weighed raw chicken and it came to 5.9 ounces.Then grilled it and weighed it again-4.8 ounces? why?

Options
Do the calories and nutrients and macros remain the same? Why does this happen?

How should I log it?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The difference is likely water that evaporated during cooking. Use the cooked weight.
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Because some of the fat was rendered out. I would use the cooked weight.
  • superstarkezza
    superstarkezza Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    Options
    it would remain the same if what you looked up was the amount of calories for 'raw' chicken--I always weigh mine raw but make sure I'm seeing cals for raw not for cooked...water some fat etc will cook off...
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I always log cooked weight. Grilling takes a lot out of most meats as the fat drips off and water evaporates.
  • superstarkezza
    Options
    i find the problem with weighing cooked weight is sometimes im adding breading a curry sauce or sauces in stir fry for example and i cant pick the chicken out and weigh it..so i just weigh all the things separately
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I log the raw weight. There's a raw chicken option in the database.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm going to actually recommend using the raw weight. Everyone cooks their chicken differently and a moist piece of chicken is going to weigh more than an overly done, dry piece of chicken.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Which ever one you want to go with, pick the right entry. If you choose to use the raw weight, pick the raw chicken entry. If you choose to use the cooked weight, pick the cooked chicken entry.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I log the cooked weight. If I add breading, or a sauce or anything like that, I log it separately. It doesn't add much weight to the chicken anyway.
  • dbobb77
    dbobb77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You should always go with raw weight...sure you lose moisture and very little fat so over all you are still getting the same amount of protein and calories. Also, look at the package, it will state if its contents are for raw or cooked and that will tell you how to weigh it. I weigh everything raw.
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Haha hahaha
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to go with raw weight if possible. Cooked weights are available because sometimes that's the only option. But for best accuracy, weigh raw when possible.

Pasta and rice should be measured dry. Same thing applies. There are cooked options but dry is best.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    dbobb77 wrote: »
    You should always go with raw weight...sure you lose moisture and very little fat so over all you are still getting the same amount of protein and calories. Also, look at the package, it will state if its contents are for raw or cooked and that will tell you how to weigh it. I weigh everything raw.
    Agreed. Plus people just get confused when 6 oz raw is 20g's protein and 4 oz cooked also has 20g's protein. (arbitrary number)

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Because some of the fat was rendered out. I would use the cooked weight.
    Typically calories listed are based on the raw weight. A cooked chicken breast could vary wildly in weight based on how long or how you cook it.