Advice on lifting for a beginner woman. Barbell specifically. So confused...

Options
fddee
fddee Posts: 24 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So.. I am on my second week of Billip Phillips, Back to fit, from bodybuilding.com. The workouts require freewights and I am feeling ok navigating my way around the weight room, but I need some tips.
First, I need to do a barbell press on an incline and I am super nervous about it, last week I just did a dumbell press, is that an ok substitute? I am afraid of screwing up with the barbell, picking the wrong weight, making an *kitten* out of myself infront of all these men, and possibly hurting myself. I grabbed those little fixed weight barbells , but they dont fit on the bench rack. Suggestions? tips?

ALso, his workout requires a circuit of 5 exercises in a row of 10 reps each with a 2 minute rest between, 5 times. But.. The machines in my gym are not near the weights so I have to do theworkout with 4 of the exercises and thn do one exercise seperately. Am I wasting my time??

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Try it with just the bar first. Then slowly work your way up in weight from there.

As for how the program is set up, I can't help you there. I've never done it.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Start with the barbell first. If its too easy then slowly add weight. Also, doing it with dumbbells is actually better because your independently working each body part. Once you've figured out the bench you should still alternate the same workout with dumbbells. It'll help fix weak areas. Don't be afraid to ask a guy or girl how to complete an exercise or to assist you.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the program you mentioned so I'll give you my general opinion. The folks that write these programs use certain exercises for a reason and if there are substitutes they'll usually call them out, so you should do it as written. Using a commercial gym for a circuit like that is very difficult and you'll probably have to go in an off-hour to actually pull it off.

Check videos on YouTube for form and that should help you. If you can't incline press the bar then you may have to start with DB's; I know that contradicts my previous statement but if you don't have a certain baseline of strength then you need to start somewhere.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't do incline presses, just regular bench presses, but I had to start with two 15lb dumbells to start. After about a month of that, I was finally able to graduate to the bar on its own.
  • fddee
    Options
    You are all so helpful! Thank you sooo much!
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I would say stick with the dumbbells until you can press 20# each hand. Then move to the barbell & do your first series with just the bar, as suggested above.
  • fddee
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    I would say stick with the dumbbells until you can press 20# each hand. Then move to the barbell & do your first series with just the bar, as suggested above.

This is helpful. I just started last week and can only do 12-15# currently. Thank you VERY much.