Favorite Kitchen tools/appliances that keep you eating healthy

Options

Replies

• jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    rumijs wrote: »
    This one probably seems silly to some, but I was recently gifted an egg cooker and it's my favorite thing to use in the kitchen now! It fits 6 eggs and is timed for how boiled you'd like the eggs, or can make poached/cooked omelet/ etc. It's small and quick to use.

I used to cook eggs in microwave if I was too busy to use stove in morning, or boil eggs on stove. Not that doing that was too difficult or time consuming, I just like not having to watch over them with this.

This is the one I have

I'm thinking about purchasing a kitchen scale. Any recommendations for best value of one? I'd like to keep it cheap, but don't mind paying a little extra for better quality/accuracy/extra perks.

I like your avatar
  • pchenley
    pchenley Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My son bought a sandwich maker for me for Christmas. I didn't think I would like it, but it's great to fix a homemade egg McMuffin. I use Thomas Hearty Wheat English Muffins, an egg, and canadian bacon. If I add cheese, it's either lowfat or fat free cheddar. Works great for an occasional craving for the foods like an egg McMuffin! It's a little round appliance that you lay the bottom half of the muffin in the bottom of the maker, put the cheese and canadian bacon on top of that, then it has a surface that folds down that you break the egg into and then lay the top half of the english muffin directly on the egg. close the main lid and time it for 5 minutes. This way is much healthier!

I also love my George Foreman Grill. I use mine almost every day.
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Can't pick one but I love my nutribullet, rice cooker, George Foreman grill and kitchen scale. In answer to your concerns about whether you would continue to use the bullet, I almost never use mine to make drinkable smoothies. I most often use it to make homemade hummus, guacamole, salsa, veggie smoothies to be added to meatloaf/burgers/soups/etc., blend homemade spice mixes...all kinds of things besides smoothies to go.
    Good point. Love homemade salsa and dips!
  • blueridgeloner
    blueridgeloner Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Scale goes without saying around here HAHA. Hate to say it, but a microwave is probably at the top, with my George Foreman a VERY close second. Third would be a pressure cooker even though its not an appliance. Fourth would be my vaccum sealer. Funny thing is my microwave died this evening and I am on the hunt. Going to have to replace it ASAP. I use it to fix my steamed veggies and green giant steamer packs almost daily.
  • beautyzlight
    Options
    Most definitely.... my blender, I have to have it to have my shakes in the morning which get me going!! ;)
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Kitchen scale, food processor, electric grill, my very good non stick pan, spriralizer.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    You know, I was thinking about this thread, and Im going to have to add my scale on there. Ive only had it a week now, so in comparison to my other two *must haves* that Ive been using for a decade or more, I didnt think to include it..but...

I must say, I already wonder how I managed to do anything without it! Not just for the aspect of keeping track of calories, but also generally speaking for baking and such..to get my quantities right and produce better results.
  • karinagw
    karinagw Posts: 25
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm thinking about purchasing a kitchen scale. Any recommendations for best value of one? I'd like to keep it cheap, but don't mind paying a little extra for better quality/accuracy/extra perks.

You can get a non-electric kitchen scale from Bed Bath and Beyond for around six bucks. It's accurate. It measures up to 18oz/500g. It takes up practically no room. I use it all the time.

Just looked it up, it's called Polder® Diet Utility Scale
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I got mine at Walmart for $20 (I later heard the same one is a BB&B for less than that) it has "The Biggest Loser" printed on it, which is sort of annoying to me, but whatever LoL

Its digital, and the thing I love about it is that when Im putting together my plate, I just set my plate on it, and tare it after everything I place on there. Makes it *very* easy to measure exactly whats going on my plate with literally no extra effort...
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    One thing I love is my cheap ceramic-bladed mandoline. It makes slicing veg like summer squash, etc., a breeze. The Kerocera one I have was only about $20 and it goes through the dishwasher like a champ.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Love my scale, but my favorite kitchen thing has to be my cast iron griddle \grill pan. It gets used most nights to grill meats with little to no added oil. I don't even bother to put it away I use it so often. It lives on 2 of my stove burners. I got it when my old George Foreman died and like it even better.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I bought a food scale. I love it and use it frequently. What a B) shock when you visualize what a portion should look like.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Food scale
    Ninja blender
    George Foreman
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Vitamix
    Food Processor
    Veggetti Spiral Cutter
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    karinagw wrote: »

You can get a non-electric kitchen scale from Bed Bath and Beyond for around six bucks. It's accurate. It measures up to 18oz/500g. It takes up practically no room. I use it all the time.

Just looked it up, it's called Polder® Diet Utility Scale

500g would never cut it for me, lol.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Mine is most definitely my soup/smoothie maker that I use every single day to make a healthy breakfast smoothie and also to make soup for lunch. If it broke I would replace it straight away!
  • LittleNell107
    LittleNell107 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Really low-tech, but mine's a metal veg steamer basket that I can just pop in a pan when I need it.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I love my juicer, my mandolin slicer and my veggie spiral noodle cutter. I don't know how I lived without my mandolin slicer, it saves me so much prep time. I like to cook a ton of veggies and can bang out a stir fry so fast with that thing.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mine would be my Ninja blender and my toaster oven. The toaster gets used every night. Throw my eggs with some veggies in a ramekin, set toaster and take my shower. Get out and dry off to hot food. Of course all weighed with a digital scale. Ninja makes my favorite treat... peanut butter!
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    So many to choose from, it's hard to pick just one. I love my scanpan frying pan, my immersion blender, my Panini press. But (and while this isn't in my kitchen) if I absolutely had to pick one, my Traeger grill. I use it several times a week.