I'M GOING COO-COO ABOUT COCONUT OIL!!!

Options
OK, I am hearing sooooooo many conflicting stories relating to Coconut Oil. I incorporated a tablespoonful in my diet each day about a month ago because I heard about all its good benefits. Today, I read a story that says just the opposite, so my question is....should I add the tablespoonful to my Coffee or not!!! I can't seem to get a straight answer!!! What say ye? lol!! :s

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Does it fit your macros and do you enjoy it? I like cooking with it and adding a 1/2 teaspoon to my coffee to make it smooth and delicious. I also love using it on my skin. I had some really tough rough skin on my feet and tried tons of foot creams. Nothing helped until I tried coconut oil. I don't put too much confidence in any one study.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Do you like the taste? Does it, if you're trying to lose, allow you to stay within a calorie deficit and meet your macros? If so, do it!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    It is nothing special... if you enjoy it and you can fit it in your macros/calories, then go for it. I personally prefer it in my hair.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I don't use it. Too expensive. And it contributes nothing to my weight loss except a bunch of empty calories that don't fill me up, and that I could have spent on lean meat or vegetables or a small treat.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I tried the coconut oil for a couple weeks. It may have helped in the beginning with keeping me from eating too much/snacking or whatever. I don't use it anymore because I got tired of adding it to my tea every morning. I don't really think it helped much at all with my weight loss. However, I still use a tad bit when I make my eggs in the morning, or when I make popcorn. I also use it in my hair every now and then.
  • janetsalley
    janetsalley Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys....that's the info I've been looking for. They described it as being this super food that aids in weight loss. I'd been putting a tablespoonful in my coffee EVERYDAY....I'm going to cut it down to 1/2 tsp because I don't see it helping me any either!! Thanks again.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    No way would I put it in my coffee but in my frying pan, on my hair, on my face, on my body - hell yes!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys....that's the info I've been looking for. They described it as being this super food that aids in weight loss. I'd been putting a tablespoonful in my coffee EVERYDAY....I'm going to cut it down to 1/2 tsp because I don't see it helping me any either!! Thanks again.

Yeah, never believe anyone who tells you that there are "superfoods" that will magically help you lose weight.

Coconut oil is good for cosmetic uses and also is useful in cooking for it's low melt/high smoke point. It also has fats that are believed to be (but the conventional wisdom on this is always shifting) healthier than many alternatives. I like to use it in Thai and Indian stir-fries because the flavor complements their spice blends nicely. I don't use it for foods where a coconut flavor wouldn't do. (I know someone who used it to fry peppers and onions for an Italian dish...NOT A FAN.)

Do you like the oil in your coffee? If it makes your coffee tasty to you, go ahead, just be aware that fats (including coconut oil) are calorie-dense and log accordingly. If you don't like it and are only adding it because you think it's "good for you?" Stop. It's not a magical medicine to choke down.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Same effect as cool-aid. Never mess with someone's cool-aid. Seriously though, the MCT's in coconut oil to show the effectiveness of the minimal studies that support the fat burning reported would need to have that person consuming extreme amounts of MCT and not necessarily the actual coconut oil, but the extracted MCT's from the coconut oil.....like most fads, there is always a smear of truth to them, but the science and effect never goes along for the ride, only adjectives and accolades of greatness. If you like it consume it, but putting it coffee is well, kinda goofy imo.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    it is REALLY tasty for low temp frying...
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm with randomtai...it's a great deep treatment or finishing layer for your hair. Other than that it's just fat calories the same as any other oil.
  • melodyesch
    melodyesch Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use a TBS to cook popcorn on the stove because I like the taste of it. I notice no difference when I use it to when I don't. I treat it like any other oil.
  • eloise80
    eloise80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Completely obsessed with my afternoon snack:

2 T popcorn
    couple sprays coconut oil
    1 T nutritional yeast

200 Cals of salty coconutty cheezy heaven!

Also keep a jar in my shower- it's been amazing for my skin this winter. Never tried it in my hair or tea. That kinda grosses me out Lol
  • randomtai
    Options
    eloise80 wrote: »

2 T popcorn
    1 T nutritional yeast

Also keep a jar in my shower- it's been amazing for my skin this winter. Never tried it in my hair or tea. That kinda grosses me out Lol

Rubbing it on your skin is fine, but putting it in your hair grosses you out??? Oooook... :noway:
  • sgfoster110
    sgfoster110 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Use it on skin all the time. Keeps skin moist and soft.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

2 T popcorn
    1 T nutritional yeast

Rubbing it on your skin is fine, but putting it in your hair grosses you out??? Oooook... :noway:

Yeah, it's not like you gob it on. Just a tiny amount in your palms, rub together and smooth over your hair like any other shine or finish treatment. I use about twice as much when it's a deep treatment but even then it's only about the size of a lima bean and I wash it out after letting it sit. It's especially good for naturally curly hair. Not even a little bit gross.

• janetsalley
    janetsalley Posts: 122 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Same effect as cool-aid. Never mess with someone's cool-aid. Seriously though, the MCT's in coconut oil to show the effectiveness of the minimal studies that support the fat burning reported would need to have that person consuming extreme amounts of MCT and not necessarily the actual coconut oil, but the extracted MCT's from the coconut oil.....like most fads, there is always a smear of truth to them, but the science and effect never goes along for the ride, only adjectives and accolades of greatness. If you like it consume it, but putting it coffee is well, kinda goofy imo.

Thanks for you guys input!!! Neanderthin....I don't think its goofy, it actually gives your coffee a smooth taste. I was putting it in my coffee because it made it easier to digest...but I ended up really liking it!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

2 T popcorn
    1 T nutritional yeast

I think it was the tea bit that grossed her out.

Straight haired folk need to be really parched and brittle to handle a coconut oil mask(I'd look like an oil slick if I tried it)...but curly haired folk (especially those with genetically African-type hair) swear by coconut oil as a fabulous treatment.
  • randomtai
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

2 T popcorn
    1 T nutritional yeast

I think it was the tea bit that grossed her out.

Straight haired folk need to be really parched and brittle to handle a coconut oil mask(I'd look like an oil slick if I tried it)...but curly haired folk (especially those with genetically African-type hair) swear by coconut oil as a fabulous treatment.

One never knows around here. *shrug*