Is this feeling normal?

I just got back from an 8 mile bike ride on my new bike and my shoulders - particularly my left one - are quite sore and stiff. My fingers also got a bit tingly during the ride as well. Does anyone else experience this? How can I alleviate it?

If anyone else has any related fitness questions, feel free to post those here as well!

Replies

• taylorvanhooren
    taylorvanhooren Posts: 26 Member
    your hands and shoulders may be sore from leaning in the handlebars with a lot of weight. try not to put so much weight on them, keeping your shoulders up. could also be from rounding your back too much.
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Ditto above. Also, be mindful of how much you're gripping the handlebars. I had similar issues, and somebody on a group ride pointed out my death grip during the ride. Since then, a more relaxed grip -- which I have to consciously monitor -- helps avoid some of that soreness.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Get padded cycling gloves will help the finger problem.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    You might need to play with your saddle height and fore-aft positioning.
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Thanks for the advice!
  • tinallen863
    tinallen863 Posts: 50 Member
    edited March 2015
    Exact same: tingly fingers, sore upper back, shoulders. Just got back from my 2nd ride of the season. I usually get accustomed to it. It's worth it for the work out, so much more fun than weights!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    You are not weird. Both me and my buddy who do a lot of cycling together get this. I do not know the 'fix' but usually stretch the fingers out and make a fist/ then release it during the ride to minimize the effect. I would describe the feeling as 'it feels asleep'.
  • believeinme0430
    believeinme0430 Posts: 270 Member
    I have the same problem when me and my husband go out biking. I have had to stop for a few minutes just to get the tingling to stop and get the feeling back in my hands.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    The first few long rides each season, I have to concentrate on keeping my shoulders and elbows dropped and relaxed, rather than all tensed up.

Padded cycling gloves might also help. I use Giro Bravo ones I got off Amazon (~$20), but honestly, up til around 25 miles I was fine with $7 weightlifting gloves in the fitness section at Wal-Mart.

Doing some core work might also help reduce the strain on your arms and shoulders.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Did your bike shop do a proper fit for your bike? Improper fit is the usual reason for most discomfort experienced, especially on a new bike.

The tingling in your hands is usually a result of putting too much pressure on them, relax your grip (a pair of padded bike gloves can't hurt either, especially if the surface you're riding on is bumpy - the vibrations get transmitted right into your hands and up your arms)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Did your bike shop do a proper fit for your bike? Improper fit is the usual reason for most discomfort experienced, especially on a new bike.

The tingling in your hands is usually a result of putting too much pressure on them, relax your grip (a pair of padded bike gloves can't hurt either, especially if the surface you're riding on is bumpy - the vibrations get transmitted right into your hands and up your arms)

This ^^

I see so many people trying to ride on bicycles that are not set up properly for them.

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

This ^^

I see so many people trying to ride on bicycles that are not set up properly for them.

Totally agree with this! A fair number of people have bikes that are not the right size for them and/or not correctly set up.
    INvesting in a good set up is worth every cent.