Staying active on a busy schedule (need advice)

Options
I've recently started a highly sedentary job. Since I'm a full time student as well, I don't really have time in my schedule to go to the gym unless I sacrifice sleep and family time. Considering I only get to see my son for a few hours a day because of my schedule, I'm not giving that time up.

During my job I get two 10-minute breaks and a 30-minute lunch. Are there any suggestions for staying active and losing weight in this situation?

Replies

• coywest462
    coywest462 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I went from working a lot of outside and about 15k steps a day at work to a desk job that makes it difficult.

I can only do the little things at work now, so I go to the furthest restroom in my building which is 750 steps and I also have to take the stairs for that. I park a little further away instead of the closest spot. And I try to walk the 30 minutes for lunch. That is the hardest one to fit in

I have started using the delayed timer more for dinner in oven (if you have one). And it starts on its own while I am out doing something else

I know that isn't much, but it is all I got.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure how old your son is, but couldn’t you include him in some activities? I used to have a racing stroller I’d run with my daughter. I also used to take her on hikes, where I carried her about half the time.
  • dalhectar
    dalhectar Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    4 AM alarm. It takes me a long time to get out of the door but I can likely be out of the door by 4:30 or 4:45, at the gym in 15 minutes. Be done with the gym by 7 and then I have the day for work & family.

If the toddler is asleep by 9 or 9:30 then I'm asleep by 9 or 9:30. You just make it work. There isn't much time for socializing during the week and a show like Better Call Saul that airs on a Monday night might not get watched until Wednesday or Thursday.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    go for a walk on your break or do a few body weight exercises

use family time as exercise time, play tag in the back yard, ride bikes together, go for a family walk or run (not sure how big the kid is? could have him ride a bike while you run or stroller)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I am in that situation and have been for years. I luckily get 2 15 minutes breaks, which I head out on each for a brisk 1 mile walk. I am also lucky that I can eat small things while working, so I head out at lunch and jam in a decent 20 minute workout. Then it comes down to making other time to sneak in at least 30 minutes more of walking or such. My kids are older now so I get lots of evening tennis time.
  • Bandiiit
    Bandiiit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    dalhectar wrote: »
    4 AM alarm. It takes me a long time to get out of the door but I can likely be out of the door by 4:30 or 4:45, at the gym in 15 minutes. Be done with the gym by 7 and then I have the day for work & family.

If the toddler is asleep by 9 or 9:30 then I'm asleep by 9 or 9:30. You just make it work. There isn't much time for socializing during the week and a show like Better Call Saul that airs on a Monday night might not get watched until Wednesday or Thursday.

I'm at school 10AM - 2PM and then work from 3pm - 11pm (during 2pm and 3pm I eat lunch). When I get home I work on homework (which is necessary to pass any college class) until 1AM. All in all, waking up at 4AM and working out, going to school and work on 3 hours of sleep everyday is not happening.
  • Bandiiit
    Bandiiit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure how old your son is, but couldn’t you include him in some activities? I used to have a racing stroller I’d run with my daughter. I also used to take her on hikes, where I carried her about half the time.

He's a year old. We go on walks in the morning when the weather is nice but it being winter and all.... I only get 2 hours a day with him which consists of making sure he eats breakfast and is ready for the baby sitter.
  • 9Rounder
    9Rounder Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have a standing desk at my job and love it. It makes me shift around all day and I find myself walking around more since I'm already upright! I also use the bathroom 2 floors down (take the stairs), and since I drink a lot of water, it's every hour for sure I go. Can you walk around for 5 minutes every hour? Or are you chained to your desk? That's a bit harder. Can you work in a nice solid 60-75 minute workout on both weekend days? And you can work it in while playing with your kid. Go to the park, take a walk, Xbox Kinect or Wii. Don't give up sleep for exercise. Just eat within your calories and move as much as you can.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I would say maybe a quick workout or walk during lunch, but really keep your food under control, and use a food scale. It won't help with fitness, but you can lose weight without working out. At least that might carry you through until school gets out.
  • TCO76
    TCO76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Just replying to original post and didn't read any responses....

We all have busy lives and have to make time. Some wake up in the early morning and some do it on lunch breaks. Some, late at night. Unfortunately there are also some who just refuse to fit it in. Which is okay too.

All about how much you want something and how far your willing to go to obtain it. I have always said if I have time to watch one of my shows, or be on Facebook or any social media for any length of time, than I probably have time to sacrifice.

Good luck