Do I need to mix up foods more?

Options
tlw7
tlw7 Posts: 41 Member
Ive done so great for the last month. Under my calorie goal every day(even if it's only by a couple of cals), and I'm busting my tail doing at home crossfit workouts (push-ups, lunges, burpees, squats, etc) along with some running. I eat pretty much the same thing everyday. Dinner will be different but everything else is abt the same. I have a 3 yr and 16 mo old..same foods are easy to grab and track. I'm 5'8" weigh 152-154. I haven't dropped any weight pretty much since I got my eating on track. Would mixing in some different foods change anything? I do get chickfila usually once a week and always seem to be down the next day (even tho I'm still under my cals for the day.) What do yall think?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    For now, it is o.k. to keep breakfast and lunch the same and have some variety in your dinners.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If you are eating enough variety to cover your nutritional needs, then I can't think why it would be a problem. If you don't like/want to eat much variety, a multi-vitamin might be good to cover any gaps.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing then you are not eating at a deficit. Are you weighing your food and logging it? How are you logging your workouts?

Mixing up foods won't help weight loss unless you mix it up and start eating at a deficit. I favor mixing up food because it teaches you how to eat variety and lose weight, which will help you learn how to eat variety once you reach your goal weight. Idk about you, but I don't plan on eating the same three meals every day for the rest of my life!

Also just make sure you are hitting a good macro balance and aren't missing any key nutrients.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    If you aren't losing then you are not eating at a deficit.

This is true in the long term, but not necessarily in the short term.

OP, you don't say how long you've been doing crossfit, but if you've recently started exercising or have increased exercise intensity it's normal not to lose for a weeks or even a few weeks because your body is retaining water.
  • tlw7
    Options
    I weigh and measure all my food. Started working out again mid january. Had been training and ran a marathon in january. And I'm always running/working out. Sometimes I take a break from the workouts. So training isn't new to me. According to mfp - I should be at a deficit. Just confused and frustrated. My husband does pushups a blend recently started tracking food - and he's gradually losing. I'm working way harder..and I'm not getting anywhere.

I also have a trip at the end of June w some of his work people..my goal is to be lean toned and finally feel comfortable in and bathing suit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    tlw7 wrote: »
    I weigh and measure all my food. Started working out again mid january. Had been training and ran a marathon in january. And I'm always running/working out. Sometimes I take a break from the workouts. So training isn't new to me. According to mfp - I should be at a deficit. Just confused and frustrated. My husband does pushups a blend recently started tracking food - and he's gradually losing. I'm working way harder..and I'm not getting anywhere.

I also have a trip at the end of June w some of his work people..my goal is to be lean toned and finally feel comfortable in and bathing suit.

Have you recently taken a break from workouts and then restarted. That could also mean water weight gain.

If you really can't find a reason for not losing, then I'd suggest talking to your doctor. There are medical problems that can affect weight loss.
  • robinkelly25
    robinkelly25 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Remember the scale doesn't tell the whole truth. You could be losing fat and gaining muscle, this is the reason the scale hasn't moved.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Remember the scale doesn't tell the whole truth. You could be losing fat and gaining muscle, this is the reason the scale hasn't moved.

she could be losing fat but wont gain much muscle in a deficit for it to show on a scale. muscle has to be gained mainly through a caloric surplus and then for a woman to gain muscle it can take quite awhile(we gain it slower than men,and again it wont happen in a deficit). men will lose weight a lot quicker most of the time due to having more muscle mass than women,therefore the more lean muscle you have the more calories you burn.give it time and Im sure the scale will move. your body could be telling you that you are in a healthy weight range and therefore you will lose much slower the less weight you have to lose. But like others said could be water weight,could be a health issue,etc.

• tlw7
    Options
    I know I'm in better shape and stronger but I don't think muscle is built that fast esp when you aren't using weights. Wish my body would just start to show some changes so I'd feel better abt my process.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you really need to make sure you are weighing everything, including stuff you may grab from your kids (cause most moms do it - at least i did and everyone i know did!LOL)

take your measurements, its possible your body is 'recalculating' and you are getting smaller, but the weight is remaining the same (for now).

and if youre happy eating the same thing every day i guess theres nothing wrong with it but that would be torture to me LOL!
  • IFBBRich
    IFBBRich Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. However it is very hard to gain muscle while eating at a deficit, but if you are knew to crossfit then you can make gains if your body is not used to it. They are called newby gains. So it can happen

• tlw7
    Options
    I actually do weigh and count everything. I don't snack on my kids snacks. .one animal cracker can lead to a bowl full so I just don't do it. And i like to eat similar foods bc it takes the thought out of what I can eat since I'm so busy. My measurements were down a little the other day so hopefully they keep getting smaller!