how do I relax a tight hamstring?

Options
In Sept, I was showing off to the kids my mad jump roping skills. (Look, kids, mommy can criss cross!) and I have had plantar fasciitis ever since. I've been seeing improvement, but then some days, it just flares up again. I've started exercising this week, and for the most part, it feels great! But, when it comes to stability on that leg...it's bad.

What kind of exercises should I do to loosen my calf muscles before I work out? Or to strengthen the muscles? I'm not sure what I need!

Thanks!

Replies

• TCO76
    TCO76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Google and youtube will yield instant results with visuals.......
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hamstrings, PF, calves...
    It seems you may need some stretching exercises. There are yoga stretches that help alleviate sciatica and may be a good solution for your issue.
    "SuperFeet" (I use green) are good insoles that helped me get rid of PF. There are other forms of therapy for PF as well.
    I would see a doctor.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it sounds like you have all sorts of stuff going on with tight muscles that is helping drive the PF. A couple appointments with a physical therapist to develop a comprehensive stretching and strengthening program would probably do you a *world* of good.

I like Profoot heel inserts as a stopgap measure against PF, but the real solution is flexibility and strength in the plantar fascia and the rest of your legs. :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    TCO76 wrote: »
    Google and youtube will yield instant results with visuals.......

Yup.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I would stretch out my hamstrings before I got out of bed in the morning and throughout the day, too. A good set of inserts help a lot. Dr. Scholl's has a foot mapper in our local pharmacies, that can help you select a good insert.

http://www.footmapping.ca/

Mine resolved itself after I lost significant weight.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Foam roller.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I recommend including foam rolling along with a good stretching routine.
  • tiona83
    tiona83 Posts: 99 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I use tennis balls… rolling the ball on the bottom of the arch of your foot while sitting down. It does wonders.
    I second Brandiuntz about the foam roller.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Foam roller.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Get a foam roller and a lacrosse ball. Roll the muscles and when you hit a pain point, hold that pressure for about 30 seconds. You should feel the fascia release and then you can move on to the rest of the legs. I use the foam roller on my quads and hamstrings, the lacrosse ball on my calves and feet.
  • happymom24
    happymom24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have a spiky roller that I use on my foot when it's really bad, and I have looked online for PF stretches and do them before getting out of bed. I thought maybe there was something I was missing that I should add to my routine. I will add some more extensive stretching.
  • I_am_WonderWoman
    I_am_WonderWoman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also recommend trying a foam roller. Here is a great 20-minute yoga flow for hamstrings. It always makes my hamstrings happy erinmotz.com/20-minute-yoga-a-flow-for-hamstring-flexibility/