Options
13»

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Wear a hat and nothing that will rust

I think if all you wore was a hat, you would get arrested...

Well, we'll know tonight!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Honestly my favorite time to run is at the start of a snowstorm, the snow is refreshing but not yet building up on the roads and it's peaceful. My 2nd favorite is to run in drizzle, I feel like I'm all tucked away in my own little world and as someone else said earlier there's this hard core feeling about it.
    Our temps in Feb were crazy low but I managed to get outside a few times, it's just no where near as enjoyable to be stuck inside in my opinion.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Honestly my favorite time to run is at the start of a snowstorm, the snow is refreshing but not yet building up on the roads and it's peaceful. My 2nd favorite is to run in drizzle, I feel like I'm all tucked away in my own little world and as someone else said earlier there's this hard core feeling about it.
    Our temps in Feb were crazy low but I managed to get outside a few times, it's just no where near as enjoyable to be stuck inside in my opinion.

+ 1 kajillion on the running in a snowstorm. For my money, there are few more enjoyable ways to exercise.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Wish I could run in the rain. It's the only reason I've considered going back to contact lenses.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I just finished a rainy Scottish run (brrr) but the best bit is getting home, showered and into warm dry clothes.
    When training for a race I daren't shirk rainy runs because it may well rain on race day, and I don't want that to be an unfamiliar factor.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    knitapeace wrote: »
    Wish I could run in the rain. It's the only reason I've considered going back to contact lenses.

I wear a baseball cap and hood on rainy days, keeps the majority of the rain off your glasses. Same thing with snow in case that comes into play.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm ok with rain only if it is also warm. Hate cold wet runs. Had to do my first 1/2 in one though. Boo!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I did a 14.5 mile Spartan Race in 30's temps with rain and hail. Was dressed for 50 degrees like they were calling for. It was not the most fun thing I've ever done....but it was worth it.

Any time you do something absurd that has a good story behind it, it was worth it.

One time a friend and I were out on a long training ride when it was expected to rain all day. The two of us rode 111 miles, climbing 10,000ft in on and off thunderstorms and downpours. Our other riding buddies all bailed on us, but we knew we needed to get that ride in that day (it was the last big ride before an Ironman, so it just had to get done), so we rode.

We finished all caked in road grime and dirt, soaked to the skin, and said "no way" to the planned transition run. We cleaned up and then drank all the beer.

Then we made endless fun of our "less hardcore" friends who chose to skip the epic ride :)

133 miles in blinding torrential rain, thunderstorm and lightening in Texas Hill country, got lost on a 75 mph highway with no shoulder, rode 3 miles on an unmaintained road with my road tires and no cellphone reception, had to cross numerous highways with no traffic support, cell phone died, ride food got wet. Let's just say I prayed a lot that day. God even answered at one point and sent me an angel to get me safely off the highway. lol Yeah, that was an adventure (not to be repeated).
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Yea that's what I am talking about! :)