us think portion sizes are.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP for a little over a month now...I have lost 2-4 lbs ...

Two to four pounds per month is very acceptable.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates. Here's a trend diagram where I weighed myself daily for a while.
    JKTrendWeight.JPG

As you can see, weight can fluctuate as much as five pounds in one day! That's not fat loss. That's other things going on, and I've found I get a spike once a month with a steady drop right after.

I don't bother weighing daily any more. I follow my trend line instead, and try not to take a single day's reading too seriously.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it will go up and the culprit is water weight. Common causes: hormones/stress/sodium/lack of sleep/new workout routine or increased intensity in your workout routine/eating a high # of carbs when you are not accustomed to it lately. Water weight is temporary - which is why I asked you to compare now to a month ago. Looking at your weight trend over time helps you see past the water weight fluctuations.

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You need to weigh your foods. Get a digital scale.

However, as someone else said, losing 2 to 4 pounds in a month is good. I bet it would be higher if you weighed your food....but realistically you are looking at a max of 4-8 pounds per month loss. Slow steady loss is where it is at for long term success.
  • fitkoc
    fitkoc Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I know exactly how you feel, keep going, it took this long to put the weight on, won't be easy to get rid of, i'm buying a scale shortly as well, shocking the overages in calories you can't see. my body aches everyday from weight training, my feet hurt from all the walking, this is a good community to work with, they are awesome and you can learn lots from the forums
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

I remember hearing a piece of meat the size of your palm is 3 oz. But think about it:

My daughter is 4'10" tall. Brother-in-law is 6'6" tall. How can both of their palms be representative of 3 oz of meat?

If you're using your palm to measure, you really have no idea how much you're eating.

Get a scale.
  • tammyjo50
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies and confidence building words... I do feel a little better and I tell myself that I look a little better but it's that darn scale that brings me down! Lol!! I do have a scale just thought that if I was calorie counting then I wouldn't need it but I guess if I am serious about losing the weight I will start using it again. Thanks again everyone and good luck to all on the journey!!