Chiropractors...Your Experience-Good or Bad?

Options
13»

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor damaged my vertebral artery after a neck adjustment causing me to have a massive basilar artery stroke infront of my kids (4,3) I was completely paralyzed and aphasyc, requiring an airlift (but had to be driven!) to Toronto Western where I spent the next few weeks having someone wipe my *kitten* and feed me. Later I had to relearn how to walk and speach miraculously came back to me fairly quickly. So, yeah they are great. If they don't kill you. I would see an osteopath instead. Definitely don't let them adjust your neck.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Here is food for thought: I love my personal chiropractor, AND I love my husband who happens to be a chiropractor. They are not the same person. I agree with many of the statements here that argue you need to find what is best for you individually. Being married to a chiropractor has shown me a whole different side to the profession.

My husband has a science undergrad degree, plus his 4 years of chiropractic schooling. All of the schooling happened before he completed his internships and chiropractic rotations. He took 4 different national board examinations and is required to attend yearly conferences to keep his license and practice current. Depending on the state, he is trained and licensed to draw blood, deliver children, and pronounce death. One main difference between his schooling and that of a medical doctor is that he is NOT qualified in any state to prescribe medicine. While there are other differences, I am not trying to say that the profession is that same, but that he is qualified to diagnosis and treat patients, and should be considered an authority in his field.

He practices using an integrative approach, meaning that he works in an office with other medical practitioners such as physical therapists, nutritionists, naturopathic doctors, and medical doctors. The focus in his office is the overall health and well being of the patient. My husband does not hesitate to recommend a different course of treatment (other than chiropractic) if it is what is best for the patient. So, back to the point that you really need to do what is best for you.

On the other hand, I have seen MANY, and been to a few chiropractors who are "philosophy based" in their chiropractic approach. My personal belief is that SOME of these doctors give the rest a bad reputation. A good chiropractor will address the concerns you have when you come in for an appointment, and not "sell" you on a long term treatment plan, or health education classes, or lecture you on the "evils" of modern medicine. I find these chiropractors to be flaky, and not very helpful in treating my issues and concerns.

But the main point here is that you must do what is best for you! Any course of treatment, whether medicine, chiropractic, physical therapy, or anything else will only work as long as you stick with it. Stop taking the medicine,and the cold comes back. Stop going to physical therapy or the chiropractor, and you will stop seeing results. So do what is best for you.